PODCAST: Williams/Blum in-depth on the 18-19 hoops season, next year, Hoiberg etc.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
About a third of the way in and enjoying it, so thanks. Likely a minority position here, but I think you have to include Shayok as one of the two best players on the team. Quiet, but super productive.

Last edited:

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Best transfers:

1. Royce White
2. DeAndre Kane
3. Marial Shayok
4. Chris Babb
5. Will Clyburn
I might swap 1 and 2 around. I haven't listened to the podcast yet so maybe they talk about some qualifiers on how to rank them. Royce was on the team that got us into the tournament and started our current era of winning basketball. I think DeAndre Kane absolutely is number 1. Won Big 12 Tournament championship, Sweet 16, beating Michigan at home.

Reactions: chadly82

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I might swap 1 and 2 around. I haven't listened to the podcast yet so maybe they talk about some qualifiers on how to rank them. Royce was on the team that got us into the tournament and started our current era of winning basketball. I think DeAndre Kane absolutely is number 1. Won Big 12 Tournament championship, Sweet 16, beating Michigan at home.
To be fair, Kane also had Ejim, Niang, Morris, Naz, Hogue and Thomas. That team was stacked.

Royce was a freak of nature physically that led Iowa State in all major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists).

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
About a third of the way in and enjoying it, so thanks. Likely a minority position here, but I think you have to include Shayok as one of the two best players on the team. Quiet, but super productive.
Appreciate you listening. Should have used the word "talented" instead of best. I absolutely think Shayok was best player this year. Poor phrasing on my end.

Reactions: Redman97

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011

No way.
Royce led the team in like every category.
Kane was great, but had far better talent around him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Interesting news from late in the podcast --

CW anticipated no further departures. So some of the speculation about some of the guys at the end of the bench last season... Lewis, Griffin... might be unfounded.

Still have that one open slot, could have more depending on how the NBA discussion and decision goes for Wigginton and Horton-Tucker, which will be interesting.

To be fair, Kane also had Ejim, Niang, Morris, Naz, Hogue and Thomas. That team was stacked.

Royce was a freak of nature physically that led Iowa State in all major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists).

That was quite the stacked roster, though some of them (especially the guards) were the underclassmen versions that would do a lot of growing up over time. We might look back at this roster, where Shayok and Nick might have a chance to play basketball for a paycheck (if not in the NBA, maybe overseas) and TH, THT, and Wigginton might have NBA or at least overseas future, in a similar light at some point in the future. These young guys, some of which might be with us next season, still have a lot of time to develop (especially TH and THT).

Royce White was great, do not get me wrong, but I do think we tend to remember the highlights more than the lowlights sometimes. He did all those things, yes, but he also turned the ball over a lot and played some comically bad defense.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Interesting news from late in the podcast --

CW anticipated no further departures. So some of the speculation about some of the guys at the end of the bench last season... Lewis, Griffin... might be unfounded.

Still have that one open slot, could have more depending on how the NBA discussion and decision goes for Wigginton and Horton-Tucker, which will be interesting.

That was quite the stacked roster, though some of them (especially the guards) were the underclassmen versions that would do a lot of growing up over time. We might look back at this roster, where Shayok and Nick might have a chance to play basketball for a paycheck (if not in the NBA, maybe overseas) and TH, THT, and Wigginton might have NBA or at least overseas future, in a similar light at some point in the future. These young guys, some of which might be with us next season, still have a lot of time to develop (especially TH and THT).

Royce White was great, do not get me wrong, but I do think we tend to remember the highlights more than the lowlights sometimes. He did all those things, yes, but he also turned the ball over a lot and played some comically bad defense.

Griffon has been pretty adamant that he is not going anywhere. I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that he would transfer.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Griffon has been pretty adamant that he is not going anywhere. I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that he would transfer.
I have hopes for Griffin. Willing passer, doesnt force much, positive attitude. His shot is flat and hope he works on it. I am not expecting to see a Nick Weiler Babb sophomore to junior improvement but would be great.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The guys underestimate Kane. Sure his team was stacked with team leaders, but he stepped up into a very special role. I remember seeing him for the first time at the Fan Fest. The guy looked like he was 30 years old. And in his first game at Hilton, Kane was the guy who pulled everyone together at the foul line and gave them a pep talk. Kane added something that made everyone better, including Niang.

P.S. The in-bounds pass off Woodbury's butt, followed by a basket and one! That alone should put Kane in contention for #1 transfer. Who else has ever done something so wonderful?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How many podcasts do we have to have ranking transfers and telling us how great it is that hoiberg is going to Nebraska?