Cannabis for Dog Seizures

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
Has anyone on here ever had a dog that had very bad seizures, and if so, how did you treat it?

Recently a good friend of mine has been faced with this dilemma and it's getting to the point now where he may just have to put her down. It's always sad no matter the age, but this is an otherwise healthy dog and only 3 years old. They've treated it with a half dozen different pills over the course of the last year and nothing has helped. It's progressing pretty quickly and the vets office says they have no idea what's causing them. They've done scans for a deeper look with no luck. They are currently paying $154 a month for pills and as you can imagine, have a reached a point where the obvious thing to do is to put her down.

We've all heard that cannabis is very helpful for those who suffer from seizures in humans. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to treat it in their dog. If so, did you treat with cbd or pure cannabis oil? Topical or edible? Was there a way to figure out proper dosage? I know edibles are hard as hell to detect for potency.

Is this animal cruelty? IMO not any worse then having to watch her convulse on her back 7 times in two days. He simply wants to try all options before making the decision. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We had a beagle pup who had seizures really bad, and nothing that the vet gave us would help. She eventually went into a seizure where she couldn't come out without heavy, heavy doses of medication, so we had to put her down. The vet at the time said it was too bad that medicinal marijuana wasn't available as it might have helped.

That situation just tears out your heart. I'm sorry to hear about someone else dealing with that!

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
To add to that, if I had known about the medical marijuana thing at the time, I would have tried to find a state where that treatment was available for animals, and access it through a vet there.

He has access to it here. In the form of homemade butter, as well as liquid form but the liquid way of making it takes about 2-3 weeks and honestly, he doesn't know that he has that long before having to make the decision. I'm assuming feeding it straight bud wouldn't have the same effect but honestly I have no idea. I just know he's out of options.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
We've had our dog on Phenolbarbitol(sp) now for about three years. It worked really well in the beginning, but the seizures have started back up again.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He has access to it here. In the form of homemade butter, as well as liquid form but the liquid way of making it takes about 2-3 weeks and honestly, he doesn't know that he has that long before having to make the decision. I'm assuming feeding it straight bud wouldn't have the same effect but honestly I have no idea. I just know he's out of options.

I'd suggest that he consult a vet.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We had a 12 year old lab/golden mix who started having seizures and we discovered he had a brain tumor. We got another six months of quality life for him from ISU Vet Med. I think prednisone to reduce swellling and I think phenobarbital was the anti-seizure med.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Timely post for me. Our dog had a grand mal seizure last week, his first that we are aware of (he's a rescue). Living in Colorado, we have access to several products made from MJ that could help him. My brother-in-law suffers from seizures and he is able to control to some degree with CBD. Plus, we have some CBD biscuits made for anxiety in dogs. We have used these in the past for a dog that had storm anxiety and they worked well. All of this being said, we haven't yet decided on a treatment plan for the dog. We have discussed using the biscuits until they're gone (we can't get them any longer in CO) and then switching to an oil that we can put on his food.

tl;dr - I know what they're going through but can't help yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron