Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Just bring back Dash Rendar and Shadows of the Empire and I'm a happy man :)

They did bring Black Sun into cannon in the Clone Wars animated series. Prince Xizor was nowhere to be found but his species (Falleen) were running the organization. With Maul's appearance in Solo, and his arc already involving several of the crime factions (including Black Sun) could open the door to the Dash Rendar character showing up. Heck, they could pull in any number of characters, Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Talon Karrde, even Mara Jade along with Dash in the mix in a smuggler/crime underworld series. I doubt we will see Mara, given her story with Luke Skywalker in the old EU, but my hope would be to get her as a top figure in a smuggling crew and leave the "Emperor's hand" force sensitive stuff behind. Probably need to ignore that force sensitive portion of the Katarn character as well.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They did bring Black Sun into cannon in the Clone Wars animates series. Prince Xizor was nowhere to be found but his species (Falleen) were running the organization. With Maul's appearance in Solo, and his arc already involving several of the crime factions (including Black Sun) could open the door to the Dash Rendar character showing up. Heck, they could pull in any number of characters, Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Talon Karrde, even Mara Jade along with Dash in the mix in a smuggler/crime underworld series. I doubt we will see Mara, given her story with Luke Skywalker in the old EU, but my hope would be to get her as a top figure in a smuggling crew and leave the "Emperor's hand" force sensitive stuff behind. Probably need to ignore that force sensitive portion of the Katarn character as well.
I think they might bring some of those characters back but just change their story. They've certainly been willing to do it with Thrawn. I also disagree with the force sensitivity. I hope they introduce more of that. They did some of that in Clone Wars, Rebels, and Rogue One. I think they need to expand on that, especially in the movies. Get away from only Sith and Jedi being force users.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think they might bring some of those characters back but just change their story. They've certainly been willing to do it with Thrawn. I also disagree with the force sensitivity. I hope they introduce more of that. They did some of that in Clone Wars, Rebels, and Rogue One. I think they need to expand on that, especially in the movies. Get away from only Sith and Jedi being force users.

100% agree on Force sensitivity. The Force is everywhere, and in everything. I feel like Han Solo and Poe Dameron's exceptional flying skills show a link to the force, as well as Fin's ability to resist the mind programming of the First Order Storm Trooper program. Hell, everyone who's ever had "a bad feeling" about something could have a hint of precognition to them (except when droids say it of course).
We don't need everyone to become Jedi for their Force sensitivity to be acknowledged. Of course we should never mention midi-go****yourselves again. That should be a given.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
To a certain extent there are boundaries that you don't want to cross by giving every main character force powers. To say the Force has some connection or guide the events in the Solo or Poe characters is fine. To allow them to develop those powers and turn them into Force wielders after some training is another.

There need to be 'ordinaries' in the story who fit because they are more like Batman rather than discover they have the ability to develop into Superman. This is a more powerful part of the overall universe that is so attractive to the audience. I can't be Luke Skywalker, but I can see myself being an ally of his on some mission and/or ascribing to be the ideal he represents.

This is one of the things at the core of what divided the fans over the version of Luke presented in TLJ. Luke is the ideal we are all supposed to want to emulate, and has powers that definitely separate him from us. We saw him become an almost Christ-like figure in ROTJ - the primary 'good' who delivered victory over 'evil' and, by the way, redeemed his father in the process. TLJ presented him as something that fell far short of this archetype and hence pissed off a lot of people - including (apparently) Mark Hamill.

When I say characters like Mara Jade should drop the force wielding aspect of their character, I don't say it because I want a small pool of force users. To the contrary, I would love seeing a huge lightsaber battlefield full of combatants doing all sorts of amazing Force things. This might be the wrong direction for the Mara character in new cannon, as the fans who know her know she became a powerful Force wielder who eventually marries Luke and mothers their son all while developing use of the Force that rivals Luke. Given what they did to Luke, I don't think you develop Mara to those heights and have it still fit. I do want the Mara character to come back but limit her to being the right hand of the top smuggler group who can play a hunch very well (Force related or not). She could still be a powerful and very compelling character in this regard, in the mold of Han Solo.

They gave Kyle Katarn force powers because fans wanted to play a video game where they got to wield a lightsaber and Force push troopers off of ledges. It was a convenient hook to sell more video games rather than a well thought and explained turn of events. Keeping him more in the vein of the Punnisher (as he was in the original Dark Forces game) is quite enough for the character.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Rebels set up the possibility of time travel via some screwed up Force gateway.

I'm telling you, that was in someone's mind for Episode IX. I think it will be scrapped though.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Rebels set up the possibility of time travel via some screwed up Force gateway.

I'm telling you, that was in someone's mind for Episode IX. I think it will be scrapped though.

Perhaps Luke didn't become one with the light, but entered a "world between worlds" portal? I don't think they'll entertain this.

Or maybe they should keep it in their pocket as a way to whitewash and reset the Disney saga films if need be! Quite the twist for someone to enter the wbw, cause the change of some event that alters the entire trilogy, and then see some alternate timeline spring forth with a different story. Cast George Lucas (a-la Stan Lee), give him a Gandalf/Merlin wardrobe and let him play the character that gets to do the altering.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The "Star Wars Stories" series of films (Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, etc) have been put on hold by Lucasfilm.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold

I'm bummed by this news. I didn't Solo, nor did I see the need to have backstory on Han, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. What I wanted, and what I think the fans would be up for is a "Rogue Squadron"-type film set in the Star Wars universe. A Battlestar Gallactica-type of Star Wars film that focused on the pilots could have been amazing.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The "Star Wars Stories" series of films (Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, etc) have been put on hold by Lucasfilm.

I'm bummed by this news. I didn't Solo, nor did I see the need to have backstory on Han, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. What I wanted, and what I think the fans would be up for is a "Rogue Squadron"-type film set in the Star Wars universe. A Battlestar Gallactica-type of Star Wars film that focused on the pilots could have been amazing.

I think the fans wanted to see a movie that didn't desecrate Luke Skywalker.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
I think the fans wanted to see a movie that didn't desecrate Luke Skywalker.

You will get this with the Jon Favreau television series. It is supposed to be set between ROTJ and TFA, and I would wager it will have an arc involving Luke Skywalker's search of the galaxy for Jedi artifacts, temples, and force sensitives.

They almost have to re-cast the "big 3", and while they may not be the primary focus of the show, they will have to be around and involved in driving major plot points either directly or indirectly. If they do re-cast, you will get the version of Luke as he is presented in the Battlefront II game campaign mode - kind, benevolent, peaceful warrior who is searching for clues of how to follow his 'last-of-the-Jedi" path. They have a huge 30 year window to play in, and Luke doesn't go into self exile until around 10-15 years before TFA.

This series produced for Disney's streaming service has the potential to push the theatrical films to a near second tier status. This type of content has already proven superior to exploring depth, developing characters, and all with better pace. Game of Thrones or Sopranos wouldn't be near as good (or have the following) as movie trilogies. Add the technology to do Star Wars special effects in a television format is not the obstacle it used to be, and the bank behind Disney, I'm optimistic for what this could be.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...-lucasfilm-president-kathleen-kennedy-a161694

According to one person's latest report, Bob Iger would like to fire Kathleen Kennedy, but is struggling to find a replacement. Apparently, he offered it to JJ Abrams, but he turned it down. If this were to happen, my #1 obvious choice would be Kevin Feige, but at the same time, I would hate seeing him leave Marvel. My #2 choice would have been JJ Abrams and my please never choice would be Rian Johnson.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...-lucasfilm-president-kathleen-kennedy-a161694

According to one person's latest report, Bob Iger would like to fire Kathleen Kennedy, but is struggling to find a replacement. Apparently, he offered it to JJ Abrams, but he turned it down. If this were to happen, my #1 obvious choice would be Kevin Feige, but at the same time, I would hate seeing him leave Marvel. My #2 choice would have been JJ Abrams and my please never choice would be Rian Johnson.

I think Dave Filoni deserves a shot.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
He would be my #1 choice.

Over Feige???? That is a pretty bold statement, but I respect that. I can put a lot of trust in Dave on the creative side of things, but would worry about the bigger-picture planning and production side of things. Feige is the more-proven entire package guy when comparing the two to me.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

I'm disappointed as I really liked Solo, probably more than everything outside the original trilogy and the two animated series, Clone Wars and Rebels. It was a good heist movie that explored the scum underworld more, without big epic all-cost battles. I was very pleased with the movie.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Over Feige???? That is a pretty bold statement, but I respect that.

Yes, as he's done very well taking care of Clone Wars and Rebels, which I rank outside the original trilogy and better than the other movies. I'm fine with his past proven track record for SW.

Furthermore, I agree with you that I don't want him gone from Marvel.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Dave Filoni needs more experience. He needs to produce or direct a couple of big films. I think his heart and creative mind is what LucasFilm needs, but I am not sure he has the leadership, management, or experience to take on something so big.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yes, as he's done very well taking care of Clone Wars and Rebels, which I rank outside the original trilogy and better than the other movies. I'm fine with his past proven track record for SW.

Furthermore, I agree with you that I don't want him gone from Marvel.

Lets hypothetically say Feige were to leave Marvel for Lucasfilm, I'd want the Russo Bros to replace him. I've never been shy about my Russo Bros love. In fact, I've never loved a Hawkeye so much in my life.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Oh yeah, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't throw a vote in for myself to lead Lucasfilm. Believe me, I may make it look like this:

Zki6LEk.gif

BUT.... you'd be entertained and you could get me on the super-cheap. Bob Iger.... call me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron