Haaland: The perfect storm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don't like it, but I can't argue with that. Once again, Haaland is right and has the data to back him up..

I do think we are seeing some fan frustration with the round robin conference schedule. Frustration might not be the right word. Annoyance maybe? Aggravation?

It is annoying to have to play these teams every year on the road. There's never a break.
I saw a tweet that ISU has lost something like 9 of 10 at Baylor.
So every year we go down there and lose a typically close game.

This is probably where my frustration with these road losses comes from. The Big 12 is a grind and I just want someone (but mostly us) to take the conference title away from kansas.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I love it when they win. I hate it when they lose. I will look for that article on CycloneRational...;-)
(Good article Mr. Haaland.)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The difference between the big 12 teams and Kansas is Kansas goes on the road and wins the games they should win. Against Baylor, Okie State and those type of teams. That is why they have won the big 12 so many times (And they pay players but that's a different story). KU loses to good teams on the road but normally beats the teams they should beat on the road.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The difference between the big 12 teams and Kansas is Kansas goes on the road and wins the games they should win. Against Baylor, Okie State and those type of teams. That is why they have won the big 12 so many times (And they pay players but that's a different story). KU loses to good teams on the road but normally beats the teams they should beat on the road.

Kansas lost in Stillwater and in Waco last season. But yes, that is how you win the conference. I think the main point of contention is if the expectation for Iowa State was to win the league this year. Possible? Sure. Expectation?

Regardless, it still isn't off the table, not by a long shot.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Road games are hard. Yeah BU got the Clones at Waco, again, but that does not define the rest of the season. Just have to get better as a team. ISU plays a lot of freshman, and there were definitely some freshman mistakes made in that game. I look for this team to improve more than other teams in the Big 12 as the season goes along and the players get more used to each other. At least there is depth and options this year, and they are good options.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
Losing to Baylor sucks but was the expectation to go undefeated in conference? ISU still has a great opportunity in front of them. It should be a fun year and could be a special year. CSP could and should win Big 12 coach of the year. Considering we were picked to be in the bottom part of the conference and probably finish top 4 ( I know I am getting ahead but that is where I think this team should be this year).

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyclones12321

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Kansas lost in Stillwater and in Waco last season. But yes, that is how you win the conference. I think the main point of contention is if the expectation for Iowa State was to win the league this year. Possible? Sure. Expectation?

Regardless, it still isn't off the table, not by a long shot.

I think I just need to curve my expectations with this team. After the KU game I was thinking Big 12 championship and a close resemblance of the year 2000. I don't see that happening now and I might have over estimated our ability.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Kansas usually has at least one pretty bad road loss to an 8-10 team (they lost @ TCU in 2013, TCU finished 2-16 ). They make up for it by getting 1-2 road wins against the top half of the conference and avoiding multiple bad road losses. We can afford the Baylor loss, but we can't slip up at home, or @WVU, @KSU and need to win at least 2 on the road against everyone else. The Big 12 winner will likely be 14-4 or 13-5 at worst.

Reactions: Knownothing

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just have to get better as a team. ISU plays a lot of freshman, and there were definitely some freshman mistakes made in that game. I look for this team to improve more than other teams in the Big 12 as the season goes along and the players get more used to each other. At least there is depth and options this year, and they are good options.
While I agree it should be expected that we improve more than nearly every other conference team due to the nature of the preseason, we’re only playing two freshmen. Given the quality of play and roles of those freshmen, it’s not an accurate narrative to attribute a significant portion of the loss to freshmen mistakes.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

In addition to your point, other elements for home/road: How many times since round-robin has KU been swept in a season? Couple that with the fact Kansas doesn't often lose at Phog. And sometimes, when it does happen, KU will win the return road trip for a series split.

All those things combined, it requires other contenders to maximize opportunities. You can't rely on "backing in" for a B12 title, or rely on help from the other 8 members for performance vs. Kansas.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing