DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I know this is really late, but now that I finally got my new TV where I could actually watch my 4K Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition disc. In the 4K blu ray combo package I bought, the normal blu ray is the regular edition and the 4K disc is the Ultimate Edition (kind of funny since the Suicide Squad was the opposite). Anyway, for those interested, here are my quick thoughts. Ultimately, there is no question that The Ultimate Edition is the best version of the movie, the best way to watch the movie, and the way Zack Snyder intended for you to watch the movie. What it does do is fix most all the terrible editing and plot holes that made the original version leaving everyone scratching their head on. Therefore, everything at least finally makes sense and you at least understand a lot more of the motivations behind each character. Also, you get a lot more Clark Kent and Lois Lane, which were both lacking in the original. Believe it or not, you actually get more Lex Luthor too to a point where it does make you actually appreciate his character more, who I originally hated. Therefore, what you do get is a more cohesive movie. However, on the flip side, if you just didn't like the original edition, I'm not sure The Ultimate Edition is going to change your mind at all as it still doesn't change the overall plot of the movie. Most all the major flaws of the movie are still there and for those who don't like the tone, that doesn't change. I guess probably the biggest thing that would actually help the cause for the naysayers is simply that you do finally somewhat understand more of the motive for the fighting, rather than two dudes pretty much forced by the directors to fight for pretty much no reason. With all this said, there is no doubt I wish this was the version that was released in theaters and from here on out, this is the only version I'll look back to watch again. Also, this is the version that I'll use in all my rankings, even though it didn't really change them at all.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So I watched Suicide Squad for the first time since the theatre and its worse than I remembered. The movie is so terrible
I watched it for the first time, this weekend. It was such a mess. Just convoluted and dumb. Half of the characters served next to no purpose at all. I had heard all of the bad press and stayed away, but was in the mood for something fun, which I had hoped it would be. It wasn't. Just a bad, bad film.

• Agree
Reactions: State43 and bos

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So I watched Suicide Squad for the first time since the theatre and its worse than I remembered. The movie is so terrible

I just watched it for the first time as well. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I had heard all the terrible reviews and I thought it would be just awful. I ended up enjoying it.

I guess maybe since I don't have a huge emotional attachment to any of the characters, that I'm ok with them messing with their stories to make the movie.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I just watched it for the first time as well. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I had heard all the terrible reviews and I thought it would be just awful. I ended up enjoying it.

I guess maybe since I don't have a huge emotional attachment to any of the characters, that I'm ok with them messing with their stories to make the movie.

The only characters I really knew about going in were Harley Quinn and Killer Croc, to some degree. (other than Batman and the Joker obviously) Deadshot obviously got the most detail on his backstory, with Quinn coming in second, but most of the other folks barely got a cursory nod. Hard to care what happens to them. Like when the Diablo guy sacrifices himself. It has almost zero impact on the viewer because we barely know him as a character, beyond a 30 second snippet of backstory. It was just bad storytelling.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The only characters I really knew about going in were Harley Quinn and Killer Croc, to some degree. (other than Batman and the Joker obviously) Deadshot obviously got the most detail on his backstory, with Quinn coming in second, but most of the other folks barely got a cursory nod. Hard to care what happens to them. Like when the Diablo guy sacrifices himself. It has almost zero impact on the viewer because we barely know him as a character, beyond a 30 second snippet of backstory. It was just bad storytelling.

Yeah. I can admit that there was some laziness there. I always like to know more about the characters. It was also pretty lame that they just listed every character off in the beginning of the story with their File Information.

Dumbest part for me was Slipknot, whose only purpose was to get his head blown up.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
But overall I thought the movie was interesting and fun. Plus Margot Robbie is a doll, so that helped.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Biggest Suicide Squad Issues:

1. One of the worst editing jobs I've ever seen
2. Don't learn to care about characters
3. All flash, no substance
4. Terrible Villain
5. Another blue destructive beam of light in the sky thing
6. Motivations for everyone don't really make sense
7. Using a "team of Metahumans" that aren't even made up many Metahumans to battle a villain wwaaaayyyy above the kick and punch level of fighting is just stupid
8. Where is the Joker that was advertised to us?

Those are just the few that rolled off my head. Granted, there were a few good things to come out of the movie, particularly with certain characters, but overall, the movie was all flash with no substance.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

4. Terrible Villain
7. Using a "team of Metahumans" that aren't even made up many Metahumans to battle a villain wwaaaayyyy above the kick and punch level of fighting is just stupid

Those are just the few that rolled off my head. Granted, there were a few good things to come out of the movie, particularly with certain characters, but overall, the movie was all flash with no substance.

Yep. I went into it not expecting anything and got some entertainment out of it. But that's about it.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah. I can admit that there was some laziness there. I always like to know more about the characters. It was also pretty lame that they just listed every character off in the beginning of the story with their File Information.

Dumbest part for me was Slipknot, whose only purpose was to get his head blown up.

Yep. How long was Slipknot even in the movie? Long enough to die

4. Terrible Villain

I'll throw in another for your list.

The character of Amanda Waller was entirely derivative. She was obviously a Nick Fury knockoff. Now, I don't know if that's how her character is written in the comics, so it might not necessarily be the film's fault, but for your casual moviegoer, it was pretty evident that she was the "Nick Fury type" It really felt formulaic and lazy.

I will also echo your comment about the main villain. I kept expecting there to be more to it than that. The villain didn't fit the movie, in my opinion, and we really didn't get much explanation as to why the enchantress was even putting her plan into action other than "Humans used to worship me. They don't anymore. I'm going to make them."

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

That is the thing, I didn't know anything about the Suicide squad. I vaguely knew of Harley Quinn and obviously knew the Joker but that was it. I was a clean slate so character representations compared to source material played 0 into it.

Diablo's character was probably the worst. His story of killing his family should have been done in a way that left you truely broken for him but I remember feeling absolutely nothing. In fact, I felt nothing for almost every character because everything was so over the top. Will Smith's Deadshot was the only one I liked and felt remotely invested in.

Lol. I think the silliest thing is if you are putting together a task force to fight metahumans, why the **** would a guy who climbs things, a thief with a boomerang & no other powers and a petite girl with a baseball bat and no powers be included? And why the sword girl? Oh her sword traps the soul of her victims opposed to just killing them like normal swords. It still doesn't stop bullets so who gives a ****... The only ones that made any sense was Flag as the commanding officer, Deadshot, Killer Croc and Diablo.

4. Terrible Villain

And the over the top dialogue and bad acting.
I did enjoy Will Smith and the prison guard from the Mindy project.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
RIP Powerless
http://tvline.com/2017/04/25/powerless-cancelled-nbc-season-1-thursday-schedule/

I think it is well-documented on this forum by now my love for Powerless and how much I wish it would continue on. However, the ratings unfortunately don't justify it. Therefore, I blame each and EVERY one of you for this. How dare you not watch this show??? And to think you call yourselves comic book fans. Shame, shame know your name!!!!

With that said, now that it seems its over, I figured I'd toss Powerless onto my Superhero TV show rankings because I feel they earned it.

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. The Flash (Season 2)
  7. Supergirl (Season 1)
  8. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  9. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  10. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  11. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  12. Powerless (Season 1)
  13. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  14. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  15. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  16. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  17. Preacher (Season 1)
  18. Arrow (Season 3)
  19. Constantine (Season 1)
  20. Arrow (Season 4)
  21. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)

Reactions: cyhiphopp

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
RIP Powerless
http://tvline.com/2017/04/25/powerless-cancelled-nbc-season-1-thursday-schedule/

I think it is well-documented on this forum by now my love for Powerless and how much I wish it would continue on. However, the ratings unfortunately don't justify it. Therefore, I blame each and EVERY one of you for this. How dare you not watch this show??? And to think you call yourselves comic book fans. Shame, shame know your name!!!!

With that said, now that it seems its over, I figured I'd toss Powerless onto my Superhero TV show rankings because I feel they earned it.

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. The Flash (Season 2)
  7. Supergirl (Season 1)
  8. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  9. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  10. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  11. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  12. Powerless (Season 1)
  13. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  14. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  15. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  16. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  17. Preacher (Season 1)
  18. Arrow (Season 3)
  19. Constantine (Season 1)
  20. Arrow (Season 4)
  21. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
Ha ha. I watched with the wife a couple episodes on demand. Now I guess I don't have to finish it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Ha ha. I watched with the wife a couple episodes on demand. Now I guess I don't have to finish it.

I do see the episodes are still available for now at least on the app on my phone. Can't promise they will stay there for long. My biggest thing is I would like to see the last two episodes that are already finished if in any way possible, even if they only make them available on their app, which is where I watch them all anyway.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So i was watching BvS again and this movie would have been infinitely better if the character of Lex was completely different. His persona and motivations made no sense throughout the whole movie. He was smart enough and connected enough to find out the identities of Batman, Superman, justice league etc but acts like a crazy person with a hatred for super man that make sure no sense. Creates a world ending monster just to try and kill Superman. Sigh...
I wonder what the hell Snyder was thinking

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://screenrant.com/krypton-tv-series-syfy-order/

Well, it looks like Krypton is now officially ordered to series at Syfy. I still don't believe there is any official word on whether or not it takes place in the DCEU, but based off the similar visuals from the leaked trailer that got out there a few weeks ago, one might guess it is. Still not sure what to think of this one, but what I do know is that I thought the leaked trailer looked actually pretty good, and better than what I expected. It also looked like it might have a bigger budget than I expected as well. Tough to fully tell that based off a trailer though.