Clyde Williams Stadium?

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
2275477736_c7b26d11d5.jpg

1179.jpg

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=6928242
It's crazy how much this area has changed. Never knew there was a football stadium where State gym is today.

Reactions: ComCY

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I lived on the south wing of Helser. I'm not even sure if that part of Helser is still standing. You could walk out the west door and you would be right under the stadium. The student section was right in that area, so it was ultra convenient. Students would line up at the gates, but my friend and I would wait until closer to kickoff and then head into the stands. Without fail someone would see us as we walked up, and offer us a place near them. I don't even remember anyone being ****** about it.

That west door of Helser was seldom used other than game day as the route to campus and most other things was the other direction. Even heading to Dogtown, I think we left via the more standard exit which put you in the between Friley and Helser. To get to Dogtown you would walk through the Friley arches on the south end. That end was the women's dorm. All the rest of Friley and all of Helser were men. It was a terrible ratio, which I fixed by moving to the RCA my sophomore year, where the ratio was 2:1 women to men.
Yes, I lived in Fulmer House, which was on the 3rd floor of the north wing of Helser. Never understood why it was torn down. Guess, I never got the email about RCA? Saw someone said ISU is no longer on quarter system? when did that change?

• Funny
Reactions: Cypwr

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Yes, I lived in Fulmer House, which was on the 3rd floor of the north wing of Helser. Never understood why it was torn down. Guess, I never got the email about RCA? Saw someone said ISU is no longer on quarter system? when did that change?
Looks like ISU switched to semesters from quarters in the fall of 1981.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Fun place to watch football. I was taking a photography class and obtained a press pass for two games that allowed me to roam the sidelines of the K-State and OU games. Got some cool photos of Joe Washington on the bench changing into his silver cleats. He ran for 200+ yards that day, despite the tall, wet turf. One tradition back then was to toss oranges on the field following State’s first TD (back then, the Big 8 champ went to the Orange Bowl). I remember K-State players picking them up and tossing them back into the stands. Fun times!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
9GCvuy5.jpg

Imagine for a moment if they had decided to put the new stadium across from the armory. And left the lad south to Beyer Hall for tailgating and parking.

That would be a totally different environment than today. Would be kind of cool, but we wouldn't have the same kind of tailgating.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
9GCvuy5.jpg

Imagine for a moment if they had decided to put the new stadium across from the armory. And left the lad south to Beyer Hall for tailgating and parking.
If we’re doing that, let’s imagine we avoided the low budget Brutalism design, too.

Not bad. It would have really changed the feel of game day. Putting in where the the cross county course and baseball field was wouldn’t have been too bad either.

MikeinWDM

Feb 12, 2018
That design was typical of the times, when you look at the Iowa State Center, everything is formed concrete. Same with the Towers.