Random Thoughts XII - This Thread Delivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There are quite a few Somalis in Des Moines too. I think some were at least temporarily delayed due to the travel ban.

I deliver meals from our senior citizen center one day a week. It always makes me so sad that I will be the only person who talks to some of the people on that day.

One of my summer jobs in the summer was as a meals on wheels driver. It was a eye opening for a young college guy to see that end of life. There were definitely a couple that you knew you were pretty much their only real human interaction as it was very difficult to get out of there in less than 10 minutes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My parents came to town this weekend to watch my son's baseball tournament. I help coach and coach third base for the team. Here are a couple of of the comments I had to endure from my dad while he sat with the rest of my family and some friends.
"Who's the fat third base coach!?"
When I awkwardly dropped to the ground to get out of the way of a foul ball I heard, "And that's why he was captain of the chess team in high school."

Also, when my daughter was trying on her dresses for senior pictures there was this exchange.
Grandma - "Doesn't she look pretty?"
Grandpa - "Yes, she looks pretty, but as a grandpa I think she should wear clothes that make her look more ugly."
JC senior is my new hero.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Been in a little bit of a routine rut and been reminded that some of the diversity of living in a bigger metro area has been a little wasted on me lately. Been taking advantage of some stuff like lakes and trails and all but missing some cultural stuff. Did hit a couple of Vietnamese restaurants the past week and Pants pointed out some cool spots south of dwtn to me last week. So many cool little hole in the wall places that are easy to overlook...well, that and parking and getting around in some neighborhoods is a challenge.

When daughter Alana lived in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, we got spoiled with all the great ethnic eating joints. Our favorite was a Cuban place, their sandwiches were the best. Also a really neat place called Yolk with hot breakfasts that killed.

Not to mention specialty shops - butcher, bakery, florist, liquor, etc. Only thing I really liked about Chicago.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One of my summer jobs in the summer was as a meals on wheels driver. It was a eye opening for a young college guy to see that end of life. There were definitely a couple that you knew you were pretty much their only real human interaction as it was very difficult to get out of there in less than 10 minutes.

Im with you, I never had a winter summer job.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Yep. Some of them that I know have no other contact, I have been taking garden produce to when it is not my day so I can spend more time. They are kind of the reason for my yellow tomato plants.

I am hoping I have enough kids that they won’t all hate me by the time I am that old.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the tool BC!

ISU Athletics sent me an email that if I drive over 200 miles on a day I wouldn’t be in Ames, they will give me a free clear bag. Oh joy! I could send one of the boys to Fanfest but no way that is worth the mob just for the bag.

Tempted to make an embarrassing bag just for fun, fill it with tampons, condoms, hemorrhoid cream, vagisil, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron