Optimism for Okie State matchup

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I guess I haven't quite adjusted to the Big12 style yet, but not sure damn good defense can be used to describe a team that gave up 62 to OU, 44 to TCU, 39 to WVU and I think 31 or 34 to TTech. Do they have some talent, certainly. Will our O struggle against them? Probably. But if that's a damn good defense than ISU is the 85 Bears.
The big 12 has some good defenses this year. iSu, Texas, TCU, and KSU are all good defensive teams. The one thing they all have in common is they tend to play at a slower pace offensively or choose when to push pace.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!....here comes a serious rant.

I get so sick and tired of the Big 12 plays no defense crap. And it is crap. Big 12, ACC and PAC 12 are very similar conferences. They all play at faster paces and are more balanced offenses than the SEC and big tin. They have more plays per game and more possessions per game because of the pace they play. More plays, more possessions means more points. The SEC and big tin are simply slower paced and more one dimensional. Defenses love to make teams one dimensional but the big tin and SEC choose to do it to themselves.

But what happens when you see a team like tOSU force a faster pace? You see them hang 29 on on a so called great Penn St defense. You see a 55-24 score against iowa.Indiana likes to force pace and their games are always higher scoring. Look to the SEC, six teams average better than 30 PPG. 4 of them push pace and the other two are Georgia and Alabama. What happen Alabama faces a team that forces pace like Clemson...higher scoring games.

How has iSu beaten teams like OU, TCU and kept all their Big 12 brethren belwo their scopring average...slower pace, bend but don't break defense. It shortens the games. iSu, TCU, OU and KSU have run the fewest plays. iSu, TCU, Texas and OU have allowed the fewest plays.
PACE, PACE, PACE

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
Now we’re having fun.

Rushing Defense rankings, conference games only;

View attachment 51594
Texas had 42 yards rushing in Austin against the Cowboys, but had 141 in Ames against the Cyclones.

WVU had 208 yards rushing in Morgantown against the Cyclones, but only gained 62 yards in Morgantown against the Cowboys.

Texas Tech went for 129 yards rushing against the Cyclones in Lubbock, but only gained 54 yards on the ground at home against the Cowboys.

In conference games only, ISU is dead last in rushing yards per game at 93.2 yards per game.

Given these stats, why do you think OSU will be ineffective in stopping your ground game? Especially if it’s snowing at game time.

ISU has allowed 5 rushing TD's, compared to OSU's 12. See, in football, points matter. Your assumption that yards equal points is incorrect. You are viewing it as a rule, and it isn't. ISU could allow 10,000 yards rushing on the year, but if nobody scores...does it matter? We still win those games...because nobody scores. Maybe in Oklahoma, you guys keep track of points differently than the rest of us morons.

And I'm glad you brought up snow and cold weather. Im going on a limb here and assume the majority of your players are from warmer climates. The good news is the cold weather is going to benefit ISU in this. I hope for blustery, wet conditions. Most of our guys are from the upper Midwest, or Iowa and are used to being hit in the cold. Even if they aren't weve been practicing in cold weather. It only takes one decent hit in the cold to take the fight out of you. I hope that happens early.

It is alarming at how terrible you are at talking sports. You have been awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Do you follow Football?

Here is the the most recently available rankings from Football Outsiders as to the efficiency of the the two defenses. Neither defense is even close to being below average.

View attachment 51593

Note: I’m not going to explain who Football Outsiders is. If you don’t know, you’re not worth debating with.
Says the guy that claims his DL had five sacks in the second half against OU.

Your defense hasn't really stopped good offenses.
TCU- 44 points averages 35.8
TT-34 points averages 38.2
WV-39 points averages 40.2
OU-62 points averages 45

iSu's defense vs those teams
TCU-7 points off a kick return
TT- 13 points
WV- 20 points
OU-31 points

If Okie State stops iSu's offense, it will be because we have a poor run blocking OL and a QB that doesn't have great arm strength.

Reactions: khardbored

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
ISU has allowed 5 rushing TD's, compared to OSU's 12. See, in football, points matter. Your assumption that yards equal points is incorrect. You are viewing it as a rule, and it isn't. ISU could allow 10,000 yards rushing on the year, but if nobody scores...does it matter? We still win those games...because nobody scores. Maybe in Oklahoma, you guys keep track of points differently than the rest of us morons.

And I'm glad you brought up snow and cold weather. Im going on a limb here and assume the majority of your players are from warmer climates. The good news is the cold weather is going to benefit ISU in this. I hope for blustery, wet conditions. Most of our guys are from the upper Midwest, or Iowa and are used to being hit in the cold. Even if they aren't weve been practicing in cold weather. It only takes one decent hit in the cold to take the fight out of you. I hope that happens early.

It is alarming at how terrible you are at talking sports. You have been awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Low of 29 Friday night. High of 45 Saturday and a 40% chance of rain. Game time looks to be 40 degrees with windchill of 35.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Now we’re having fun.

View attachment 51594
Texas had 42 yards rushing in Austin against the Cowboys, but had 141 in Ames against the Cyclones.

WVU had 208 yards rushing in Morgantown against the Cyclones, but only gained 62 yards in Morgantown against the Cowboys.

Texas Tech went for 129 yards rushing against the Cyclones in Lubbock, but only gained 54 yards on the ground at home against the Cowboys.

In conference games only, ISU is dead last in rushing yards per game at 93.2 yards per game.

Given these stats, why do you think OSU will be ineffective in stopping your ground game? Especially if it’s snowing at game time.
Put up pass defense stats buddy. iSu throws the ball 53% of the time and uses the short passing game...A LOT.

Okie St's pass defense is 8th in the Big 12 in conference play. 7th in the Big 12 over all.

But I will offer you an explanation. iSu is also dead last in rushing attempts. Fewer attempts= fewer yards.
Another explanation. Since Kempt has taken over. iSu has slowed the pace and played field position. This shortens the game, allows fewer plays and fewer possessions. iSu has run the second fewest plays of any Big 12 team. Second only to KSU. iSu has allowed the third fewest plays. Only TCU and Texas have allowed fewer. When you look at conference only, only Baylor and TCU have allowed fewer.

So, when the pace is slowed, there are fewer possessions, there are fewer yards to be had.

Reactions: cyattack69

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
That's what I don't get. If you have a struggling o-line, power blocking is the answer. Combo blocks, traps, and pulls are all designed to give you leverage. Just blows my mind we still try this one on one zone block bs.
We have been utilizing "power blocking" all season and it has been relatively ineffective. Watching our guys pull has been painful at times. Had some success against WV with zone blocking. Saturday was the second best rushing performance we have had in conference. Only one better was TT.
Zone blocking can get you leverage as well. Hell Denver Broncos used to be a dominant running team under Shanahan utilizing zone blocking with smaller OL.

I think the staff is trying to find any type of run blocking that the OL is good at.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
If ISU wins out, it's 97% chance we're in the CCG. I'd say that's pretty much controlling our own destiny.
LOL...pretty much unless WV wins out.

Sorry but WV controls their destiny. iSu does not. iSu needs someone else to lose(WV). When you need someone else to do something. You don't control your own destiny.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
LOL...pretty much unless WV wins out.

Sorry but WV controls their destiny. iSu does not. iSu needs someone else to lose(WV). When you need someone else to do something. You don't control your own destiny.

While true, you and I both know OU isnt losing 2 more home games

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Do you follow Football?

Here is the the most recently available rankings from Football Outsiders as to the efficiency of the the two defenses. Neither defense is even close to being below average.

View attachment 51593

Note: I’m not going to explain who Football Outsiders is. If you don’t know, you’re not worth debating with.
Do you follow football?

iSu passes 53% of the time and runs 47% of the time. Okie State's pass defense is 8th int he Big 12 against conference foes. iSu is dead last in the Big 12 in rush attempts.

I really hope Okie State concentrates on stopping the run and goes man coverage. Really plays into iSu's strengths

• Agree

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
While true, you and I both know OU isnt losing 2 more home games
It is college football. Thoe one thing I know about college football is whatever the percentages say this week will not be what they said last week and won't be what they say next week.

I highly doubt OU loses two more home games but this season has been crazy, they have a first year HC, and they don't have a good defense.

If they lose to TCU, their chances of the Big 12 Championship drop and they are out of the playoffs.

Beat TCU and they will have talk about playoff game and Big 12 Championship swirling.

Like another poster said...I am not sure what happens if iSu, TCU, WV and OU all end with 2 losses. iSu obviously has the tiebreaker over OU and TCU. WV would have the tie breaker over iSu and OU. OU would have the tiebreaker over TCU. and TCU would have the tiebreaker over WV.

Maybe iSu could make the championship with WV winning out.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Cyclones are going to need a trick play on offense, maybe two. Conservative play cost them against WV. Gotta get the ball to Ryen in space.
I don't think we need trick plays. Just do what we do well.

Rewatching the game and we shot ourselves in the foot. We were moving the ball well in the first half until the Chase Allen penalty put us behind the eight ball.

One series in the second half Kempt under threw Lazard and Lazard didn't high point. That play was there for a TD but we ended up with a FG.

Another series and Kempt underthrew Ryen who bobbled the catch. A good throw and it is a TD. Even a catch and we have first down on the 25 and are in four down territory with an open playbook and plenty of time.

iSu had opportunities to win that game. Just needed to make plays at key moments. Do that and you win games. Don't do that and you lose games.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I don't think we need trick plays. Just do what we do well.

Rewatching the game and we shot ourselves in the foot. We were moving the ball well in the first half until the Chase Allen penalty put us behind the eight ball.

One series in the second half Kempt under threw Lazard and Lazard didn't high point. That play was there for a TD but we ended up with a FG.

Another series and Kempt underthrew Ryen who bobbled the catch. A good throw and it is a TD. Even a catch and we have first down on the 25 and are in four down territory with an open playbook and plenty of time.

iSu had opportunities to win that game. Just needed to make plays at key moments. Do that and you win games. Don't do that and you lose games.
I agree with your points, but not about the blame on Kempt.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
images
Trolling...
When one won't engage in conversation they are a troll.

It is fun shooting down his idiocy. IT is like he is trying to convince himself that they are still great after giving up 62 points, 785 total yards, 598 yards passing, 187 rushing yards and 4.7 YPC.

• Agree

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I agree with your points, but not about the blame on Kempt.
I placed blame on Kempt and the WRs.

I don't know how you can look at those two plays and not see Kempt under threw the ball. He did. A well thrown ball and the defenders are taken out of the play.

Lazard had his guy beat with the double move. Lazard did not high point the ball well and it hit him in the bicep. Not good. But he had to come back for the ball and that gave the defender an opportunity to defend. Lazard could have also jumped into the defender more and draw the PI.

Ryen had to slow down and reach back for the ball. If he catches it clean, he probably gets tackled at the 25. But he bobbled it and that gave the defender the chance to stick his hand in.
If Kempt makes a good throw, Ryen doesn't slow down and scores.

Kempt didn't make great throws but the WRs also didn't make plays. It falls on both

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Big 12 tiebreaker rules

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

Tiebreaker Procedure. If two teams are tied for first place both teams will participate in the championship game and the winner of the head-to-head will be the #1 seed. If more than two teams tie for first place, the tiebreaker procedures below will be applied separately, to identify each participant in the championship game.

In the event two (or more teams) tie for second or any subsequent position, the tiebreaker procedures below will be used to break all ties as necessary. For the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process:
a. If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular-season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
b. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the regular season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
1. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against each other in a “mini round-robin” format.
2. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
standings from top to bottom.
a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
competition before the comparison begins.
b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
tied teams as a group will be used.
3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.
4. Draw (In the event steps 1-3 cannot break a multi-team tie the prevailing team or teams will be determined by draw at the
Conference office).
In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determining any portion of seeding,
the following procedures will be used:
a. The draw will be conducted in public or with media attendance.
b. Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.
c. A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order
of seeding from highest to lowest.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Big 12 tiebreaker rules

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

Tiebreaker Procedure. If two teams are tied for first place both teams will participate in the championship game and the winner of the head-to-head will be the #1 seed. If more than two teams tie for first place, the tiebreaker procedures below will be applied separately, to identify each participant in the championship game.

In the event two (or more teams) tie for second or any subsequent position, the tiebreaker procedures below will be used to break all ties as necessary. For the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process:
a. If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular-season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
b. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the regular season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
1. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against each other in a “mini round-robin” format.
2. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
standings from top to bottom.
a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
competition before the comparison begins.
b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
tied teams as a group will be used.
3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.
4. Draw (In the event steps 1-3 cannot break a multi-team tie the prevailing team or teams will be determined by draw at the
Conference office).
In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determining any portion of seeding,
the following procedures will be used:
a. The draw will be conducted in public or with media attendance.
b. Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.
c. A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order
of seeding from highest to lowest.

So in the event that OU beats TCU and WV beats OU and iSu wins out we get a four way tie of OU/TCU/WV/iSu. Tiebreaker goes as follows
Rule 1- mini round robin- records against each other
iSu-1-2
WV- 2-1
TCU-1-2
OU-1-2

So that means WV and iSu would be in the Big 12 Championship game, the Big 12 would be pissed.

• Funny

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Now we’re having fun.

View attachment 51594

My post had little to do with the efficacy of the OSU run defense. You presented us with a strategy that's as old as the game as if it had originated in your living room.