Hilton's Floor Shaking

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
My first game was in 2011 so take it FWIW. "Threesus Saves" against OSU was definitely the loudest one-off moment in my time there, but the roar when MG missed his second free throw and when Hogue had the transition dunk in the OU comeback rank right up there.

The consistent level of noise during the second half of the OU game still blows my mind to this day. Coincidentally, that happened to be my last game as a student in Hilton, so it just felt extra special.

A couple honorable mentions that don't even come close but hold a special place for me as I was a freshman experiencing Hilton Magic for the first time: the Babb dagger against KU that finally signified that we were back, and the Scotty "Thug Lyfe" Christopherson three pointer that put us ahead of Baylor for good (if I remember right, making it 62-59) on senior night.

Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is anything during a :30 TO is on the fly, reactionary mostly to who called the timeout. You can't say ahead of time that we will do X at the first :30 and Y at the second :30, because you don't know who is going to call those timeouts or when (or why).
Truth, I (Music guy/Marketing intern) would have the game director (Up by the TV cameras) in my ear on the headset and I would be speaking to Gary on my left, I would decide on a "Hot Timeout" song out of about 3/4 we had cued up on the software and then when the hot TO came we just hit the music as soon as play was stopped.
If you still have connections to the current Czar this winter, I'm begging you man...

Get them to quit with the "Cyclone Aerobics" over top of the "Cyclone" "Power"!!!

Pretty please? :)

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cycsk

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My first game was in 2011 so take it FWIW. "Threesus Saves" against OSU was definitely the loudest one-off moment in my time there.

I remember people coming on here that were at Stephens Auditorium saying they heard the roar. Everyone started checking their phones immediately.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ComCY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Thank you!! I was the "Hilton Czar" for the 2015 OU game and about 10 others that year, and I cut up a couple of the "Hot Timeout" songs myself for maximum crowd friendliness.

Wait. You were the Hilton Czar? And you are claiming to have made adjustments for fan-friendliness. Way to ruin my rant!

Seriously, I would love to hear more about how much discretion you have at moments like that. You sound like you are "in touch" with the game and make appropriate adjustments. So often, it seems that some of your colleagues aren't. It seems like some of them are just slaves to the script. However, I recognize that I just get cranky sometimes and don't really understand all that is involved. Any more insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Humanizing the Hilton Czar! CF is indeed a place of miracles.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
And personally, I would go with the Lafester game. That was completely bonkers the whole night.

The game was on Saturday night and we had to leave the dorms by noon for winter break. With nowhere to go, got to the game an hour before it started--the place was already rocking. Had center court 5th row seats(thanks seating lottery!). All I specifically remember is that we could not hear the public address announcer during player introductions it was so loud. Stood the whole game, except for timeouts(maybe), which was a pain as I had sprained my knee the night before playing basketball in State gym, Jesse Jackson shook Lafester's hand right in front of us after the game. Then spent 4 hours driving home to Iowa City during a major snow storm. Good times!

Reactions: NWICY and Cypwr

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
My old man was at the Lafester game and will go on and on about it to this day. Said the same as others have said... They stood the entire game. Everybody. From start to finish. Even in the nose bleeds (his seats were in the top row). They were on their feet and going crazy the whole game.

He talks about Lafester launching a three and you could hear the entire crowd groan "noooo" then explode into hysterics when he drilled it.

Reactions: Cypwr

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree with this. I was in the 6th row behind the basket closest to the home bench. Jeff Grayer could not hear his name announced over the PA during introductions. Then things got crazy. Lafester just went off.

So many great games and so may great memories. The Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma games are always great. I was at the cap gun game someone mentioned earlier when I was a kid. Similarly, I was at a game as a kid when Scott Skiles from Michigan St. came to Hilton. He had just been busted for drugs. The student section yelled Jailbird the entire game every time he touch the ball.

The Magic is real!

I've never seen the crowd ride someone as hard as Pierre Pierce. That.Was.Rough.

Reactions: NWICY and bozclone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've never seen the crowd ride someone as hard as Pierre Pierce. That.Was.Rough.
They weren't very nice to Mitch McGary either, but that was tame compared to Pierce. Best jab at an opponent EVER though, was the coordinated Cyclone Alley flop when they introduced Marcus Smart at that last game. :D

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They weren't very nice to Mitch McGary either, but that was tame compared to Pierce. Best jab at an opponent EVER though, was the coordinated Cyclone Alley flop when they introduced Marcus Smart at that last game. :D
When McGary and Ejim both got off the bench and checked in at the same time (neither of which were healthy at all), it was HERE.WE.GO!

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
Wait. You were the Hilton Czar? And you are claiming to have made adjustments for fan-friendliness. Way to ruin my rant!

Seriously, I would love to hear more about how much discretion you have at moments like that. You sound like you are "in touch" with the game and make appropriate adjustments. So often, it seems that some of your colleagues aren't. It seems like some of them are just slaves to the script. However, I recognize that I just get cranky sometimes and don't really understand all that is involved. Any more insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Humanizing the Hilton Czar! CF is indeed a place of miracles.
Script is god, but for non-media timeouts we had some discretion between the game director and whoever is the "Czar" that day over what will be played and when, also have to keep the band happy and get all of the promos in.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Some love for the Big 12 Back to back Championship seasons:

-Fizer's dunk over Mihm in 2000 was BOSS. Hilton erupted.

-2001 #7 ISU wins over #6 KU - The "Chen-A-Worthless" chant. (So loud and effective the ENTIRE game. Students/Hilton took him completely out of the game. He cried about it afterwards in a post game interview like a *****.)

Not a lot of buzzer-beaters for those squads because they destroyed everyone at home.

Reactions: cyfamily

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

If chanting "rapist" is wrong I don't want to be right. ;)
If I remember right that might have been Adam Haluska's year to come back. I remember the chant of "you can keep him" ringing through Hilton.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This thread has been AWESOME. It's amazing how many different years have gotten to see special moments/games at Hilton. Thanks to @HogueNation for starting it.

Reactions: HogueNation

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This is probably the best example of the Naz 3. Without the commentary and muting of the crowd. Still doesn't come even close to the real thing, but still gives me goosebumps.

My favorite part of that clip is Doc Sadler just chilling on the bench... all lounged back in his brown suit. He's like "meh" this **** happens all the time. Naz nails the shot and he just stands up and walks over to the huddle.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyfamily

Help Support Us

Become a patron