Optimism for Okie State matchup

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don't like how we match up with them at all, but the resilience of this group (especially the defense) makes me believe we will be in this game.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
good luck trying to have a reasonable discussion with Poke. That's hawk level ignorance.

I wonder if that's the same guy who told us they had 3 NFL QB's when guys like Lunt were there.
OSU does have a damn good defense. He is right about that. He is wrong about a lot of other things. OSU didn't get sacks with just their front four. They didn't wear OU down. They had to blitz...A LOT to get pressure on Mayfield and they gave up big plays because of it.

iSu is second in the Big 12 in sacks allowed and have played 3 out of the top four sack leading teams in the Big 12. iSu has allowed 7 sacks or 1.4 per game since Kempt has taken over. The passing game utilizes a lot of short passes so the opportunity for sacks is limited.

Brailford vs Foster is scary to think about though. I imagine iSu will keep Seonbucher in there to help Foster or use Montgomery to chip him.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Count on us to run he same defensive scheme we ran against he Mountaineers. We’re going to stuff your run game and make your QB and WRs try to win he game. If you don’t have a deep OL, than look for the same OSU d-line that got five sacks on Mayfield in the second half, to continuously keep substituting fresh DLs to wear your o-line down. We’ve done this to everyone we’ve played this year. You’ll see opposing offenses come in and look relatively effective early in the game, and then we’ll start hurrying your QB, and then a quarter later, we’ll start planting him in he turf. It’s as predictable as the sun rising.

If you’re going to win, you need to get out front early. That’s what TCU and OU did. If we’re ahead at the half, it’s over.
OSU gave up 3 TDs and a FG in the second half on Saturday. Yep...really shut them down and wore em down

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I am absolutely not optimistic, but man I'm hopeful, because ultimately we still control our destiny for the championship game.
No we don't. We could win out and still not make the championship game.

If iSu, TCU and WV win out...
  • TCU is in as they will only have one conference loss
  • WV is in because theey have the head to head against us
  • iSu finished behind WV
  • OU and OSU will both have three conference losses
  • Texas and KSU will both have at least four losses
Now I find it hard to believe that OU will lose two more times at home but we did beat them there so it is possible that TCU and WV could do the same

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

• iSu finished behind WV
Now I find it hard to believe that OU will lose two more times at home but we did beat them there so it is possible that TCU and WV could do the same

I think someone posted the odds of this scenario happening and it is very low, maybe below 2%?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think someone posted the odds of this scenario happening and it is very low, maybe below 2%?

What were the odds of iSu winning in Norman?

Fact still remains...iSu needs West Virginia to lose and OU to beat TCU.

We should all be big OU fans the next few weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
What were the odds of iSu winning in Norman?

Fact still remains...iSu needs West Virginia to lose and OU to beat TCU.

We should all be big OU fans the next few weeks.

I dont think we need both to lose I believe just one needs to lose...

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Personally I want OU to beat TCU and WVU to beat OU setting up a 4-way tie for 1st with a conference championship game of Riot Bowl 2.0

Reactions: CyInDFW

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I guess I haven't quite adjusted to the Big12 style yet, but not sure damn good defense can be used to describe a team that gave up 62 to OU, 44 to TCU, 39 to WVU and I think 31 or 34 to TTech. Do they have some talent, certainly. Will our O struggle against them? Probably. But if that's a damn good defense than ISU is the 85 Bears.

OSU does have a damn good defense. He is right about that. He is wrong about a lot of other things. OSU didn't get sacks with just their front four. They didn't wear OU down. They had to blitz...A LOT to get pressure on Mayfield and they gave up big plays because of it.

iSu is second in the Big 12 in sacks allowed and have played 3 out of the top four sack leading teams in the Big 12. iSu has allowed 7 sacks or 1.4 per game since Kempt has taken over. The passing game utilizes a lot of short passes so the opportunity for sacks is limited.

Brailford vs Foster is scary to think about though. I imagine iSu will keep Seonbucher in there to help Foster or use Montgomery to chip him.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Edwards had no over the top help and Ruth got beat. OL is what it is. The staff is just trying to find something that works.
That's what I don't get. If you have a struggling o-line, power blocking is the answer. Combo blocks, traps, and pulls are all designed to give you leverage. Just blows my mind we still try this one on one zone block bs.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Maybe it's totally unfounded, but my fear is that since there is now plenty of tape since the Oklahoma game, other teams are starting to "figure out" our offense and how to defend it. Other's pointed out that at times, WVU used "our defense" (3 man front) and forced us to be great at run blocking.

Having said that, I have no special insight.

??? I seem to recall them having 4 or 5 up most of the game.

Don't they play a 4-4 or something similar.

Last edited:

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

• iSu finished behind WV

If ISU wins out, it's 97% chance we're in the CCG. I'd say that's pretty much controlling our own destiny.

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
We win 31-23. Our defense is solid and we will score more points against a below average defense. Book it!
Do you follow Football?

Here is the the most recently available rankings from Football Outsiders as to the efficiency of the the two defenses. Neither defense is even close to being below average.

A1DF64DE-0A06-4C3D-8EEF-37A6EEA4F578.jpeg

Note: I’m not going to explain who Football Outsiders is. If you don’t know, you’re not worth debating with.

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Now we’re having fun.

That's awesome that Rudolph tries to get blitzers to show too early. You guys will want to keep that tactic a secret. Also, stopping the running game?! You guys are really on the cutting edge down there.

I think my favorite part is when this doofus says "Only Texas slowed us down", and then proceeds to describe our exact defensive strategy. Our defense has been much more effective than West Virginia's. I'm not sure why you keep referencing that team. We have little in common.

Rushing Defense rankings, conference games only;

1059C578-3A5E-4591-A47F-30F1DA58AE01.jpeg
Texas had 42 yards rushing in Austin against the Cowboys, but had 141 in Ames against the Cyclones.

WVU had 208 yards rushing in Morgantown against the Cyclones, but only gained 62 yards in Morgantown against the Cowboys.

Texas Tech went for 129 yards rushing against the Cyclones in Lubbock, but only gained 54 yards on the ground at home against the Cowboys.

In conference games only, ISU is dead last in rushing yards per game at 93.2 yards per game.

Given these stats, why do you think OSU will be ineffective in stopping your ground game? Especially if it’s snowing at game time.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Now we’re having fun.

View attachment 51594
Texas had 42 yards rushing in Austin against the Cowboys, but had 141 in Ames against the Cyclones.

WVU had 208 yards rushing in Morgantown against the Cyclones, but only gained 62 yards in Morgantown against the Cowboys.

Texas Tech went for 129 yards rushing against the Cyclones in Lubbock, but only gained 54 yards on the ground at home against the Cowboys.

In conference games only, ISU is dead last in rushing yards per game at 93.2 yards per game.

Given these stats, why do you think OSU will be ineffective in stopping your ground game? Especially if it’s snowing at game time.
If you're trying to convince me that a defense that just gave up 62 points and 785 yards at home is good, you're gonna have to try a lot harder than that.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Now we’re having fun.

View attachment 51594

images