Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Friday night, I figured it was about time for me to at least throw up my full review on it (slightly spoilery). Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and was super entertained all throughout. What I liked most about it was the character development and heart that James Gunn puts into these movies, almost to the point that you almost find yourself liking the characters even more than the movies, and that is no slight to the movies. Rocket is maybe now my second favorite MCU character next to Captain America. Along those same lines, this movie even succeeded in turning a couple characters I didn't necessarily care for in the original, Nebula and Yondu, into characters I really like now, particularly Yondu. In fact, Yondu's story arc was one of the best things about this entire movie. Other things I liked in this movie was tons of fun jokes (probably even funnier than first one), a solid story line, and an improved villain from the first movie (Ego). How they successfully pulled off Ego the Living Planet in an MCU movie without making it just outright ridiculous and stupid is beyond me, but Gunn did it. Rounding things up, I've got the gist that these James Gunn Guardians movies are always going to be strongest on heart and comedy.

However, that doesn't mean this movie didn't have its flaws either. For what James Gunn does really well, he sometimes does go a bit too James Gunny on things, sometimes to the point where he pushes the limits on these things realistically happening in the relatively grounded world that is the MCU. It helps his cause that this takes place in outer space, which gives him a lot more freedom, but still, you don't want to go too crazy. A few examples were that I thought the opening scene went a bit too campy, Drax bouncing off the trees like a ping pong ball with no consequences (What strengths/weaknesses does Drax even have??), Rocket catapulting oodles of Ravengers in the air multiple times with nobody dying, and the ability for ships to almost teleport through multiple wormholes to get to different places in the universe. I mean, where did that come from? If that is a true reality of space travel, why did Thanos even need the tessaract to send his army to earth?? Why need the Bifrost??? Lastly, I just didn't care for the character of Ayesha or how her entire race was portrayed. Anyway, those things just kind of bugged me throughout the movie. On to a few other weaknesses of the movie, I thought the plot was good overall, but not amazing. I thought the music was a big letdown as compared to the first movie. I thought the comedy went a little too hard and too long at some points to the point where things felt a bit campy. Drax was hilarious in this movie, but somethings Gunn went a little too heavy on Drax.

Anyway, that is a decent summary of what I liked and didn't like about the movie. Overall, I found the movie to be a very solid MCU entry, but had enough downfalls to keep it from entering that top tier of MCU movies unfortunately. At least I found it better than Dr. Strange, but probably not as good as its predecessor. If anything, I found the movie overall a bit more flash and fun than substance. However, I will say that the more I think about this movie, the more I've come to like it. Anyway, feel free to give me your thoughts or critique mine. I'll soon post my new updated MCU rankings to include it.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure where else to put this, and didn't want to start another Comicbook movie thread, but the creator of Hellboy posted yesterday that the franchise is getting a cinematic, r-rated, reboot and neither Guillermo Del Toro or Ron Perlman will be involved. The tentative title is Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and will be directed by Neil Marshall (directed the movie "The Descent" and the Game of Thrones episode "Blackwater"). David Harbour, who played Sheriff Hopper in the Netflix series Stranger Things is apparently in talks to star as Hellboy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ks-stranger-things-star-david-harbour-1001462

I really enjoyed the first two Hellboy movies. Ron Perlman was perfectly cast for that role and the movies were really enjoyable - nothing great, but entertaining. I don't know if I would pay to see this remake in the theaters. I probably would be more inclined to see another Hellboy if Ron Perlman and Del Toro returned to conclude their trilogy.

Reactions: Triggermv

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Not sure why Hellboy needed a reboot and R. It was great the way it was. I realize Perlman cant go forever so they need a new actor, but why push the R? Is it necessary?

Sounds like someone just wants to show T & A and over the top blood/gore and language. Meh

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Friday night, I figured it was about time for me to at least throw up my full review on it (slightly spoilery). Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and was super entertained all throughout. What I liked most about it was the character development and heart that James Gunn puts into these movies, almost to the point that you almost find yourself liking the characters even more than the movies, and that is no slight to the movies. Rocket is maybe now my second favorite MCU character next to Captain America. Along those same lines, this movie even succeeded in turning a couple characters I didn't necessarily care for in the original, Nebula and Yondu, into characters I really like now, particularly Yondu. In fact, Yondu's story arc was one of the best things about this entire movie. Other things I liked in this movie was tons of fun jokes (probably even funnier than first one), a solid story line, and an improved villain from the first movie (Ego). How they successfully pulled off Ego the Living Planet in an MCU movie without making it just outright ridiculous and stupid is beyond me, but Gunn did it. Rounding things up, I've got the gist that these James Gunn Guardians movies are always going to be strongest on heart and comedy.

However, that doesn't mean this movie didn't have its flaws either. For what James Gunn does really well, he sometimes does go a bit too James Gunny on things, sometimes to the point where he pushes the limits on these things realistically happening in the relatively grounded world that is the MCU. It helps his cause that this takes place in outer space, which gives him a lot more freedom, but still, you don't want to go too crazy. A few examples were that I thought the opening scene went a bit too campy, Drax bouncing off the trees like a ping pong ball with no consequences (What strengths/weaknesses does Drax even have??), Rocket catapulting oodles of Ravengers in the air multiple times with nobody dying, and the ability for ships to almost teleport through multiple wormholes to get to different places in the universe. I mean, where did that come from? If that is a true reality of space travel, why did Thanos even need the tessaract to send his army to earth?? Why need the Bifrost??? Anyway, those things just kind of bugged me throughout the movie. On to a few other weaknesses of the movie, I thought the plot was good overall, but not amazing. I thought the music was a big letdown as compared to the first movie. I thought the comedy went a little too hard and too long at some points to the point where things felt a bit campy. Drax was hilarious in this movie, but somethings Gunn went a little too heavy on Drax.

Anyway, that is a decent summary of what I liked and didn't like about the movie. Overall, I found the movie to be a very solid MCU entry, but had enough downfalls to keep it from entering that top tier of MCU movies unfortunately. At least I found it better than Dr. Strange, but probably not as good as its predecessor. If anything, I found the movie overall a bit more flash and fun than substance. However, I will say that the more I think about this movie, the more I've come to like it. Anyway, feel free to give me your thoughts or critique mine. I'll soon post my new updated MCU rankings to include it.
Rocket might be my favorite MCU character. Great summary and I agree with most of it. It was a great "filler" movie with a bunch of characters I really like.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not sure why Hellboy needed a reboot and R. It was great the way it was. I realize Perlman cant go forever so they need a new actor, but why push the R? Is it necessary?

Sounds like someone just wants to show T & A and over the top blood/gore and language. Meh

I'm in kind of wait and see mode with the whole Hellboy thing. For the last few months, I've been in the mode of hoping that a Hellboy 3 would get made with the original team, and was disappointed when that fell through. With that said, I'm still trying to process whether I'll like this new option or not. I guess if anything, I like that we are at least getting something. Not sure how crazy I am about an "R" rating on the thing, but I can see how the source material could go either way with that. Personally, I probably prefer a PG-13 version.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Well, now that I've posted my GOTG Vol. 2 Review, I've now updated my MCU rankings to include it. With that said, I also tossed Iron Fist in here too since I had yet to add it as well.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  3. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun and one of the funniest movies on the list. Also produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest downfall was having a very good, but not great story line, which kept it from topping my list.
  4. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far.
  6. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Jon Bernthal's Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series only improved all the characters within it from Season 1, but I'm still so-so on all the Electra stuff. Still needs a few more crossovers, but had a few.
  7. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level more-adult-themed tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to un-cuff all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  8. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over when I once was really skeptical of him.
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit too campy. Characters were probably more fun than story.
  11. Marvel's Jessica Jones - Series filled with great actors, great drama, good diversity to what we are used to, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having probably 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  12. Doctor Strange - This was a fairly Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem for me is that it was probably just a bit too out there on the magic side to fully be my cup of tea, which is okay. I still enjoyed it.
  13. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I actually really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I didn’t think Whiplash was that bad. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  14. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  15. Iron Man 3 – Don’t know what it is, but I just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist towards the end. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  16. Thor – Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  17. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1: Loved the music angle, loved Cottonmouth as the villain, loved the first 4 episodes. However, this was another Netflix series that really lost its way somewhere in the middle, and I really didn't care for any of the Diamondback stuff. Still enjoyed it, but definitely the worst Netflix series yet.
  18. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  19. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her. This is definitely the best AOS season so far
  20. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show.
  21. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never was into Norton for the role or the look they gave theHulk, so I was super glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  22. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  23. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times where I really did not like what they were doing. Overall, the series is getting a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor. Still fun at times though.
  24. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor, stand-alone story which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  25. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, terrible boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. At least the back half of the season was much better than the front half.

Last edited:
Reactions: State43

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Well, now that I've posted my GOTG Vol. 2 Review, I've now updated my MCU rankings to include it. With that said, I also tossed Iron Fist in here too since I had yet to add it as well.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  3. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun and one of the funniest movies on the list. Also produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest downfall was having a very good, but not great story line, which kept it from topping my list.
  4. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far.
  6. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Jon Bernthal's Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series only improved all the characters within it from Season 1, but I'm still so-so on all the Electra stuff. Still needs a few more crossovers, but had a few.
  7. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level more-adult-themed tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to un-cuff all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  8. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over when I once was really skeptical of him.
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit too campy. Characters were probably more fun than story.
  11. Marvel's Jessica Jones - Series filled with great actors, great drama, good diversity to what we are used to, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having probably 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  12. Doctor Strange - This was a fairly Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem for me is that it was probably just a bit too out there on the magic side to fully be my cup of tea, which is okay. I still enjoyed it.
  13. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I actually really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I didn’t think Whiplash was that bad. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  14. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  15. Iron Man 3 – Don’t know what it is, but I just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist towards the end. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  16. Thor – Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  17. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1: Loved the music angle, loved Cottonmouth as the villain, loved the first 4 episodes. However, this was another Netflix series that really lost its way somewhere in the middle, and I really didn't care for any of the Diamondback stuff. Still enjoyed it, but definitely the worst Netflix series yet.
  18. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  19. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her. This is definitely the best AOS season so far
  20. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show.
  21. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never was into Norton for the role or the look they gave theHulk, so I was super glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  22. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  23. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times where I really did not like what they were doing. Overall, the series is getting a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor. Still fun at times though.
  24. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor, stand-alone story which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  25. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, terrible boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. At least the back half of the season was much better than the front half.

For comparison sake, I always like to also throw up the Rotten Tomatoes scores to see how my own rankings shake out. I notice I'm not too far off from them on GOTG vol 2.

1. Marvel's The Avengers: 8.0/10 (92% liked)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.8/10 (91% liked)
3. Iron Man: 7.7/10 (94% liked)
4. Captain America: Civil War: 7.6 (90% liked)
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 7.5/10 (89% liked)
6. Doctor Strange: 7.3/10 (90% liked)
7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: 7.1/10 (82% liked)
8. Iron Man 3: 7.0/10 (79% liked)
9. Captain America: The First Avenger: 6.9/10 (80% liked)
10. Ant-Man: 6.8/10 (80% liked)
11. Thor: 6.7/10 (77% liked)
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron: 6.7/10 (75% liked)
13. Iron Man 2: 6.5/10 (72% liked)
14. Thor: The Dark World: 6.2/10 (67% liked)
15. The Incredible Hulk: 6.2/10 (67% liked)​

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Seeing your list made me think...man, no one talks about The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton, Jr, do they? It's like that movie doesn't even exist.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I thought that movie was decent until the abomination arc

If they would have cast someone other than Tim Roth as the villain I think it would have been better received. Tim Roth isn't really that well known and I think if they would have had a more recognizable actor to play-off Edward Norton then it may have scored better reviews. The writing for that movie was actually pretty good, there were even scenes where Edward Norton was actually funny. I don't think Tim Roth was terrible in the role, it was just a really odd casting choice - I'd argue his casting was a bigger miss than Ed Norton as Bruce Banner.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Ed Norton would have stayed on as the Hulk if he didn't have such a big falling out with the creators of the movie due to creative direction. That is why he didn't really even promote the movie when it came out.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Caught GOTG2 last night. As a kid my favorite comics were always Silver Surfer and the Infinity Gauntlet/War series. I never thought I'd get to see characters like Kree, Scrull, Ego and The Watchers in a big budget movie especially when Surfer/Galactus aren't available...it's pretty hard for me to be objective about these movies compared to other MCU movies.

I'd say this is almost as good as the original. Had they slightly edited a few scenes tighter I'd have said it was a draw with the original. Agree with another that while the music was great it still wasn't as great as the original. With Bowie having about 17 space songs I need one in jusut about every GOTG movie ;-)

I have to admit I was worried if Ego would be done justice...but Marvel really treats their old school comic fans. You'd think they do this in spite of new movies only fans, but I think it's actually key to those new fans liking the content, thousands of comics were the ultimate focus group for them. The Watchers and Warlock blew my mind and were completely unexpected, I even wonder if somehow Ego will be back for the Infinity battle of celestial beings.

Good news is Thor Ragnorok looks like it fits right into the whole Surfer/Inifiity comicbook world of my childhood too.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If they would have cast someone other than Tim Roth as the villain I think it would have been better received. Tim Roth isn't really that well known and I think if they would have had a more recognizable actor to play-off Edward Norton then it may have scored better reviews. The writing for that movie was actually pretty good, there were even scenes where Edward Norton was actually funny. I don't think Tim Roth was terrible in the role, it was just a really odd casting choice - I'd argue his casting was a bigger miss than Ed Norton as Bruce Banner.

Interesting. I actually thought Tim Roth and the actor for Thunderbolt Ross were the two best parts of that movie. From the get-go, I hated the casting of Edward Norton as The Hulk. Not that he is a bad actor, but he just never fit the part for me. I'd even say that casting decision is probably the biggest reason I have that movie ranked so low. In the end though, I'm glad they've kept the movie in canon because I find it still to be a solid movie overall that still adds value to the overall MCU. I'm also REALLY glad they changed the look of the Hulk later as well to finally actually look similar to the actor, because that would only make sense. Shoot, the Hulk in The Incredible Hulk looked absolutely NOTHING like Edward Norton, which is just stupid.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Ed Norton would have stayed on as the Hulk if he didn't have such a big falling out with the creators of the movie due to creative direction. That is why he didn't really even promote the movie when it came out.

He also was never really on board with this whole shared universe concept either where he'd have to come back regularly to appear as the same character. To him, the character was always more of a one-off that would then allow him to still focus on other projects. Again, in the end, that is just another way that Edward Norton was not a good fit for the role.

• Informative
Reactions: State43

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Caught GOTG2 last night. As a kid my favorite comics were always Silver Surfer and the Infinity Gauntlet/War series. I never thought I'd get to see characters like Kree, Scrull, Ego and The Watchers in a big budget movie especially when Surfer/Galactus aren't available...it's pretty hard for me to be objective about these movies compared to other MCU movies.

I'd say this is almost as good as the original. Had they slightly edited a few scenes tighter I'd have said it was a draw with the original. Agree with another that while the music was great it still wasn't as great as the original. With Bowie having about 17 space songs I need one in jusut about every GOTG movie ;-)

I have to admit I was worried if Ego would be done justice...but Marvel really treats their old school comic fans. You'd think they do this in spite of new movies only fans, but I think it's actually key to those new fans liking the content, thousands of comics were the ultimate focus group for them. The Watchers and Warlock blew my mind and were completely unexpected, I even wonder if somehow Ego will be back for the Infinity battle of celestial beings.

Good news is Thor Ragnorok looks like it fits right into the whole Surfer/Inifiity comicbook world of my childhood too.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that we'd have a Marvel cinematic universe that is nearly as big and expansive as the comics to the point where we are seeing characters like The Watchers, Ego the Living Planet, Cloak and Dagger, The Runaways, not to mention many other of the obscurest of the obscurest characters? AND, they make many of these weird ones fit and believable at that. Sometimes its required a few tweaks, but that is ok.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

One other thing. My guess is you'll end up really happy moving forward as I've done lots of reading into all the articles of Feige talking recently about how everything is going to change drastically after Phase 3 is done, and how what we see won't probably even be labeled as "phase 4" because it will be so different. So, while he has still been pretty vague on it, what he has hinted at a few times is how things will probably shift to more of the cosmic level, with James Gunn pretty much as Feige's creative partner in it moving forward. Therefore, for all you Marvel cosmic fans out there, you may get a lot of what you've been wishing for. I doubt they completely abandon the earth-based stuff though too. I do love how Disney essentially has two really good cosmic universes at their disposal and they are both fairly distinguishable from one another.

I'm also crossing my fingers that this cosmic shift might also entail Marvel getting the rights back and bringing The Fantastic 4 back into the fold.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
He also was never really on board with this whole shared universe concept either where he'd have to come back regularly to appear as the same character. To him, the character was always more of a one-off that would then allow him to still focus on other projects. Again, in the end, that is just another way that Edward Norton was not a good fit for the role.

I unfairly typecast Norton as a sleezeball and have a hard time seeing him as someone I want to root for. Even though I enjoyed him in Fight Club, I have a hard time not picturing him as the dickhead from The Italian Job or the racist from American History X.

I like Mark Ruffalo a lot as the Hulk. Mild-mannered and smart, yet knows he is operating on a hair-trigger. His limited backstory in The Avengers along with his dialogue was really well done.