***Official WV postgame thread***

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Right now, looking at a 6 seed in the tournament but if they lose the next two I could easily see them dropping to a 7 line.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nick should be the leader. He’s been here the longest. He’s the lead guard.

Problem is he’s not forceful in your face when needed.

Maryal also should be. But it’s a new role for him as well. He never had to be that guy at UVA.

Lindell plays with the biggest ego/chip on his shoulder. He could very easily have assumed the role, he did at oak hill. He just hasn’t assumed it for whatever reason.
No, in college bb, the "leader" is the coach. MSU: the "leader" is Izzo. Villanova: the "leader" is Wright. Duke: the "leader" is Coach K.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Right now, looking at a 6 seed in the tournament but if they lose the next two I could easily see them dropping to a 7 line.

I see them losing the next 2 and dropping to an 8 seed. Then losing the 8/9 matchup as well at this point.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Everybody wants to win that is the bottom line. I disagree with your statement that Prohm has brought in more talent than prior regimes. Perhaps more highly rated high school talent but that has yet to show the same dividends on the floor. I know Prohm is doing things the right way as far as sanctions and scandal but his job is more than that. It is to maintain (at a minimum) what was built. Losing Neil was alarming as he was one of the better minds on that staff. When he left and where he went to (coach on the hot seat) seem to send up a red flag.

Perhaps this gets turned around in the next two weeks or maybe the slide continues. We are going to have a 50% roster turnover this summer which will lead to the exact same class imbalance that people blasted CFH for. We were a better program in 2015 then to just be satisfied with doing things the right way four years later. Everyone’s fear is to go back to 2006-2010 and I’m sorry but I just don’t have the same confidence in CSP as I did with CFH.

My goodness. The last 5 games specifically we have been 10x more competitive than we were from 2006-2010. Please don't ever compare this era to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and Doc

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Depending on how the rest of season plays out, SP's coaching seat should be warming up. If we are going to be a .500 team with a roster that was widely considered to be the most talented in the Big 12 and with a down KU than what can we expect in future years?

If you make the tourney at ISU your seat won't be warm that offseason. It just won't

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No, in college bb, the "leader" is the coach. MSU: the "leader" is Izzo. Villanova: the "leader" is Wright. Duke: the "leader" is Coach K.

Jesus. At least you’re consistent.

All coaches are the leaders of their programs or organizations. There is a hierarchy though. And it’s necessary for success. Coaches are around the players during practice and games. The other 20 hours a day they’re on their own, Someone has to lead away from the court too.

Now go back to criticizing jp for firing your dad 14 years ago.

• Dislike
Reactions: quasistellar

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
My goodness. The last 5 games specifically we have been 10x more competitive than we were from 2006-2010. Please don't ever compare this era to that.

His mission here is to make sure Fred is never held accountable for anything that happened that wasn’t 100% positive.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Depending on how the rest of season plays out, SP's coaching seat should be warming up. If we are going to be a .500 team with a roster that was widely considered to be the most talented in the Big 12 and with a down KU than what can we expect in future years?

Lol 4 anti prohm posts in 4 years. Yeah this is legit.

Whose alt is this?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Everybody wants to win that is the bottom line. I disagree with your statement that Prohm has brought in more talent than prior regimes. Perhaps more highly rated high school talent but that has yet to show the same dividends on the floor. I know Prohm is doing things the right way as far as sanctions and scandal but his job is more than that. It is to maintain (at a minimum) what was built. Losing Neil was alarming as he was one of the better minds on that staff. When he left and where he went to (coach on the hot seat) seem to send up a red flag.

Perhaps this gets turned around in the next two weeks or maybe the slide continues. We are going to have a 50% roster turnover this summer which will lead to the exact same class imbalance that people blasted CFH for. We were a better program in 2015 then to just be satisfied with doing things the right way four years later. Everyone’s fear is to go back to 2006-2010 and I’m sorry but I just don’t have the same confidence in CSP as I did with CFH.

I was an undergraduate during the McD era. He took the best years of my life. Depending on how the offseason goes, the trend in the program could tilt that direction.

The worst thing about McD was he was constantly losing his best players and projected contributors for the next season one way or another. Guys would transfer, guys would "go pro" who clearly were not ready for it, and guys would just up and quit the team or even basketball entirely. They never had any continuity in the roster or the program culture, and while they notionally had talent (and did have some good players), they could never string it together to create a successful and resilient program in a strong conference and win consistently.

Losing seniors is fine. Losing guys at the back of the bench who had no chance to play is fine, assuming you are replacing them with upgrades. I know the roster had a stupid amount of turnover during Fred's tenure, but many of his transfers spent at least two years in Ames, and he still had some all-timer culture guys around (e.g., Melvin, Georges, Naz, Monté, Matt, etc.) who led the team and created expectations for the new guys and held it all together.

We already lose two starters to graduation. If a few of the other talented guys on the roster, and Wigginton, Horton-Tucker, and Lard are absolutely talented, leave or "go pro" just to get out of here even clearly prematurely departing, then that says all I really need to know. I accepted last year as a rebuild given the yawning gulf in recruiting the end of the Hoiberg era meant. If we need to rebuild again after this year, then I am not sure this is working.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Attended this game. First game in over 10 years.
Comments:
- I told my friends Huggies late ‘T’ in Ames was to set the refs up in this one. And boy oh boy. The refs were horrific. Phantom calls against us and no calls for Thuggins the other way. One thing clearly irked me: countless flagarent 3 second violations that weren’t called. Being near the free throw line it pulled us out too far opening them for rebounding lanes
- too many offensive rebounds allowed ... not good
- allowing first half looks at 3s were inexcusable
- we need players to take that open look. Countless were passed up
- lethargic in first half except Wiggins
- TH needs to be a scoring threat. Guarding 4 threats is now a strategy. Much easier.
- never seen prohm so pissed. Rightfully so. Two over and backs in the same sequence not called.
- Never saw a team with heads bowed so low at the end. Advice: penetrate and pull up 2s. Get those lane violations called. After a rotate look for player to block out.
ALWAYS WILL SUPPORT. Give it your best and have no regrets. Swagger back!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was an undergraduate during the McD era. He took the best years of my life. Depending on how the offseason goes, the trend in the program could tilt that direction.

The worst thing about McD was he was constantly losing his best players and projected contributors for the next season one way or another. Guys would transfer, guys would "go pro" who clearly were not ready for it, and guys would just up and quit the team or even basketball entirely. They never had any continuity in the roster or the program culture, and while they notionally had talent (and did have some good players), they could never string it together to create a successful and resilient program in a strong conference and win consistently.

Losing seniors is fine. Losing guys at the back of the bench who had no chance to play is fine, assuming you are replacing them with upgrades. I know the roster had a stupid amount of turnover during Fred's tenure, but many of his transfers spent at least two years in Ames, and he still had some all-timer culture guys around (e.g., Melvin, Georges, Naz, Monté, Matt, etc.) who led the team and created expectations for the new guys and held it all together.

We already lose two starters to graduation. If a few of the other talented guys on the roster, and Wigginton, Horton-Tucker, and Lard are absolutely talented, leave or "go pro" just to get out of here even clearly prematurely departing, then that says all I really need to know. I accepted last year as a rebuild given the yawning gulf in recruiting the end of the Hoiberg era meant. If we need to rebuild again after this year, then I am not sure this is working.

Issue with having one and done types around is the foundation around them has to be solid enough, and that hasn't happened for ISU.

I'm uninfomed about their overall rosters and where most of their players are from, but it seems Tech and KSU have lots of players that have at least been there for a while and the result is real chemistry and consistency.

Might just be lightning in a bottle for those two coaches but it seems like a better approach than something that feels top heavy and easy to fall apart, and ISU is closer to them for situations then say, KU.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You know the old Biggie song Mo Money Mo Problems. Starting to think that Mo Depth Mo Drama is also true.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Attended this game. First game in over 10 years.
Comments:
- I told my friends Huggies late ‘T’ in Ames was to set the refs up in this one. And boy oh boy. The refs were horrific. Phantom calls against us and no calls for Thuggins the other way. One thing clearly irked me: countless flagarent 3 second violations that weren’t called. Being near the free throw line it pulled us out too far opening them for rebounding lanes
- too many offensive rebounds allowed ... not good
- allowing first half looks at 3s were inexcusable
- we need players to take that open look. Countless were passed up
- lethargic in first half except Wiggins
- TH needs to be a scoring threat. Guarding 4 threats is now a strategy. Much easier.
- never seen prohm so pissed. Rightfully so. Two over and backs in the same sequence not called.
- Never saw a team with heads bowed so low at the end. Advice: penetrate and pull up 2s. Get those lane violations called. After a rotate look for player to block out.
ALWAYS WILL SUPPORT. Give it your best and have no regrets. Swagger back!!

What does this even mean? Huggins gets a T to set up the refs for a game...five weeks later? When the officials of both games were completely different? This is nonsensical.

Help Support Us

Become a patron