Optimism for Okie State matchup

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am absolutely not optimistic, but man I'm hopeful, because ultimately we still control our destiny for the championship game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am still in a funk from this past weekend. What could have been had we both won...

I have no idea what will happen on Saturday, other than me popping a beer before noon. As others have mentioned, you had us on the ropes last year and have been competitive with us the last few years anyway.

Go Pokes!
Agreed.

Iowa State not sneaking up on anyone anymore. I agree that the defense is fatigued and a barely passable run blocking game is now missing Meeker.

giphy.webp

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It goes without saying but the pass rush will win or lose this game for us. If we can pressure Randolph like we did Mayfield, Hill and Grier (after the first 25 minutes) we will be okay. We give Randolph time, he chews us up and spits us out. I like the 3 man when front when we bring help but just rushing 3 kills us until we get their linemen tired.
Ummm...we didn't really get a lot of pressure on any of those guys. The pressure we did get on Mayfield was because of good coverage and we only had 1 sack and 1 QBH against TCU. 0 sacks and 0 QBHs on Grier.

The three man front works because we flood the zones with bodies and keep things in front. It doesn't work when we let guys get behind us...see West Virginia

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Our secondary has something to prove this game after that first half at WVU. I think one big play on defense and one on offense for us could tilt this thing.

Reactions: khardbored

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They attacked our safeties. Got to get pressure to fix that problem.

O line needs to learn how to combo block. Hate zone blocking.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Agreed.

Iowa State not sneaking up on anyone anymore. I agree that the defense is fatigued and a barely passable run blocking game is now missing Meeker.

giphy.webp
I don't see how the defense is fatigued. They shut WV down in the second half and almost 30% of WV's yards (70% of their scoring) came on two plays in the first half.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
They attacked our safeties. Got to get pressure to fix that problem.

O line needs to learn how to combo block. Hate zone blocking.
Edwards had no over the top help and Ruth got beat. OL is what it is. The staff is just trying to find something that works.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
I don’t know who this “Randolph” is you speak of, but if you bring pressure, we’ll cut you apart. Only Texas slowed us down, and they did it by dropping seven into coverage and counting on he thre DLs and a LB to stop our run game. They had the athletes up front to do it. Others that have tried this (WV) were unsuccessful and we made them pay with the running game. You’ll attempt this and will stay with it until Hill and King begin to gash you.

If you blitz you had better disguise it well. RUDOLPH likes to hard count to get your blitzers to show themselves and will then check out of the play and hit you on a quick route. That’s what happened to WVU.

YOUR defense? WVU has been running a three-man front since their DC showed up three years ago. If anything, you guys are running their defense.

Count on us to run he same defensive scheme we ran against he Mountaineers. We’re going to stuff your run game and make your QB and WRs try to win he game. If you don’t have a deep OL, than look for the same OSU d-line that got five sacks on Mayfield in the second half, to continuously keep substituting fresh DLs to wear your o-line down. We’ve done this to everyone we’ve played this year. You’ll see opposing offenses come in and look relatively effective early in the game, and then we’ll start hurrying your QB, and then a quarter later, we’ll start planting him in he turf. It’s as predictable as the sun rising.

If you’re going to win, you need to get out front early. That’s what TCU and OU did. If we’re ahead at the half, it’s over.

I would venture to say that WVU was playing inspired football last week. They were publicly called out by their coach and the media..etc, etc.

The thing that I think you are going to be wrong in this game is, our staff makes adjustments at half. I haven't seen any staff do it to the degree that our ISU staff has done it (see OU vs OSU game). Your coaches obviously didnt make the correct adjustments. ISU also play OU btw. You can see the adjustments made at half, and we came out and won. Your pokes were dominated in the OU loss, it was probably that amazing defensive line? You guys allowed almost 800 (!!!!!) rushing and passing yards. When you use adjectives like: Dominate, crush, cut, be sure you have the stats to back it up.

Either way you cut it, ISU has inferior talent in about 80% of the games we play. That may change in the coming years, but this year, we are winning due to our coaching and effort. If you win, so what? You'll be scrutinized for almost getting beat by ISU. If we win? LOL we then own the state of Oklahoma.

Anyways, thanks for the sh*tty post, you gave me something to do at work.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
I don’t know who this “Randolph” is you speak of, but if you bring pressure, we’ll cut you apart. Only Texas slowed us down, and they did it by dropping seven into coverage and counting on he thre DLs and a LB to stop our run game. They had the athletes up front to do it. Others that have tried this (WV) were unsuccessful and we made them pay with the running game. You’ll attempt this and will stay with it until Hill and King begin to gash you.

If you blitz you had better disguise it well. RUDOLPH likes to hard count to get your blitzers to show themselves and will then check out of the play and hit you on a quick route. That’s what happened to WVU.

YOUR defense? WVU has been running a three-man front since their DC showed up three years ago. If anything, you guys are running their defense.

Count on us to run he same defensive scheme we ran against he Mountaineers. We’re going to stuff your run game and make your QB and WRs try to win he game. If you don’t have a deep OL, than look for the same OSU d-line that got five sacks on Mayfield in the second half, to continuously keep substituting fresh DLs to wear your o-line down. We’ve done this to everyone we’ve played this year. You’ll see opposing offenses come in and look relatively effective early in the game, and then we’ll start hurrying your QB, and then a quarter later, we’ll start planting him in he turf. It’s as predictable as the sun rising.

If you’re going to win, you need to get out front early. That’s what TCU and OU did. If we’re ahead at the half, it’s over.
Well crap. I guess we shouldn't even show up then. *jimlad*

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
WV hit on two huge plays early on when we had blown coverage. I'm treating those as outliers because they corrected it.

Except they corrected Edwards during the Akron game by sitting him when he let two plays get behind him and then he did it again against WVU.

If the D keeps plays in front of them we have a shot. The DL will have to be a mix of 3 and 4 man fronts to change the pace against them. Any blitzes must be disguised well. No one can show the blitz early like they do so often.

This game, more than any other this season, has to be called and played perfectly to win (IMO). Okie St's defense is better than OU's, and their offense can score with anyone out there. The ISU defense vs big plays and the run game decides this game. Play well in those two areas, get a turnover or two and make them drive the length of the field and we have a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

Ahhh...the old "We just gave up over 800 yards of offense to our only rival so now I'm going to go post some crap on our next opponents board" logic...

Well played dumb@ss

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008

DIpp7i5XUAIfxp1.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

That's awesome that Rudolph tries to get blitzers to show too early. You guys will want to keep that tactic a secret. Also, stopping the running game?! You guys are really on the cutting edge down there.

I think my favorite part is when this doofus says "Only Texas slowed us down", and then proceeds to describe our exact defensive strategy. Our defense has been much more effective than West Virginia's. I'm not sure why you keep referencing that team. We have little in common.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

I doubt we bllitz much. Will most likely drop 7 and like TCU sometimes drop 9. Our DL is better than WV and so is our rush defense but not as good as Texas'. I have no doubt Okie St will get their yards. They have a great offense and Rudolph will find holes. The question will be if those yards equate to points. If Okie State beats us over the top like WV...they score a lot of points. Washington's ankle injury could be a factor. If they don't then it will be punts and FGS which keeps iSu in the game

I hope your defense plays the same game against us as they did WV. Because if Okie State gives up 24 points in the first three quarters, iSu wins this game. But I doubt they do. That would be asinine as WV likes to beat you over the top. Our WRs and QB aren't really going to beat you over the top. We are going to utilize our size advantage at WR in the screen game and across the middle.

I don't see iSu's offense really keeping up but I see the defense holding Okie St in the 30's

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
good luck trying to have a reasonable discussion with Poke. That's hawk level ignorance.

I wonder if that's the same guy who told us they had 3 NFL QB's when guys like Lunt were there.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
iSu has outscored every opponent in the second half except TCU whose only score was a kick return. iSu has outscored its opponents 146-68 in the second half. Halftime adjustments have been phenomenal with this staff.

Perhaps you think Okie State's offense is heads and shoulders better than OU, WV, TCU and TT but...iSu held OU to 7 second half points, WV to 0, TCU to 7(kick return) and TT to 7. The most impressive thing is OU's 7 second half points. I mean OU's offense scored 24 second half points against a defense that you claim is deep and dominant. Think about that...against OU, TCU, WVU and TT, the iSu defense has given up a total of 14 second half points.

Halftime adjustments have been phenomenal with this staff. So if it is relatively close at half...iSu is still in it.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Dude your DL did not have five sacks in the second half. They had two . Bundage had the other two. And the other one...came at the 6:20 mark in the third where Bundage blitzed, forced Mayfiled up in the pocket and your WILL(#16) sacked him. The official scorebook got it wrong.
The only time your DL got sacks were at the 9:20 mark in the 3rd on 2nd and 10 when OU was taking a shot deep and at the 5:30 mark of the 3rd. On that play, OU was running a screen and the RT whiffed on his chip.

Simple fact is Okie State blitzed and blitzed a lot in order to get pressure. Because of that, they also got burned for big plays.

Okie State has a good defense and a great DL but using the second half of the OU game as an example is asinine and really shows an elementary understanding of the game.

I really like Brailford and do not like that matchup as he will go against Foster in his third start ever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron