RECRUITING INSIDER: Rasir Bolton decision coming soon (commits!)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I love how people act like being critical of a coach = hate Prohm or you’re either with him or against. Before Grill I’ll admit I was not feeling good about the spring recruiting. I think Prohm has done a really good job given all the scrambling he had to do. I am also not gonna act like he just assembled the 95 Bulls.

The difference is, you are willing to adjust your opinion based on results. There are some people who would see the additions and still criticize his recruiting ability and blame him for the players leaving for the pros as well.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I love how people act like being critical of a coach = hate Prohm or you’re either with him or against. Before Grill I’ll admit I was not feeling good about the spring recruiting. I think Prohm has done a really good job given all the scrambling he had to do. I am also not gonna act like he just assembled the 95 Bulls.

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cyence and CYCLNST8

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There ARE haters. Doesn't mean that you are (or aren't). Nobody was feeling good about Spring recruiting for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There ARE haters. Doesn't mean that you are (or aren't). Nobody was feeling good about Spring recruiting for a while.

Yeah, it felt kind of bleak when we were 0/2 on Wheeler and Frenchie.

Caleb Grill to the rescue.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

There is reasonable criticism, and then there is unreasonable.

You have to wait til the guys in question, actually say yes I am going pro or yes i am not returning.

If Prohm added more guys in the fall assuming these guys are leaving and they decided to stay then what? Maybe he thought Lard would actually get his **** together.

You say he had to scramble, maybe he did, but did it ever occur to anyone that guys in their teens and early 20's are not the most reliable when it comes to what they want to do. So he had to wait on guys.

A few people ***** he does not get high enough level guys, there is one known poster on here who bitched the problem was that he signed too many high level guys, but that tool gripes about everything.

Not saying he hasn't made some bad coaching decisions, but his recruiting overall has been extremely strong. I do think he has learned that certain types of players are not worth the headaches, their 5 stars will sometimes bring.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

Ah, if only you could have held back from typing that last sentence...

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
This x1000.

LOL, our fans are just so damn touchy/clingy/whiny - whatever you want to call it. If Bolton commits and is eligible right away, it's a solid spring. It's not an incredible-omg-blow-your-load-over-everything spring, it's a solid spring. And that's fine. Nothing at all wrong with a solid spring. A couple years ago, the spring brought in Beverly, Brase, and missed out on key guys like Juiston. That spring was a sub-par spring. Factually, objectively sub-par. People who expressed concerned then were correct to express concern. Signing Bolton this week doesn't change the facts of history. What signing Bolton does do is completes a solid spring effort from the staff. Not "amazing". Not "incredible". Just realistically, objectively solid.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If they land Bolton, I would give their spring recruiting a B. Got some help for future years which is great but nothing that will help immediately for next. I think if Bolton is eligible I might but it at a B+.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That's exactly what a Prohm hater would say.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Not only that but if you disagree or you are critical of Prohm. You love Hoiberg and Prohm will never be good enough. Fact of the matter is a lot of people questioned a lot of Hoiberg in game coaching decisions when he was here as well. All coaches will be questioned if a team loses a game or a big recruit. It's the nature of the beast.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This x1000.

LOL, our fans are just so damn touchy/clingy/whiny - whatever you want to call it. If Bolton commits and is eligible right away, it's a solid spring. It's not an incredible-omg-blow-your-load-over-everything spring, it's a solid spring. And that's fine. Nothing at all wrong with a solid spring. A couple years ago, the spring brought in Beverly, Brase, and missed out on key guys like Juiston. That spring was a sub-par spring. Factually, objectively sub-par. People who expressed concerned then were correct to express concern. Signing Bolton this week doesn't change the facts of history. What signing Bolton does do is completes a solid spring effort from the staff. Not "amazing". Not "incredible". Just realistically, objectively solid.

This post conveniently leaves out Shayok (who was our best player last season and one of the few best in the conference) and Jacobson (who was a solid starter in the Big 12 and a huge part of us cutting down the nets in Kansas City two months ago).

In terms of immediately eligible guys, that spring was kind of a bust, yes, but the sit-out guys found at the same time turned out to be pretty important pieces for us.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This post conveniently leaves out Shayok (who was our best player last season and one of the few best in the conference) and Jacobson (who was a solid starter in the Big 12 and a huge part of us cutting down the nets in Kansas City two months ago).

In terms of immediately eligible guys, that spring was kind of a bust, yes, but the sit-out guys found at the same time turned out to be pretty important pieces for us.

Yeah Shayok and Jacobson are near the top of the best recruits Prohm has gotten. In fact, you could make a case that based on results they are the best he has gotten.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yep. Different sport but see QB Justin Fields from Georgia to Ohio State. Waiver granted.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...b-justin-fields-play-ohio-state-buckeyes-2019
"The NCAA adjusted its policy last spring to make it easier for transferring athletes to find an immediate path to the playing field. The new rules state that a player can be granted a waiver to play right away if he can show "documented mitigation circumstances" that the change of schools was made to better impact his 'health, safety and well-being.'"

If that is the case I hope Bolton has the proper documentation available.

This sounds like a pass/fail essay test in which you just have to write something. Even if you don't know the answer, just write something and use the key words.

"The following is documentation . . . of circumstances . . . related to the mitigation . . . effects on health . . . concern for safety . . . importance for well-being . . . more documentation . . . about mitigation . . . under these circumstances . . . for the fairness of the student/athlete."

Pass, regardless of what else you wrote! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: cyence

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This x1000.

The spring that brought Beverly and Brase also brought Shayock and Jacobson. In my opinion, that was solid.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Bolton commits and he's immediately eligible: massive win
Bolton commits and he has to sit out next year: uh oh hope Griffin/Lewis are ready

This is why I have a hard time seeing this spring as a big success. If Bolton has to sit out then ISU missed on getting an immediately eligible guard, their #1 priority by a mile.

The future looks great if he has to sit.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah Shayok and Jacobson are near the top of the best recruits Prohm has gotten. In fact, you could make a case that based on results they are the best he has gotten.

You would have a case there. You would have one with guys like Donovan Jackson, Solomon Young, and Tyrese Haliburton, too. Wigginton and Horton-Tucker definitely had the most heraldry of his recruits, but their long-term impact on the program is going to be less than somebody like Tyrese likely will end up being. His recruiting was good enough to win a Big 12 tournament title and a #16 rating on Bart Torvik, so he must be doing something right.

It seems to be going okay on the transfer front, too -- we were starting three transfers last year with Shayok, Jacobson, and Nick. Seems like Transfer U is still a thing if you look.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
This is why I have a hard time seeing this spring as a big success. If Bolton has to sit out then ISU missed on getting an immediately eligible guard, their #1 priority by a mile.

The future looks great if he has to sit.

The only immediately eligible guard they had visit (Tucker) might not even graduate college to be a grad transfer. At least he didn’t commit to ISU, that’d be such a nut kick

Help Support Us

Become a patron