***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm a little disappointed it doesn't appear we are pursuing Jaire Grayer. Feels like he would be a lock to come here if we wanted him. 6'5; scored 12.3 PPG and grabbed 7.3 RPG as a Junior

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm a little disappointed it doesn't appear we are pursuing Jaire Grayer. Feels like he would be a lock to come here if we wanted him. 6'5; scored 12.3 PPG and grabbed 7.3 RPG as a Junior

I love me some legacies, like Nick was, but...

upload_2019-4-12_21-20-3.png

...his numbers against Top 100 and Top 50 schools is not too encouraging.

George Mason was 5th of 14 in the A-10 last year.

Granted, that was a shortened season for him. He was better as a junior.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I love me some legacies, like Nick was, but...

View attachment 63710

...his numbers against Top 100 and Top 50 schools is not too encouraging.

George Mason was 5th of 14 in the A-10 last year.

Granted, that was a shortened season for him. He was better as a junior.
Yeah I didn't even look at his senior #'s since he only played a couple games. Seemed like a nice player at first glance, but I didn't look into the advanced stats at all.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah I didn't even look at his senior #'s since he only played a couple games. Seemed like a nice player at first glance, but I didn't look into the advanced stats at all.

I would that, at 6'5", the junior version is intriguing.

He was a low-efficiency, high-volume scorer at a lowish/middish-major, though.

I would hope there were better options.

Funny how our need this season is a volume scorer when we have been looking for everything but a volume scorer in the spring for so long.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would that, at 6'5", the junior version is intriguing.

He was a low-efficiency, high-volume scorer at a lowish/middish-major, though.

I would hope there were better options.

Funny how our need this season is a volume scorer when we have been looking for everything but a volume scorer in the spring for so long.
The only guards we're in on currently are Grille and Nadolny, right? Maybe Prohm feels good with Lewis and the other guards coming in.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
The only guards we're in on currently are Grille and Nadolny, right? Maybe Prohm feels good with Lewis and the other guards coming in.

Prohms teams always revolve around more than one point guard. My guess he doesn't feel confident in the point guards he has next two years. He has guards, but maybe he's not convinced he has the right point guards.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Prohms teams always revolve around more than one point guard. My guess he doesn't feel confident in the point guards he has next two years. He has guards, but maybe he's not convinced he has the right point guards.
Haliburton seems to be a perfect fit at PG next year. Behind him, it seems like we have combo guards. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel good with Tyrese running the point next year.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Haliburton seems to be a perfect fit at PG next year. Behind him, it seems like we have combo guards. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel good with Tyrese running the point next year.

Yeah, I really doubt it is anything but handing Tyrese the keys to the PG spot for next season and until he decides to leave Ames for a professional basketball career.

I know you want two PGs on your roster just as a matter of policy, but Tyrese has already proven he can play 35+ minutes per game at pretty good efficiencies.

The real need is proven, volume scoring. A scrap heap Shayok/Wigginton, either from some external source or development of Leech, Lewis, or Griffin. From what I have seen, Lewis has the scoring part in bursts, but his defense can be ugly.

Nadolny and Grill are depth and development guys. I think you hope you can have some good minutes out of them as freshmen, and particularly on a team that is going to have so many guard minutes up in the air, but it is not an absolute requirement.

Something like...

-- one of the freshman guards
-- a grad transfer... somewhere between Kane and Beverly... yes, I know, wide range, but he doesn't need to be an AA, but he needs to be a viable Big 12 player, not a scrub
-- a redshirt in the Shayok or Nixon mold, hopefully a wing

...and we had a very successful spring.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
We’ve lost a lot of talent at guard, but we also lost a lot of games in the paint. I would like to see 2 guards and 1 forward to replace the 2 guards and 1 forward leaving.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
We’ve lost a lot of talent at guard, but we also lost a lot of games in the paint. I would like to see 2 guards and 1 forward to replace the 2 guards and 1 forward leaving.

Nothing Prohm has said in interviews suggests he will go more than half time using a traditional lineup. In fact his words were 10-15 minutes. Plus there is the basis of what he has run in the past. It is just his style. To run a small lineup, he desperately needs guards. Talented ones.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman