Should he have to wait in line?

• Yes

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 91 65.9%

• Total voters

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So I was at Subway with a friend today over lunch. The was probably a good 6-7 people waiting to order with 3-4 people being in the process of ordering. An older gentleman arrives and bypasses the line and goes directly to the cashier and orders a gift card.

I think he should have to wait in line. There's several people trying to get through and order a gift card takes time and delays the line. My friend says the point of the line is to order a sandwich, and since he didn't order a sandwich he shouldn't have to wait in line.

So I leave it to the good people of Cyclone Fanatic to solve this debate.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I thought this thread was going to provide a great way for me to tell the story about the old Asian guy who urinated just a few feet away from me in the corner of the El one morning on my way to work when I lived in Chicago. Different subway etiquette.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
That's a tough one. Since there are 2 different lines at subway, one for sandwiches and the other leads to the cashier, I think he has an argument to skip to the cashier line to buy the gift card.

That being said, there are issues that I've seen that old people in other situations seem to think they can go to the front of the line.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Depending on the store most of the time it seems like the cashier is waiting on the sandwich to be made before ringing up the sale so if there is a gap between customer orders they can ring up his gift card purchase I'd have no problem with it. Kind of dumb to have him stand in line and tell them he wasn't getting a sandwich when it was his turn, they'd probably just have him go to the front of the line at the point too I'd bet.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
That's a tough one. Since there are 2 different lines at subway, one for sandwiches and the other leads to the cashier, I think he has an argument to skip to the cashier line to buy the gift card.

That being said, there are issues that I've seen that old people in other situations seem to think they can go to the front of the line.

I agree, I think it is a tough one, but I think he should be able to just buy the card, unless it was truly back to back as Rabbuk mentioned above.

• Agree
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
See this two separate line thing is new to me. I've never seen it as two separate lines, but rather one line that starts at the bread order and ends at the cashier.

You can pass people in the sandwhich line though, if my sandwhich is done i'm not waiting on the guy getting 20 different toppings and toasting his.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I voted for both -- because I could. And he should be able to sneak into the cashier line if people are waiting for their sandwich to get finished.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Putting myself in the old man's shoes...

If I wasn't in a hurry, I'd just wait because I don't like to disrupt people. If I'm in a hurry I'd probably ask the people in front of me if they minded if I cut in line because I just needed to get a gift card quick and wouldn't be taking extra time to get a sandwich made.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I tend to lean towards being less dickish, so I'm saying wait in the full line. It's not that big of a deal to wait 5 minutes. People will probably let you go ahead or the employee will let you skip when you get to the bread person and tell them that you're just waiting to buy a gift card.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
How tall was this gentleman? Was he in fighting shape?

I believe this is a photo of him outside the store:
e8ba6c82b3b308942b740765de1d9648.png

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Listen, the ***** already had her gloves off and was ready to handle cash and that sweet dirty cash register. I saved you all the time of her shuffling back to put the gloves on and off and on again to make 6 more sandwiches.

Gift card for me, double birds for all of you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron