Hoiberg to Huskers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One thing I noticed from Fred's interview with Keith Murphy is he said he was happy to turn around the ISU program and was happy for coach Prohm for taking it to the next level. Is he referring to taking recruiting to the next level? If so I can agree with him, if hes talking about taking the program to the next level I dont know what hes talking about.

We were 3 seeds and going to the Sweet 16 and winning tournament games, to me taking that to the next level is getting to Elite 8's or Final 4's, with an occasional chance at a Big 12 championship, getting 1 or 2 seeds. Instead they've gotten 5 and 6 seeds, I dont know what level he's talking about but his comments made no sense.

Jesus. Let it ******* go. We get it. You hate prohm. Go be an Iowa fan or a Nebraska fan or a Kansas State fan. You sure as hell aren’t an Iowa State fan.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
With the situation nebbie basketball is in, they can’t appear as a stepping stone for another college job after the investment they made to bring Fred in.

It would be a much easier narrative to control if he leaves if he went to the league. Much better than if he was there for 3-4 years, won some games and went to a better college job.

Well yeah, but he made it a bit easier to recruit against him. I sure as hell wouldn’t sign him for 3.5 million without a more serious nba buyout.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
One thing I noticed from Fred's interview with Keith Murphy is he said he was happy to turn around the ISU program and was happy for coach Prohm for taking it to the next level. Is he referring to taking recruiting to the next level? If so I can agree with him, if hes talking about taking the program to the next level I dont know what hes talking about.

We were 3 seeds and going to the Sweet 16 and winning tournament games, to me taking that to the next level is getting to Elite 8's or Final 4's, with an occasional chance at a Big 12 championship, getting 1 or 2 seeds. Instead they've gotten 5 and 6 seeds, I dont know what level he's talking about but his comments made no sense.

Fred has forgot more about basketball than you will ever know. Maybe that is why you don't understand what he was saying. You know....like a 4 year old trying to understand what he heard about Algebra? Yeah.....that's you. So I will defer to Fred on this issue with Prohm.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
So former Nebraska coach and Cyclone assistant Doc Sadler, who was replaced at Nebraska by Miles, just resigned his head coaching position at Southern Miss and is expected to join Hoiberg's staff in Lincoln.

How weird is it that a school hire a former head coach to return as an assistant? And to give up a head coaching job (he just went 20-13) to become an assistant again? Just weird.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So former Nebraska coach and Cyclone assistant Doc Sadler, who was replaced at Nebraska by Miles, just resigned his head coaching position at Southern Miss and is expected to join Hoiberg's staff in Lincoln.

How weird is it that a school hire a former head coach to return as an assistant? And to give up a head coaching job (he just went 20-13) to become an assistant again? Just weird.
Doc's getting on in years. An assistant position with Fred at this stage would probably be pretty fun for him. ADs and University leadership changes. I'm sure for Doc it's more about Fred and a familiar destination than going back to "the place that fired me".

I know it sucks that Nebraska is the beneficiary of all this but one of the things I really loved about Fred's time at ISU was the FUN. I'll bet Doc missed it too.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Kind of a weird staff. Retain one guy to be for HS recruiter, Abdelmassih to be your transfer guy and then two older guys help with the rest. Thought for sure he'd pay up for a big time proven HS recruiter for the 3rd spot over Doc

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

First bold: did twice. 2nd time lost to a team way worse than Ohio State.

Otherwise was the 8/9 game and a 10 seed.

2nd bold, happened once, and he won a whopping 4 tourney games.

For some the Fred Hoiberg years are starting to grow in legend like the Hayden Fry era for hok fans. Fascinating.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Taking coach statements literally when it's a PR thing is never a good idea.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Taking coach statements literally when it's a PR thing is never a good idea.

You're talking to someone who thinks a college basketball player can't be good for a program if they're not ranked super high in recruiting rankings.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You're talking to someone who thinks a college basketball player can't be good for a program if they're not ranked super high in recruiting rankings.

Maybe. He has actually made several good points in some of these discussion. The blasting he takes for existing on the site is uncalled for. I just disagree on the take here.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe I'm in the minority, and if i'm wrong by all means put me in my rightful place. But are we seriously going to get updates on every recruit that Nebraska gets on this website? I personally couldn't care less, but maybe others want to get updates on the Nebraska recruiting situation.

Offseason....since Butler's not back football season is already over because not every receiver is him and the 19-20 basketball season's over because Fred's first ISU team was fun to watch and the coaches for both programs probably don't think about how to help the situations without checking CF first.

Some people just need a reason not to sleep at night.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Offseason....since Butler's not back football season is already over because not every receiver is him and the 19-20 basketball season's over because Fred's first ISU team was fun to watch and the coaches for both programs probably don't think about how to help the situations without checking CF first.

Some people just need a reason not to sleep at night.

This is a new low even for you, its one thing to rip on me for my posts, but now you are making up complete fiction in an attempt to make me look bad.

I don't even post in the football section that much because Im not into football as much as basketball. I certainly never posted anything like that about Butler leaving and I've never even engaged in any discussion about the team next year without him. Nice try though.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This is a new low even for you, its one thing to rip on me for my posts, but now you are making up complete fiction in an attempt to make me look bad.

I don't even post in the football section that much because Im not into football as much as basketball. I certainly never posted anything like that about Butler leaving and I've never even engaged in any discussion about the team next year without him. Nice try though.

Why did you respond to this post? I don't see that Madguy quoted or mentioned you.