Prohm to Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
They have won one game in March Madness in the last 12 years. They have one SEC regular season or tournament title in the last 28 years (and it was 17 years ago).

No high schooler right now thinks of Alabama as relevant in hoops, and that is what matters. It would be a tremendous step down from Iowa State, who has four Big 12 championships and six NCAA Tournament appearances with a pair of Sweet 16s in the last seven seasons. That's the basketball that the current 16-year-olds you're trying to recruit will have grown up on.

Huh. I wonder why collin Sexton and Kira Lewis chose them, then?

It’s crazy how sheltered some fans are. It’s sad how giddy others are about the possibility of him leaving.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Teague

Mar 21, 2019
For those saying that Alabama is a step down in Basketball, listen to these stats:

Alabama has only had 4 losing seasons (1987-8, 1997-8, 1999-2000 and 2013-14) since the 1971-2 season..
They have won the SEC Regular Season 10 times.
They have won the SEC Tournament 7 times.
They have been to the NCAA Tournament 21 times (21-21).
They have been to the Sweet 16 seven times (3 in a row under Wimp)
They have been to the Elite 8 one time,
They have finished ranked in the Final AP Poll 15 times.
They have a .615 all-time winning percentage.
They have two Hall of Fame Coaches (CM Newton and Wimp Sanderson)
They have a 15,383 seat arena (larger than Hilton).
They have won 18 or more games the past 5 years and are firing their coach. They WANT to win BIG.

While Iowa State is a bit better now (especially this year), Alabama has been a consistently good program since CM Newton turned them around in the early 1970s. It will not take much to kick them up a notch. Hope it's not Prohm.

Let's Go State! Beat the Buckeyes!

Bama fan here, and I come in peace. I stopped by just to read up on how you guys feel about Prohm, since the rumor is out there. I found and read through this thread. Firstly, we appreciate all the kind words about Alabama and its fans. Secondly, it seems that most of you like Prohm enough that you'd rather not lose him.

Also, just FYI, the knowledgeable Bama basketball fans know it's not a given we can steal Prohm, if he even is the target. However, as the post I quoted mentions, Alabama has a richer basketball tradition than most realize. Despite floundering in mediocrity for years, I believe we're still second only to Kentucky in all time SEC wins. Arky and Mizzou probably have more all time wins, but they arrived late to the SEC. Alabama has a winning record against all but three (I think) SEC teams. Alabama also is almost always among the top 25 in national attendance. We have a fan base that is dying to return to playing good basketball.

I'm obviously not claiming Bama is a basketball blue blood. And, at best, would be a lateral move at this time. But, we're also not the basketball dumpster fire a lot of people seem to think. And we have the potential to explode, like that Florida program some of you have pointed to as being so superior to Bama. By the way, Bama leads that series something like 74-67.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'm obviously not claiming Bama is a basketball blue blood. And, at best, would be a lateral move at this time.

giphy.gif

Reactions: DurangoCy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
They have won one game in March Madness in the last 12 years. They have one SEC regular season or tournament title in the last 28 years (and it was 17 years ago).

No high schooler right now thinks of Alabama as relevant in hoops, and that is what matters. It would be a tremendous step down from Iowa State, who has four Big 12 championships and six NCAA Tournament appearances with a pair of Sweet 16s in the last seven seasons. That's the basketball that the current 16-year-olds you're trying to recruit will have grown up on.
I Definitely agree with you about the recency stuff. Iowa State is better now. Still not a step down though, as Alabama hasn't completely fallen off the edge of the basketball world, can recruit good players, has an easy time scheduling good home and homes OOC and can win big pretty fast with the right coach.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Bama fan here, and I come in peace. I stopped by just to read up on how you guys feel about Prohm, since the rumor is out there. I found and read through this thread. Firstly, we appreciate all the kind words about Alabama and its fans. Secondly, it seems that most of you like Prohm enough that you'd rather not lose him.

Also, just FYI, the knowledgeable Bama basketball fans know it's not a given we can steal Prohm, if he even is the target. However, as the post I quoted mentions, Alabama has a richer basketball tradition than most realize. Despite floundering in mediocrity for years, I believe we're still second only to Kentucky in all time SEC wins. Arky and Mizzou probably have more all time wins, but they arrived late to the SEC. Alabama has a winning record against all but three (I think) SEC teams. Alabama also is almost always among the top 25 in national attendance. We have a fan base that is dying to return to playing good basketball.

I'm obviously not claiming Bama is a basketball blue blood. And, at best, would be a lateral move at this time. But, we're also not the basketball dumpster fire a lot of people seem to think. And we have the potential to explode, like that Florida program some of you have pointed to as being so superior to Bama. By the way, Bama leads that series something like 74-67.
Thanks for stopping by. There are a number of reasons most of us are annoyed with this, and it really doesn't have to do with Alabama basketball. For one, the timing sucks as we have a big game tonight. It also just gets annoying that any time one of our coaches is doing well, their names are brought up for other jobs (see Matt Campbell).

Prohm is a good coach and good person; based off what people around him know, he does seem happy here. I guess we'll find out if he wants to stay or head down south.

Teague

Mar 21, 2019
Thanks for stopping by. There are a number of reasons most of us are annoyed with this, and it really doesn't have to do with Alabama basketball. For one, the timing sucks as we have a big game tonight. It also just gets annoying that any time one of our coaches is doing well, their names are brought up for other jobs (see Matt Campbell).

Prohm is a good coach and good person; based off what people around him know, he does seem happy here. I guess we'll find out if he wants to stay or head down south.

Yeah, honestly, I want Steve Forbes from ETSU, but Prohm's name keeps popping up. I don't know much about him or if his ties to UA would be enough to sway him if they go after him. Prohm's season last year and poor finsh this year makes me a little leery. I think I read you guys lost a ton of players going into last year. Is there any explanation for struggling down the stretch this year? We've seen plenty of that with Avery.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, honestly, I want Steve Forbes from ETSU, but Prohm's name keeps popping up. I don't know much about him or if his ties to UA would be enough to sway him if they go after him. Prohm's season last year and poor finsh this year makes me a little leery. I think I read you guys lost a ton of players going into last year. Is there any explanation for struggling down the stretch this year? We've seen plenty of that with Avery.

Much like we posters here, the players were fighting amongst themselves.
It culminated in a couple fights one day in practice, one of which injured Shayok. Then a near-fight between a couple guys during the next game (out on the court), and suddenly things got gooder.

I should caution you, though. You seem like a good dude, and you've got these nice, well-balanced posts, but we're busy fighting amongst ourselves right now. We might not quite be ready for what you've got. Not a knock on you. It's not you, it's us.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Last year it was expected we would struggle. We were losing a ton, and didn't do enough to fill their absence recruiting-wise (some of that on Prohm and current staff, some on Hoiberg giving up on recruiting at the end of his tenure). Injuries to key players just made it worse and it all fell apart.

This year was more of a mystery. Talent was not lacking, however chemistry did seem to lack at times. Young players seeing their names pop-up on mock drafts might have gotten into their heads a bit, and we started playing less like a team and more like a bunch of individuals.

Things seem to be worked out now (knocks on wood), so Prohm does get a lot of credit for that.

Teague

Mar 21, 2019
Thanks for the replies, guys. Prohm certainly seems like a good hire and would be a huge upgrade over the dysfunctional "basketball" we've been watching lately. I don't know if there's any basis to the rumors, and I'm not here to start ****. But, I'm a 20 year veteran of some pretty crazy forums, so the replies here won't shock me.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll probably be checking in as long as the rumors are alive.

• Funny
Reactions: Cy$ and CloneGuy8

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Thanks for the replies, guys. Prohm certainly seems like a good hire and would be a huge upgrade over the dysfunctional "basketball" we've been watching lately. I don't know if there's any basis to the rumors, and I'm not here to start ****. But, I'm a 20 year veteran of some pretty crazy forums, so the replies here won't shock me.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll probably be checking in as long as the rumors are alive.

Don't mention dysfunction to us, man.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Tony Yelk’s kick was good.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Iowa State puts in two forward they win that game. Ohio State had one guy down low and prohm did nothing to neutralize him. Half the time Babb and Haliburton were in the pain fighting for boards.

• Dumb
Reactions: discydisc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron