Ideas for avoiding technicals

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
A recent article I read indicated that officials are right about 94% of the time. That would seem to indicate they are better at their jobs than coaches or players.

Depends what you are counting. If "dribbles," then players probably get more than 94% done right. If "shots," then not.

As for refs, I assume you are counting actual "calls" they make, not "non-calls" (which I would consider worthy of measuring if we are really serious about evaluating refs). Tonight, I may try to keep count of how many actual calls they make in comparison with ones where I would be yelling at them for making the wrong call (or chuckling that we got away with one).

If I get to 19 without a bad call, then I will know to get ready.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I saw Lard go up to the ref after the timeout. I suspect that he asked what he did wrong. Based on what Prohm said after the game, he probably didn't get much of an answer. At the time, I was hoping he was telling the ref that he is an emotional player, but that he will try not to do anything else that even looks like taunting. Try to get the benefit of the doubt back in his favor.

Rux, does stuff like that even help at all with refs?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
A recent article I read indicated that officials are right about 94% of the time. That would seem to indicate they are better at their jobs than coaches or players.
To be fair, most calls are pretty easy. Shot clock violations, out on a certain player, etc. I would doubt they are much better than 50/50 on close plays. I’m not saying I’d be better because it’s a tough job, but there are some refs who aren’t very good in tight calls

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Isnt a 360 dunk more bad sportsmanship than yelling getting excited after you score?

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Bamba's been shoutin' and showboatin' all night, no calls.

I agree. I thought after his huge dunk......why no T?

I personally do not think that it was technical worthy by any means, just a guy super jacked after a huge dunk. What that said, if Cam gets a T, then that should too.

I don't like it. it's too subjective and puts a bit too much power in the refs hands to influence a game.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I saw Lard go up to the ref after the timeout. I suspect that he asked what he did wrong. Based on what Prohm said after the game, he probably didn't get much of an answer. At the time, I was hoping he was telling the ref that he is an emotional player, but that he will try not to do anything else that even looks like taunting. Try to get the benefit of the doubt back in his favor.

Rux, does stuff like that even help at all with refs?
Sure, unless the ref is a total douche. Assuming he's not, he's thinking to himself,"OK, this is not a bad dude," and he might cut him a break next time.

What do I know? I'm just a lowly high school ref. I like kids and I like to be approachable. I gave my first T this year in about three years and, coincidentally it was for taunting.

Reactions: Doc

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Here's the video of Cam's T in the Texas Tech game. When you watch it you can hear the whistle at the end of the clip which was the official giving Cam the T. He literally yells. At no one. I don't care your angle on the court, you can easily tell he's not yelling at anyone...he's not even really close to anyone. There should be no excuses for whistles like this. I prefer not to watch sports robots with no emotion.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Here's the video of Cam's T in the Texas Tech game. When you watch it you can hear the whistle at the end of the clip which was the official giving Cam the T. He literally yells. At no one. I don't care your angle on the court, you can easily tell he's not yelling at anyone...he's not even really close to anyone. There should be no excuses for whistles like this. I prefer not to watch sports robots with no emotion.

Don't see anything here that would warrant a tech in my book. Of course, we don't know if any magic words were said.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Here's the other T. You can clearly see (and hear) exactly what he says. I know that he probably got it for yelling in a crowd, but watch the whole thing and listen to the announcer. I agree with him 1000%. That shouldn't warrant a technical, and I've watched people yell that all the time in a crowd of opponents and the officials don't bat an eye. It pisses me off, and I'm glad the announcer had the cojones to say something about it.

• Agree
Reactions: CY88CE11

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Here's the other T. You can clearly see (and hear) exactly what he says. I know that he probably got it for yelling in a crowd, but watch the whole thing and listen to the announcer. I agree with him 1000%. That shouldn't warrant a technical, and I've watched people yell that all the time in a crowd of opponents and the officials don't bat an eye. It pisses me off, and I'm glad the announcer had the cojones to say something about it.

You can see the ref mouth what looks like "taunting" when Cam asks him. But it just makes Cam more confused. Taunting your own team or what?

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought it was pretty clear that he yelled "And one" while flexing and looking right at the guy who fouled him. That is taunting. Whether or not I think it should be called a technical foul is irrelevant. Seems like that is a call the NCAA wants the refs to be making.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ

Yeah, this is total bush league officiating right here - at home, no less. Let the kid play.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I personally do not think that it was technical worthy by any means, just a guy super jacked after a huge dunk. What that said, if Cam gets a T, then that should too.

This is it. I have no problem with the T's, if they are called the same way. Obviously they are not. Bamba is evidence of it not being called the same.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sure, unless the ref is a total douche. Assuming he's not, he's thinking to himself,"OK, this is not a bad dude," and he might cut him a break next time.

What do I know? I'm just a lowly high school ref. I like kids and I like to be approachable. I gave my first T this year in about three years and, coincidentally it was for taunting.

Yeah. Or at least approach Cam on the next timeout, tell him that was on the line and to tone it down/this is your warning. Instead of just doing it.