Prohm to Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's a thought: instead of giving Randy what he wants and wasting our time on this, let's celebrate the tourney and enjoy our game tonight.

You're hinting to me that breaking his other leg is not an option?

images

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You are delusional if you think the next coach isn't TJ.

That's fine, then I'm delusional. Just a gut feeling, I said. All fans don't have to all agree with you on this.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Otz is a great recruiter...but Prohm ain’t bad either...I just don’t know if Otz has had enough HC experience to warrant taking over essentially what has been a top 25 ish program the past 7-8 years..

• Agree
Reactions: HardcoreClone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah I saw the Wikipedia Otz HC @ ISU too. Makes me want to reconsider my go to source for info.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Otz is a great recruiter...but Prohm ain’t bad either...I just don’t know if Otz has had enough HC experience to warrant taking over essentially what has been a top 25 ish program the past 7-8 years..
Hiring Otz after 3 years in the Summit Conference isn’t too different than Prohm and 4 years in the OVC. But to your point, the Prohm hire had the same criticism. It was June, though. Otz does have the advantage of spending many years as a pertinent assistant at ISU, but there’s clearly been value in Prohm making a career out of identifying recruits.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You think LE, Wayne, and even McDermott left completely on their own terms?

I know you have a pathological need to feel abandoned, but in nearly 40 years we’ve only had two coaches leave. Both for the NBA. That’s not bad.

Your math is off. How many coaches left ISU for other jobs? You say it's just 2? If so there are a LOT of ISU basketball coaches that we rarely see on the bench.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Hiring Otz after 3 years in the Summit Conference isn’t too different than Prohm and 4 years in the OVC. But to your point, the Prohm hire had the same criticism. It was June, though. Otz does have the advantage of spending many years as a pertinent assistant at ISU, but there’s clearly been value in Prohm making a career out of identifying recruits.

I was going to criticize Otz's lack of HC experience but you make a decent comparison to Prohms hiring. Prohm has been able to recruit some talented guards over the years. I know TJ has a decent class coming into SDSU this year but i wouldn't say he's been killing it recruiting there. Mainly walked into having Mike Daum, and didn't make the tourney this year....

If we were more desperate for a coach, Otz would be a fine choice. But I feel it would be shortsighted with where this program is at to not explore more proven guys. Even Nate Oats?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I was going to criticize Otz's lack of HC experience but you make a decent comparison to Prohms hiring. Prohm has been able to recruit some talented guards over the years. I know TJ has a decent class coming into SDSU this year but i wouldn't say he's been killing it recruiting there. Mainly walked into having Mike Daum, and didn't make the tourney this year....

If we were more desperate for a coach, Otz would be a fine choice. But I feel it would be shortsighted with where this program is at to not explore more proven guys. Even Nate Oats?
Agree, we’d be fine with Otz as a contingency, but we should try to get better. Otz would need a large budget for an great staff.
Prohm also walked into a very good situation at Murray, which has been a top program in their conference for a long time. He “inherited” Canaan (he did recruit him) and then added Payne. Prohm only made the tournament once, his first year. I’m not worried about Otz recruiting.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Agree, we’d be fine with Otz as a contingency, but we should try to get better. Otz would need a large budget for an great staff.
Prohm also walked into a very good situation at Murray, which has been a top program in their conference for a long time. He “inherited” Canaan (he did recruit him) and then added Payne. Prohm only made the tournament once, his first year. I’m not worried about Otz recruiting.

I think I would take my chances with a "large budget and great staff" in any sport. I don't even like basketball and I could roll out a moderately successful team with $$ and great coaches

Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think I would take my chances with a "large budget and great staff" in any sport. I don't even like basketball and I could roll out a moderately successful team with $$ and great coaches
Large budget for a staff, not necessarily large budget overall. Could you go 13-18 for $200k and spending $3 million on proven assistants?

Joking aside, it’s a model not often enough utilized imo. Outside of the slam dunk, hottest candidates, how much risk do you remove by spending $1-$2 million more on the HC? A lot of success of up-and-coming candidates is a product of circumstance. High paid assistants is particularly impactful for basketball in which an assistant that can bring in a great player can significantly change the program. That’s what I thought the Hoiberg hire was until I saw the initial salary. Cheap, but popular HC, with proven, expensive recruiters and/or experienced tacticians.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Large budget for a staff, not necessarily large budget overall. Could you go 13-18 for $200k and spending $3 million on proven assistants?

Joking aside, it’s a model not often enough utilized imo. Outside of the slam dunk, hottest candidates, how much risk do you remove by spending $1-$2 million more on the HC? A lot of success of up-and-coming candidates is a product of circumstance. High paid assistants is particularly impactful for basketball in which an assistant that can bring in a great player can significantly change the program. That’s what I thought the Hoiberg hire was until I saw the initial salary. Cheap, but popular HC, with proven, expensive recruiters and/or experienced tacticians.

Set the bar at 13 wins and pay me $175k. $2mill per assistant.

I'm moderately handsome and good with the microphone (in wrestling terms think a modern day Arn Anderson or Ric Flair).

I'll take the press (sit down, Randy) and let the actual basketball minds work. I'll get ya 13 wins.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
For those saying that Alabama is a step down in Basketball, listen to these stats:

Alabama has only had 4 losing seasons (1987-8, 1997-8, 1999-2000 and 2013-14) since the 1971-2 season..
They have won the SEC Regular Season 10 times.
They have won the SEC Tournament 7 times.
They have been to the NCAA Tournament 21 times (21-21).
They have been to the Sweet 16 seven times (3 in a row under Wimp)
They have been to the Elite 8 one time,
They have finished ranked in the Final AP Poll 15 times.
They have a .615 all-time winning percentage.
They have two Hall of Fame Coaches (CM Newton and Wimp Sanderson)
They have a 15,383 seat arena (larger than Hilton).
They have won 18 or more games the past 5 years and are firing their coach. They WANT to win BIG.

While Iowa State is a bit better now (especially this year), Alabama has been a consistently good program since CM Newton turned them around in the early 1970s. It will not take much to kick them up a notch. Hope it's not Prohm.

Let's Go State! Beat the Buckeyes!

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
For those saying that Alabama is a step down in Basketball, listen to these stats:

They have won one game in March Madness in the last 12 years. They have one SEC regular season or tournament title in the last 28 years (and it was 17 years ago).

No high schooler right now thinks of Alabama as relevant in hoops, and that is what matters. It would be a tremendous step down from Iowa State, who has four Big 12 championships and six NCAA Tournament appearances with a pair of Sweet 16s in the last seven seasons. That's the basketball that the current 16-year-olds you're trying to recruit will have grown up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron