Officials tonight in Tulsa

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Of the four assigned officials in Tulsa tonight, none are Roger Ayers.

Ayers called the phantom out-of-bounds on Mariel and the "kicked ball" on TH.

Either he was kicked to the curb or he went straight to the next round after his first round assignment.

628x471.jpg

Reactions: herbicide

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Last I checked refs are human and thus not perfect. Refs did not cost us the game so get over it.....

"Last I checked, the coaches and players are human and thus not perfect. Players and Coaches did not cost us the game so get over it."

This is just as stupid of a comment as suggesting that blown calls can not cost a team in a tight game the game. I will never understand why there are so many official apologists. Yes, they are human AND they make mistakes. Some of those mistakes affect the game being played in a big way.

Two completely blown calls caused us to lose a possession and allowed them to score 4 points with no interruption of our possession when we might have scored on the first one and definitely would have scored with Hali breaking away on the second one. That's definitely a 6 point swing or maybe an 8 point swing at a critical time during the game.

Anyone that doesn't understand that just a few calls at the perfect time during the game can totally change a game does not understand basketball or is in total denial.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Last I checked refs are human and thus not perfect. Refs did not cost us the game so get over it.....

They may not have ultimately cost us the game, but they certainly played a gigantic factor. And it wasn't just the "kicked ball" or the phantom out-of-bounds. There were several phantom foul calls on Lard that kept him on the bench in the first half. If Lard plays the first half, perhaps what's his name is neutralized better and we have a completely different outcome. But we'll never know, because the refs were that bad.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Ayers was involved in that points controversy earlier this year with that Iowa State/ OU game and same week with Villanova and Creighton!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
"Last I checked, the coaches and players are human and thus not perfect. Players and Coaches did not cost us the game so get over it."

This is just as stupid of a comment as suggesting that blown calls can not cost a team in a tight game the game. I will never understand why there are so many official apologists. Yes, they are human AND they make mistakes. Some of those mistakes affect the game being played in a big way.

Two completely blown calls caused us to lose a possession and allowed them to score 4 points with no interruption of our possession when we might have scored on the first one and definitely would have scored with Hali breaking away on the second one. That's definitely a 6 point swing or maybe an 8 point swing at a critical time during the game.

Anyone that doesn't understand that just a few calls at the perfect time during the game can totally change a game does not understand basketball or is in total denial.

You're not wrong in how that happened--they were bogus calls.

I'll still stand by the fact that ISU didn't play or shoot well and that's why they lost. Game planning was also a factor--gotta bother Wesson more from multiple angles and make someone else beat you.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You're not wrong in how that happened--they were bogus calls.

I'll still stand by the fact that ISU didn't play or shoot well and that's why they lost. Game planning was also a factor--gotta bother Wesson more from multiple angles and make someone else beat you.
So much this. I don't think anyone with a brain is saying the officials didn't have an impact on a close game. 2-3 absolutely awful blown calls/decisions. However, we aren't in that position if we don't go a quarter of the game without a made field goal. That stretch in the first half negates almost anything the refs did. We should have beat Ohio State by double digits, but we were too busy bricking shots, not making team basketball decisions, giving up critical offensive rebounds and had a stretch of three straight bone-headed turnovers Ohio State scored on. In the end we lose by three despite all of the above. We are the better team, but we decided we didn't want to take it. We scored 59 points for crying out loud. And you want to put it squarely on the officials? Please.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I wonder if the apologists would feel the same way if the game was the championship game against a number 1 seed with the Cyclones playing their best game of the year. The mistakes were so one-sided and egregious, it was laughable.

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

OH ya, let's concentrate on the few calls at the end of the game and blame the officials instead of blaming the players playing "me-ball" the other 35 minutes of the game that dug themselves in a hole. You should never play yourself in a situation where a bad call or two costs you the game. L....O....Fricking.....L

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

When did that first call happen? 1st half? Plenty of time to "scramble" to get that back. Same with the other.

Bad calls happen. Everyone of us have made bad calls in our own lives while sitting at a desk or in front of a TV where we get all the benefit of time with no pressure.

Those calls didn't impact the game as much as they let Wesson do whatever the frick he wanted.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I wonder if the apologists would feel the same way if the game was the championship game against a number 1 seed with the Cyclones playing their best game of the year. The mistakes were so one-sided and egregious, it was laughable.

In the finals? That would be a SWEET place to get jobbed because we'd be in the FINALS!

1 player other than Shayok having an average night we win by 5.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Both sides are right. There were 3 or 4 calls that went against us in that game that were absolutely egregious. However the #1 reason we lost that game was the gameplan and inability to adjust, especially defensively. When the opponent has 1 good player you just can't let that player beat you. And we did for 40 mins without adjusting. The refs sucked and our players had off nights but our coaching for this game in particular absolutely sucked.