Should Lard play against OSU?

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
If he's ready, play him. If not don't risk it. Need to get him going as soon as we can. KU is on Monday and it'd sure be nice to have less rust on him.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I hope he can go for a little bit tomorrow but if he's not at 100%, then no reason to risk him. The quote from Prohm that said he planned to play him in Lubbock, I think it's pretty likely we'll see him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Lard is healthy he should play, but his minutes should be after Conditt.

If ISU is able to develop some breathing room- I would like to see us play some 2 forward lineup, press and zone. They might be needed to win games over the balance of the season.

I think everyone agrees if Lard is healthy he should play a normal role.

Question though, why should Lard play behind Conditt? They both provide rim running and post presence on defense. Lard is stronger at this point to hold up against post players. Conditt had very good 2 games and his future is bright but we've seen Lard do that over a season. I don't think an injury should cost him his role and Prohm is on record how important his loss was.

to add to your second point Prohm many times has voiced his preference for 4 wing 1 post lineups that
the best use of ISU current roster. We need to accept that we won't be seeing a 2 post line ups very often and probably wont need to. Big 12 as a whole plays small this year especially now that KU lost Dok. I would rather have the the 4 guards practice new offense set and in bounds plays, if garbage time allows, than trying experimental lineups that won't get much if any runs.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I might be in the minority here but if he's 90% I say get him a few minutes vs OKst vs trying to work him in @KU.

Obviously don't want to hurt him, but athletes play injured all the time.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Question though, why should Lard play behind Conditt? They both provide rim running and post presence on defense. Lard is stronger at this point to hold up against post players. Conditt had very good 2 games and his future is bright but we've seen Lard do that over a season. I don't think an injury should cost him his role and Prohm is on record how important his loss was.

to add to your second point Prohm many times has voiced his preference for 4 wing 1 post lineups that
the best use of ISU current roster. We need to accept that we won't be seeing a 2 post line ups very often and probably wont need to. Big 12 as a whole plays small this year especially now that KU lost Dok. I would rather have the the 4 guards practice new offense set and in bounds plays, if garbage time allows, than trying experimental lineups that won't get much if any runs.

Lard tends to play better against better talent than he does when it seems there is an opponent he should dominate.

Without Solo playing one post like you said we'll definitely need Conditt and Lard, especially if Lard can't keep his fouls under control.

I don't think Jacobsen is that one post in a one post lineup, he doesn't have the offensive firepower to make it work the way Georges did. If having Georges as our only big was a defensive liability it usually still worked out because no other 4 or 5 in the league could defend him.

• Winner
Reactions: Dingus

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I think I'd rather use that time to get Lewis, Griffin and Talley some minutes (assuming that the game is out of hand and we have time to burn). That will benefit the first two for next year (and hopefully keep them happy and engaged). We can practice new sets and inbounds plays at any time really (except if it's tight late).

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Could be a crappy crowd considering the weather. OSU will be used to that.
Why? Snow is supposed to stop in the morning. If people can’t make it I would hope they can send their tickets to someone electronically. I see no excuse for a weak crowd

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why? Snow is supposed to stop in the morning. If people can’t make it I would hope they can send their tickets to someone electronically. I see no excuse for a weak crowd
I posted this yesterday morning. I'm not a weatherman. Weather 100% affects attendance.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Now that Solo is done for the year I hope we're as cautious with Lard as possible. At some point we may need to use two bigs together so the faster we can get back to 3 quality bigs the better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If needed and he can go, play him.

Tomorrow will be a big test for this team. OSU will still be tricky and it's not like there's a lot of margin for error.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So depending on how things go on Saturday, if ISU manages to build a decent margin against OSU, do you let him rest another day to make sure he does not tweak the ankle further?

Or does he need some playing time since he has already missed a lot of games already

Lard needs to be engaged when ISU goes to Lawrence

Think he has gotta get some minutes..

If we are playing pretend coach hypotheticals can't we get more info? What do the pretend doctors say? How likely is he to injure it again? Has he been timid on it or has he been going pretty aggressive in practice? We need details man!

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Will he play or not due to his injury?

Better question might be will he play regardless of health due to Conditt playing really well lately?

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
With an ankle injury rehab he needs to get some minutes Saturday just to get over the emotional fear of coming down on his ankle again in game situations. Hopefully he didn’t come down a little wrong in warmups against TTU which scared him for the 2nd half. I would hate for his first minutes back to be against KU.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Lard tends to play better against better talent than he does when it seems there is an opponent he should dominate.

Without Solo playing one post like you said we'll definitely need Conditt and Lard, especially if Lard can't keep his fouls under control.

I don't think Jacobsen is that one post in a one post lineup, he doesn't have the offensive firepower to make it work the way Georges did. If having Georges as our only big was a defensive liability it usually still worked out because no other 4 or 5 in the league could defend him.

Jeff Withey agrees

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I think I'd rather use that time to get Lewis, Griffin and Talley some minutes (assuming that the game is out of hand and we have time to burn). That will benefit the first two for next year (and hopefully keep them happy and engaged). We can practice new sets and inbounds plays at any time really (except if it's tight late).

I agree re: giving Lewis/Talley PT, but I think it can help the team this season. There'll still be games when they may be needed for spot minutes due to foul trouble.