RECRUITING INSIDER: Rasir Bolton decision coming soon (commits!)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This x1000.

LOL, our fans are just so damn touchy/clingy/whiny - whatever you want to call it. If Bolton commits and is eligible right away, it's a solid spring. It's not an incredible-omg-blow-your-load-over-everything spring, it's a solid spring. And that's fine. Nothing at all wrong with a solid spring. A couple years ago, the spring brought in Beverly, Brase, and missed out on key guys like Juiston. That spring was a sub-par spring. Factually, objectively sub-par. People who expressed concerned then were correct to express concern. Signing Bolton this week doesn't change the facts of history. What signing Bolton does do is completes a solid spring effort from the staff. Not "amazing". Not "incredible". Just realistically, objectively solid.

Wow. Just. Wow.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I'd rather have Johnson than Nadolny now that we got Grill. You could argue 3 years of Bolton is better than one year of Tucker too

I don't disagree with you. I think that's what you would have to decide...what would be better for next year and what would be better for beyond next year.

Clearly the Grill, Johnson, and Bolton (fingers crossed) group is better for the long term and I think I'm good with that.

Reactions: CyTwins

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So what exactly is the waiver that he's trying to get and what are the odds he could play this year?

Nobody knows.. accept isu staff probably.. really if you can provide documentation that staying at a current place is detrimental to your well being than it’s usually a good bet to get a waiver.. ncaa has relaxed its requirements substantially it seems. That doesn’t mean Bolton would get one just saying it’s not as difficult as before.

Within next 2-3 years I doubt there’s much of any transfer restrictions..

• Informative
Reactions: ArgentCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think you could argue getting Tucker or Gilder or one of the more sought after GT to go with an eligible Bolton would have been better than Grill/Bolton/Johnson but it seems like Prohm was looking for a HS/Sit out/eligible guy from the get go. Taking that in to account, I'd give a class with Bolton an A.

The really nice thing about Bolton is, he fills the gap left by the two early departures, a gap that would cover multiple seasons. It also sets things up perfect for 20-21 and beyond. Barring something out of the ordinary happening next year, Prohm should bring back at minimum, 4/5 starters for 20-21, that's with Solo and some younger guys with potential at PG and on the wing in mix as well. Perfect fit for Foster and Carlson.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Just because I like a challenge...

Nadolny, Tucker (if he graduates), and Grill?
I'd rather have Johnson than Nadolny now that we got Grill. You could argue 3 years of Bolton is better than one year of Tucker too

Considering Tre Jackson is incoming I feel it was the staffs preference to only add one of Nadolny, Grill or Wheeler. I'd even argue that Grill's size shooting and versatility to play SG/SF is a better fit in the class. Nadolny and Wheeler are pretty locked into PG and some SG thus redundant with Jackson.
Johnson was a high upside player with pro traits of size and shooting that is raw and use the RS season to develop into a Clyburn type. Exactly what the staff wanted, they targeted him early and got the commitment.

If they get Rasir that would satisfy the staffs desire of a proven P5 scorer at the guard to lessen the need of Grill and Jackson to produce as freshman.

In the end, the staff has done well in the spring this year, especially I don't think they expected losing 3 players to the Pro's until late in the year. I won't give a grade because we need to see how the additions end up playing but they executed their plan. That is all we as fans can ask for.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Considering Tre Jackson is incoming I feel it was the staffs preference to only add one of Nadolny, Grill or Wheeler. I'd even argue that Grill's size shooting and versatility to play SG/SF is a better fit in the class. Nadolny and Wheeler are pretty locked into PG and some SG thus redundant with Jackson.
Johnson was a high upside player with pro traits of size and shooting that is raw and use the RS season to develop into a Clyburn type. Exactly what the staff wanted, they targeted him early and got the commitment.

If they get Rasir that would satisfy the staffs desire of a proven P5 scorer at the guard to lessen the need of Grill and Jackson to produce as freshman.

In the end, the staff has done well in the spring this year, especially I don't think they expected losing 3 players to the Pro's until late in the year. I won't give a grade because we need to see how the additions end up playing but they executed their plan. That is all we as fans can ask for.

I think James Kane was the one that targeted Johnson. He is the same one who found Ja Morant at Murray so I trust his talent evaluation.