Wild idea, new B12/PAC12 super conf ... after 2025

• Thread starter Deleted member 39238
  • Start date

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
But wasn't it OU not ISU or Ku that the PAC12 went after along with Texas?

Well duh, what is your point? You made a post about the Pac12 academics and I said the schools that would be left in the dust if it was the deciding factor. Your school didnt make the list.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just don't see this happening, but it is intriguing to think about.

I don't think the trend will continue for mega conferences. I could be dead wrong though. I could eventually see the Big 12 add a couple teams, but that's about it.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The Big 12 / Pac 12 idea isn't new, wild or feasible...

But a TV alliance & scheduling agreement is.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
My much shorter analysis: we are the stronger conference, we don't need them. At most we cherry pick 2 teams to get to 12. The PAC is a mess right now.

Option #1- pick off both of the Arizona schools
Option #2- pick off one of the Arizona schools and then add in a Houston or CSU, etc
Option #3- Merge or create a conference network alliance with the P12

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Maybe I'm ignorant, which is entirely possible, but I don't get the fascination with Colorado St. Don't get me wrong. I think that would be cool and definitely will make that road trip. But what is it about them?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Maybe I'm ignorant, which is entirely possible, but I don't get the fascination with Colorado St. Don't get me wrong. I think that would be cool and definitely will make that road trip. But what is it about them?
I don't believe the B12 is going to expand. Everyone seems comfortable at the moment for obvious reasons. But to CSU: contiguous, 30k plus students, solid academics, gorgeous new stadium, Denver TV market, cultural fit, poke in CU's eye.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't believe the B12 is going to expand. Everyone seems comfortable at the moment for obvious reasons. But to CSU: contiguous, 30k plus students, solid academics, gorgeous new stadium, Denver TV market, cultural fit, poke in CU's eye.
Do people in Denver actually care about CSU football?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Maybe take the 2 Arizona schools or the 2 Arizona schools and CU and BYU. That would make the most sense I would think.

Agree with the two AZ schools and CU, but how does BYU enter the discussion? This about the PAC12 wild idea.
Want no part of BYU in the Big12.

• Agree
Reactions: weR138

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm not sure how one could measure that. It's just that the Denver TV market is big. And that seems to matter when stuff like this is discussed, see Rutgers to the B10 and Miz to the SEC.

TV market size mattered earlier this decade when conferences were getting paid by cable carriage fees. In the next decade, when conferences might be getting paid by Google, Netflix, and Amazon, it will not matter so much.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: TykeClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
TV market size mattered earlier this decade when conferences were getting paid by cable companies. In the next decade, when conferences might be getting paid by Google, Netflix, and Amazon, it will not matter so much.
I admit to zero expertise in this new age media discussion.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The discussion here is about 2023-25. Even if we did get to pick today and the Az schools were to listen, why would they bite when in a few years, the entire drawing board is going to be ripped up and thrown away.

As of now, there is absolutely zero evidence this is even possible, let alone likely.

D

Deleted member 39238

I admit to zero expertise in this new age media discussion.

Really, nobody else does either. I think we are going to be in uncharted territory.

Here is what we do know: in 2022-23 the B1G TV deal with Fox/ESPN expires and will have to be re-negotiated or replaced. Ditto for the SEC and its Tier 1 deal with CBS in 2023-24. And Ditto again for the PAC and its TV deal the same year 2023-24. And finally the B12's TV deal expires along with the B12 GOR in 2024-25.

There is some thought too that the current PAC12 Network and ACC Network ... which have struggled ... will have enough history under their belt (say another 3-4 years) to know if they are viable or not ... around the same timeframe. I think the ACC Network is supposed to start up next year ... and its been a long time getting off the ground. Unfortunately the Longhorn Network contract doesn't end until 2031.

There is a really interesting article here: https://www.diehards.com/big-12/big-12-television-rights-bob-bowlsby-netflix-amazon-google where Bowlsby talks about the situation. He kinda hints that the B12 might negotiate a deal with someone like Amazon or Google prior to the GOR expiring ... which implies that it gets extended or amended or something. His attitude seems pretty good to me ... maybe too good. Seems like since the B1G/SEC contracts expires before ours ... that the they might pre-empt us by signing a deal first ... and thereby set the tone for the others that follow. And maybe that's exactly what he's concerned about and why he wants to get out front. Anyway ... that's a good read.

All we know right now ... is that lots of change is coming and not very many answers as to how its all going to turn out.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Really, nobody else does either. I think we are going to be in uncharted territory.

Here is what we do know: in 2022-23 the B1G TV deal with Fox/ESPN expires and will have to be re-negotiated or replaced. Ditto for the SEC and its Tier 1 deal with CBS in 2023-24. And Ditto again for the PAC and its TV deal the same year 2023-24. And finally the B12's TV deal expires along with the B12 GOR in 2024-25.

There is some thought too that the current PAC12 Network and ACC Network ... which have struggled ... will have enough history under their belt (say another 3-4 years) to know if they are viable or not ... around the same timeframe. I think the ACC Network is supposed to start up next year ... and its been a long time getting off the ground. Unfortunately the Longhorn Network contract doesn't end until 2031.

There is a really interesting article here: https://www.diehards.com/big-12/big-12-television-rights-bob-bowlsby-netflix-amazon-google where Bowlsby talks about the situation. He kinda hints that the B12 might negotiate a deal with someone like Amazon or Google prior to the GOR expiring ... which implies that it gets extended or amended or something. His attitude seems pretty good to me ... maybe too good. Seems like since the B1G/SEC contracts expires before ours ... that the they might pre-empt us by signing a deal first ... and thereby set the tone for the others that follow. And maybe that's exactly what he's concerned about and why he wants to get out front. Anyway ... that's a good read.

All we know right now ... is that lots of change is coming and not very many answers as to how its all going to turn out.
Pay very close attention to the comments by Bowlsby regarding Amazon or Google. This media world is changing fast and it will take real visionaries and bold strokes to deal with these changes. Bowlsby led us through the "Big 12 is dead" perception and it's my opinion that his stock has risen. He knows something. BTW it really bugs the HOK fans that Bowlsby has shown true leadership in the Big 12.

Think about how ISU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country, the size of our school and the responsiveness of our fan base, not to mention OU, TX. We are in good shape to move ahead in ANY media environment, and I think the Big 12 in general is in good shape as well.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Wrote this up a couple of weeks ago and decided to post it last nite in a different thread. Did it piecemeal and didn't get much traction ... so thought I would post it again as its own thread. This is just an idea thrown out there for discussion ...

Part I:

Started thinking of this because of the thread on the B10 going to 8 conf games ... so the good teams can get some easy wins to pad their resume for playoff/bowl consideration ... like what the SEC does. That made it clear that Quality is not of the utmost importance, wins are. Wins and eyeballs. In the context of cord cutting and move to online streaming/pay per view things are going to be changing between now and 2023-25 when all TV contracts expire/renew. Changing big time. Cable and the payouts ... when renewed ... will be the same (not going up) or maybe even going down, in my opinion anyway. Streaming and pay per view ... will be going up. A lot. Maybe hugely. Amazon. Netflix. Facebook. Twitter. Somebody is going to want to stream football games and will pay a lot to do it.

So my thoughts initially were along some sort of merger alliance of the B12 and PAC12. But I just couldn't the teams/numbers to work out. So ... the B1G 8 Conf games thing ... kinda sunk in and I thought ... that instead of playing out of conference mediocre teams why not invite these teams into the conference but structure the payouts based on how many eyeballs they brought. Teams that maybe shouldn't belong would get less, a lot less. Unless they brought a lot of eyeballs ... in streaming. More eyeballs they bring ... the more they get in revenue. And the new ... first ... super conference would really be an alliance of 2 conferences. 2 16 team conferences in an alliance ... spanning every timezone with good/great matchups ... every weekend, all day long. Could something like that work ??? How could you make it work ? That's what I dove into. So ... here goes.

Goals:
Maximize eyeballs. Good teams/schools with large alumni bases get priority.
Prioritize regional/historical matchups.
Name and "State" schools are kept together for in-state rivalries.
Set up interesting inter-regional matchups or culture mis-matches ... private vs public, commuter vs land grant, east coast vs west coast, etc.
Future potential may trump existing legacy.
Make sure the blue bloods/elites are happy, otherwise its a no go.
May have to include teams to make it politically acceptable.
In order to be "bowl eligible" some lesser teams will be invited. Grant wins for Elite teams to make sure they are considered for CFP. SEC has been doing this via out-of-conference scheduling, B1G is considering doing it too. This is the same thing but within-conference (keeps $$$ close to home).
Divisions will be organized with some elites, some good teams, and a bad team or two in each.
This does not imply parity between divisions !!!
Divisions will NOT be balanced or equal; that's ok !!!

Characteristics:
Conference will span EVERY TIMEZONE
TV/Bowl game revenue is not split evenly. Legacy B12/PAC teams get full equal share. New invites get 1/2. This is not a phase in ... its permanent.
Conference network may be created based on existing UT network or merger with PAC network ... with an emphasis on streaming.
Streaming revenue per school is based on #subscribers for that school. School keeps streaming revenue.
Pay per view events for major matchups ???

Specifics: new 32 team conference.
4 divisions of 8 teams ... North, South, East, West
Teams are the B12 + PAC12, with a mix of Mtn West and AAC teams.
Divisions are not balanced nor equal.
Divisions have specific alliances.
North is allied to South, East is allied to West
These alliances are hugely important !!!

Read on to see how that would work.

New teams added:
team/size
San Diego State - 34K
Colorado State - 33K
New Mexico - 26K
BYU - 33K

Cinci - 44K
UCF - 66K
USF - 49K
Memphis - 21K
Houston - 45K
UConn - 32K

Just noticed the OP is now "Deleted Member". That was a lot of effort only to disappear. His choice or ban-hammer?