Bowl Game Projections

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
As of this morning -- 11/13

Espn:
Bonagura: Iowa State vs. Texas A&M Texas Bowl-- Dec. 27
Hale: Iowa State vs. Texas A&M Liberty Bowl-- Dec 30

Sports Illustrated:
Camping World Bowl, Orlando, Fla. (5:15 p.m., ESPN)
NC State vs. Iowa State

Bleacher Report:

AutoZone Liberty Bowl: Iowa State vs. Missouri --Dec 30

SB Nation
Liberty (Memphis): Iowa State vs. Kentucky -- Dec 30

CBS Sports:
Camping World Bowl Dec. 28 -- N.C. State vs. Iowa State

Sporting News:
Texas Bowl Iowa State vs. Washington State -- Dec 27

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree with your bullet points, but I also think many ISU fans would prefer to go to a new destination as opposed to Memphis again. I went to the Liberty Bowl last time and had a blast, but I could see why families with younger kids would also rather go to Orlando. The partying scene in Memphis was fun, but I’m not sure how much that would appeal to families. Also, even though the bowl pecking order has changed, if we went back to Memphis again after this season it would feel like a bit of a letdown IMO.

I get your point, but the ease of travel to Memphis could make it a really affordable trip for families as well.

The only reason repeat bowls have felt like a let down in the past, is because the destination sucked (Shreveport). Memphis is a cool city, close to Iowa, and it will offer a fun opponent.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I wonder what bowl the players would prefer? Orlando would be my guess based off the social activities in Orlando compared to some of the other destinations.

Plus, ISU has 16 players from the state of Florida (second only to Iowa)

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and CTTB78

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We enjoyed our time in Memphis but it would be really hard to go back. If ISU goes to Orlando, you have options (Tampa, Ft. Myers, Eastern/Western Shores, etc) A lot of options within a 3-hour radius.

It's definitely a better extended vacation sort of destination, but if we're talking maximizing fan attendance, it's stickier.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I hope JP is angling for Memphis.

1) It's a better date. It's a weekend game and will make travel easier.
2) It's a beatable SEC opponent. Great way to finish the year, and they'll likely bring a ton of fans, making for a better atmosphere.
3) It's a MUCH easier to reach destination for our fanbase.
4) Memphis is vastly superior to Orlando as an interesting, cultural destination. Blues, BBQ, and partying on Beale Street >>>>>>> Mickey Mouse, strip malls, and swamps.

It's the best combination of easy travel, intriguing opponent, and destination. Everything you want in a bowl game. We will bring more fans to this game than any. San Antonio would be my 2nd choice.
Meh we were just there in 2012

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hope JP is angling for Memphis.

1) It's a better date. It's a weekend game and will make travel easier.
2) It's a beatable SEC opponent. Great way to finish the year, and they'll likely bring a ton of fans, making for a better atmosphere.
3) It's a MUCH easier to reach destination for our fanbase.
4) Memphis is vastly superior to Orlando as an interesting, cultural destination. Blues, BBQ, and partying on Beale Street >>>>>>> Mickey Mouse, strip malls, and swamps.

It's the best combination of easy travel, intriguing opponent, and destination. Everything you want in a bowl game. We will bring more fans to this game than any. San Antonio would be my 2nd choice.

I loved Memphis and I’d be thrilled to go there again. It’s an easy drive and that makes it cheaper. The Alamo bowl is unlikely but would be great just because it’s always had the same name and it’s kind of prestige thing.

My first choice is Orlando though. Not many big 12 Florida bowls.

I’d like to avoid Dallas or Houston.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just checked and so far, there are some cheap flights to Orlando that would work for the bowl game. One for $179 leaving on thd 24th and coming back the 31st.

Yeah, if you want to speculate on destinations, you can probably do ok. But, I'm not willing to risk that yet. Once the destination is announced, you can bank on prices going up.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, if you want to speculate on destinations, you can probably do ok. But, I'm not willing to risk that yet. Once the destination is announced, you can bank on prices going up.

Yeah, you are right on that.

I’d maybe take a shot if we win on Saturday at $179 though. Maybe.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with your bullet points, but I also think many ISU fans would prefer to go to a new destination as opposed to Memphis again. I went to the Liberty Bowl last time and had a blast, but I could see why families with younger kids would also rather go to Orlando. The partying scene in Memphis was fun, but I’m not sure how much that would appeal to families. Also, even though the bowl pecking order has changed, if we went back to Memphis again after this season it would feel like a bit of a letdown IMO.

My opinion will probably be unpopular but I'd rather be in Orlando. I had a good time in Memphis but part of a bowl for me is getting to better weather, and we went there before. Memphis weather was fine but it honestly wasn't all that warm. I've also personally never been to Orlando so it'd be something new for me.

Party scene in Memphis was fine but if I want to party with Cyclone fans we have KC every year.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, you are right on that.

I’d maybe take a shot if we win on Saturday at $179 though. Maybe.

That's also an awfully long time to be gone, for me. Ideally, I'd like to fly in the day before the game, and leave the day after. that's just my preference, though.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I gambled on Orlando this morning and locked in 3 tickets on Delta for 29,000 miles each, which is dirt cheap. The beauty of using miles is that if we don't get Orlando, there's no penalty to cancel the flights, so its a great way to lock in a cheap ticket prior to the announcement. Lots of cheap good hotels available right now too.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My opinion will probably be unpopular but I'd rather be in Orlando. I had a good time in Memphis but part of a bowl for me is getting to better weather, and we went there before. Memphis weather was fine but it honestly wasn't all that warm. I've also personally never been to Orlando so it'd be something new for me.

Party scene in Memphis was fine but if I want to party with Cyclone fans we have KC every year.

I'll admit, I'm hoping for Memphis, purely because of its proximity. Distance is going to be a big determining factor for me. That's why I'm pulling for Liberty or one of the bowls in Texas. If proximity weren't a factor, I still wouldn't pick Orlando, though. It's just a crappy, overpriced, generic city that is geared for exactly one thing, Disney.

Help Support Us

Become a patron