Friday OT #2 - Bowling for Soup

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
By this time, everyone's likely decided if they're going to San Antonio or not. Let's say that you were in charge of the national championship game, and ISU was in it, and it could be in whatever city you want. What do you think would be the ideal tailgate and bowl destination city?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
By this time, everyone's likely decided if they're going to San Antonio or not. Let's say that you were in charge of the national championship game, and ISU was in it, and it could be in whatever city you want. What do you think would be the ideal tailgate and bowl destination city?

Seattle-area or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Don't know where you could play the game and tailgate, but ideal weather would be light rain the night before and then sunshine the next day. Weather in that area could get up to the high-40s/low-50s, which I think is perfect tailgating weather.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Des Moines. Make it essentially a home game for ISU. :)

I don't know about tailgating, but I'd guess you would want a city with a mild or warm climate that's relatively easy to navigate and has a nice venue to host the game. So I'd start with a list of cities like Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, Houston, Phoenix, and Vegas. I haven't been to all of these places, so I can't speak to their navigability. You can cross San Diego off the list until/unless they get a new stadium. I'd cross Miami off the list since it's an open air stadium so there's the risk of rain for the game. Personally, I think Vegas would be a blast. Easy to get to, plenty to do before the game, warm and sunny, and they have a brand new retractable roof stadium that will be finished in a couple years.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Minneapolis because it would be cheap and convenient for me.

Seriously, I might go with New Orleans. It's a blast to visit for a few days and I'll guarantee that city won't run out of booze.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Des Moines. Make it essentially a home game for ISU. :)

I don't know about tailgating, but I'd guess you would want a city with a mild or warm climate that's relatively easy to navigate and has a nice venue to host the game. So I'd start with a list of cities like Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, Houston, Phoenix, and Vegas. I haven't been to all of these places, so I can't speak to their navigability. You can cross San Diego off the list until/unless they get a new stadium. I'd cross Miami off the list since it's an open air stadium so there's the risk of rain for the game. Personally, I think Vegas would be a blast. Easy to get to, plenty to do before the game, warm and sunny, and they have a brand new retractable roof stadium that will be finished in a couple years.
San Diego's a fantastic city. That might even be better.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
San Diego's a fantastic city. That might even be better.

The only downside I can think of with San Diego is that the stadium is kind of a dump and there seems to be a pretty fierce local debate as to whether or not they should even keep it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The only downside I can think of with San Diego is that the stadium is kind of a dump and there seems to be a pretty fierce local debate as to whether or not they should even keep it.
I'm assuming that Angie's paying for the stadium and all of our travel. I did exclude international locations or I might have chosen Sydney or one of the Greek Islands. The stadium and travel for all of us to Mykonos might be a little too steep, even for Janny and her.

• Funny

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm assuming that Angie's paying for the stadium and all of our travel. I did exclude international locations or I might have chosen Sydney or one of the Greek Islands. The stadium and travel for all of us to Mykonos might be a little too steep, even for Janny and her.

Exporting football...who do you think you are, Roger Goodell? They can have their silly little futbol. The real thing stays here, comrade.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Exporting football...who do you think you are, Roger Goodell? They can have their silly little futbol. The real thing stays here, comrade.
We really shouldn't even give them the courtesy of letting them call it futbol, even if they bastardize the pronunciation with silly umlaut and tilde sounds.

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am biased against New Orleans simply because I had to go there for work a multitude of times, and saw the seedy side of it.

We went to the UNLV/ISU game in Vegas probably 10 years ago, and it was great - but their tailgating was not awesome. Their parking lot is just on the edge of a desert, which is less inviting. So I vote somewhere greener than that.

Maybe Atlanta?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I am biased against New Orleans simply because I had to go there for work a multitude of times, and saw the seedy side of it.

We went to the UNLV/ISU game in Vegas probably 10 years ago, and it was great - but their tailgating was not awesome. Their parking lot is just on the edge of a desert, which is less inviting. So I vote somewhere greener than that.

Maybe Atlanta?
All of New Orleans is seedy to a certain degree. That's the charm of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and cycloneG

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Maybe Atlanta?

That's the reason you go to New Orleans.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"I go to New Orleans for the arts district", said no one honestly.

"Seedy" was probably not the right word. It was more that we were in dangerous areas. Not "seedy" as in "debaucherous."

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron