***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
How can you say that they are uncommon & happen fairly regularly? And I think my statement that redshirts are less common now is definitely true.

Let's say 1 team/conference redshirts a player every 2 years. It's not common but it happens regularly. I'm not saying those numbers are legit but just as a reference. The MB came up with a mythic correlation with transfers and redshirting. It is possible that a recruit is misled by a staff and then asked to redshirt out of the blue upon arrival. Could happen, but I tend to believe that if there is any possibility of that happening, the coaching staff is up front with the possibility through recruitment, up through the first month of practices. If a player truly believes they aren't going to fit at a school, why are they committing? It may be true that there are far more players that want to start and be a star on the team they commit to, but there are some that just want to play for a successful team and are willing to be the role player with a chance to move up if they work hard and develop their game. These are usually the candidates for redshirt, not the possible starter players.

Why recruit role players as opposed to possible starters for an entire roster? Well it would be ideal, but it's also logically far harder to keep people happy with minutes and every team needs role players to be successful. Even Kentucky uses role players that aren't expected to be stars.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Let's say 1 team/conference redshirts a player every 2 years. It's not common but it happens regularly. I'm not saying those numbers are legit but just as a reference. The MB came up with a mythic correlation with transfers and redshirting. It is possible that a recruit is misled by a staff and then asked to redshirt out of the blue upon arrival. Could happen, but I tend to believe that if there is any possibility of that happening, the coaching staff is up front with the possibility through recruitment, up through the first month of practices. If a player truly believes they aren't going to fit at a school, why are they committing? It may be true that there are far more players that want to start and be a star on the team they commit to, but there are some that just want to play for a successful team and are willing to be the role player with a chance to move up if they work hard and develop their game. These are usually the candidates for redshirt, not the possible starter players.

Why recruit role players as opposed to possible starters for an entire roster? Well it would be ideal, but it's also logically far harder to keep people happy with minutes and every team needs role players to be successful. Even Kentucky uses role players that aren't expected to be stars.

I'd also argue this "new era of transfers" deters from what most consider traditional red shirts. A lot of teams have a player transferring in using a roster spot normally ear marked for a red shirt (ISU had Kasongo and Lard). Freshman are very reluctant to accept a red shirt even in the case they decide to transfer out and wouldn't want to lose a year of eligibility sitting. I felt bad things didn't work out for Sharron Dorsey-Walker after he RS his freshman year and had to burn a eligible year sitting out at Oakland.

(Hope SDW's team can continue their run in the NIT after last night. btw)

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Don't forget McNeil!

Yep, we need two eligible forwards and a guard imo. The big fish are not out yet, but Juiston in priority #1. I'd love Thornton and Thorpe, too. With the scholarships that will open soon grab a sit-out transfer

Not sure what to expect from McNeil. He looks a little thin but had some nice offers. I'm hoping either he or Long emerges as a solid guard off the bench.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I'd also argue this "new era of transfers" deters from what most consider traditional red shirts. A lot of teams have a player transferring in using a roster spot normally ear marked for a red shirt (ISU had Kasongo and Lard). Freshman are very reluctant to accept a red shirt even in the case they decide to transfer out and wouldn't want to lose a year of eligibility sitting. I felt bad things didn't work out for Sharron Dorsey-Walker after he RS his freshman year and had to burn a eligible year sitting out at Oakland.

(Hope SDW's team can continue their run in the NIT after last night. btw)
I don't see the relation at all. It is easier to transfer, but players don't go to a school expecting to transfer. Again the redshirt candidates are developing players that wouldn't start right away anyway.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Most IU fans did not like Crean and haven't for several years. General feeling is he can recruit, but can't coach.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Why? Crean brings little to a school that recruits itself

That's like saying Nebraska football recruits itself. Yes, some players are still awed by the idea of playing for them, but you need a good coach to get the others. I don't care strongly one way or another, but I think Crean did a decent job there.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's like saying Nebraska football recruits itself. Yes, some players are still awed by the idea of playing for them, but you need a good coach to get the others. I don't care strongly one way or another, but I think Crean did a decent job there.
Yeah, that's a very bad comparison.

NU was never a recruiting power and football and basketball are completely different

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
@VerbalCommits Penn State G Terrence Samuel (RS JR) is transferring. Will graduate and be eligible immediately.....

Surprising this kid went to PedU with the great offer list that he had. Did he do much at PSU?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron