Race Thompson

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I thought coach K made like $9 million/yr, which is more than almost all NBA coaches made.
Yeah, he makes nearly $4 million more than the next closest college basketball coach. And something like 2.5 mil more than Nick Saban. Just stupid money. That was in 2015, though, so might have changed but not sure by how much, if at all.

Edit: Just looked. Jim Harbaugh is the only college athletic coach over 9 million. Coach K is down to 7.3. But in 2 recent years, because of success in the tourney, Coach K made over 9 million.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Has anyone in the Minneapolis area seen Race's brother True play football? Freshman wide reciever at SWCC. 6'5"...190lbs with a 40" verticle. See only the Gophers recruiting him out of high school. Anyone know why he didn't recieve any more interest and went juco?

• Funny
Reactions: AngusClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Has anyone in the Minneapolis area seen Race's brother True play football? Freshman wide reciever at SWCC. 6'5"...190lbs with a 40" verticle. See only the Gophers recruiting him out of high school. Anyone know why he didn't recieve any more interest and went juco?
So he was a True Freshman? Bah dum bum.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Race had 33 in a loss last evening. His teams pg went down 20 seconds into the game.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
As someone who grew up a mile from Race's HS I can say gopher basketball is not followed with any passion up there. There is literally zero comparison between the Barn and Hilton coliseum beyond they are both gyms. how Minnesota gets recruits is beyond me.

I think I've seen more gopher apparel here than I ever did living in Minnesota.

Uh, no. Lots of success in Gopher basketball, particularly in the Barn. They're THE primary collegiate athletic department in the state--hence, some pretty exclusive recruiting environments.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Uh, no. Lots of success in Gopher basketball, particularly in the Barn. They're THE primary collegiate athletic department in the state--hence, some pretty exclusive recruiting environments.

U of M NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1972*, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1994*, 1995*, 1997*, 1999*, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2013

Wouldn't Race rather play for a team (like the Cyclones) which are perennial contenders...in a top flight league...and not in Wacko?

Oct 18, 2016
Has anyone in the Minneapolis area seen Race's brother True play football? Freshman wide reciever at SWCC. 6'5"...190lbs with a 40" verticle. See only the Gophers recruiting him out of high school. Anyone know why he didn't recieve any more interest and went juco?[/QUOT

True is juco due to grades. Didn't hit the books until it was too late.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Listening to the Scoop podcast with Doogie Wolfsen, a Minneapolis reporter. He noted that Indiana has really come on in Race's recruitment and a real threat for his commitment. Michigan has also been contacting him a lot and they are expected to offer soon. ISU is still prioritizing Race and very much in contention. U of M realizes the completion and has started looking at other posts though they are still recruiting him. They are preparing that he has a good chance of leaving Minnesota.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Listening to the Scoop podcast with Doogie Wolfsen, a Minneapolis reporter. He noted that Indiana has really come on in Race's recruitment and a real threat for his commitment. Michigan has also been contacting him a lot and they are expected to offer soon. ISU is still prioritizing Race and very much in contention. U of M realizes the completion and has started looking at other posts though they are still recruiting him. They are preparing that he has a good chance of leaving Minnesota.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as a backup plan for Race. If we miss on Race, I would like a SF playmaker.

Of course, our needs will be influenced by how good our 4 new FR are this year.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I have a (strong) connection to the Thompson family as my wife and Mrs Thompson are very close friends. At some point I can get a direct update on our standing - but I'm only going to play that card once, so I'll probably wait until nearer a decision.

Fair enough. Has anyone hinted as to 'when' he might like to make a decision? Interesting if he'll be a fall decision or he waits to see what kind of season each program has this next season and the players returning first.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Fair enough. Has anyone hinted as to 'when' he might like to make a decision? Interesting if he'll be a fall decision or he waits to see what kind of season each program has this next season and the players returning first.

I would guess it will be a fall decision. But I'm skeptical that we land him. He would be a huge get.

• Informative
Reactions: Ajg515

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Race seems like a smart kid who would place a lot of value on a good relationship with his college coach. Hopefully Prohm gives him the Lindell treatment and puts on the full court press this summer/early fall and that seals the deal. If Prohm lands Race and a 75-150 rated PG/SG (AJ Green, TJ Moss, Jordan Lathon, Kyler Edwards) that would be a great 2 years of recruiting and really the best back to back classes ISU basketball has ever seen. Lindell, Terrence, and Race would be a hell of a core for the next few years.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I love early decisions by your primary targets because you can live to fight another day if you come up short
Let's hope we can use it for the other possible use, to hold him up as a part of your class your other potential recruits would want to play with. SG's will love his passing out of the block/high post, he can move out and play along side another big, etc.

Reactions: MartinCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron