***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
One time ISU recruit

Not terrible numbers. 4.3 ppg and 1.9 rpb in only 11.8 minutes per game.

was 8 years ago but Chris Babb put up 2.8 and 1.1 in 10 minutes per game his Freshman year at Penn State. Same conference, similar recruits.

What were Babb's sophomore numbers?

Is he better than the kid from WDM that plays there?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
What were Babb's sophomore numbers?

Is he better than the kid from WDM that plays there?

Chris put up 9.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 2.2 apg in 29.7 minutes per game as a Sophomore at Penn State.

Michael Jacobson is the WDM kid on Nebraska.
Jacobson is 6-9 235 compared to Horne at 6-7 222

Jacobson put up 4.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg as a freshman in 18.3 minutes and 6.0 and 6.2 in 24 mpg this year. Nearly identical per 40 numbers.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Chris put up 9.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 2.2 apg in 29.7 minutes per game as a Sophomore at Penn State.

Michael Jacobson is the WDM kid on Nebraska.
Jacobson is 6-9 235 compared to Horne at 6-7 222

Jacobson put up 4.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg as a freshman in 18.3 minutes and 6.0 and 6.2 in 24 mpg this year. Nearly identical per 40 numbers.
Thank you!

A lot easier decision with another year of play. Sounds like they're significantly different players. I watched a interview/highlight video from this fall that made Horne sound like more a mismatch/tweener type.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Horne' final 6 out of high school was Nebraska, DePaul, Kansas State, Iowa State, Wichita State and Pepperdine.

Linked is a his HS evaluation sounds like a stretch 4. I'd say he'd be worth a call from the staff to see if there is interest.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1594442-jeriah-horne-evaluatio

One time ISU recruit

Not terrible numbers. 4.3 ppg and 1.9 rpb in only 11.8 minutes per game.

was 8 years ago but Chris Babb put up 2.8 and 1.1 in 10 minutes per game his Freshman year at Penn State. Same conference, similar recruits.

[/QUOTE]

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I loved Horne as a recruit but don't really like how he turned into a 3PT shooter at Nebraska. I'm not really a big fan of him as our stretch four. I'll trust Prohm on this one though.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I loved Horne as a recruit but don't really like how he turned into a 3PT shooter at Nebraska. I'm not really a big fan of him as our stretch four. I'll trust Prohm on this one though.
I agree, he could be a successful mismatch like many of our recent forwards, or he could be a tweener. A guy that's 6'7" and can shoot 3Ps, handle a little, is interesting though

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Given our needs next year, a sit-out guys aren't as appealing imo.

Agree to an extent. I think the 3 remaining scholarships should be used on players that will be eligible for the 2017-18 season. If/When a player leaves ISU this offseason, I wouldn't mind using that scholarship on a sit out transfer or banking it for a mid year.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Given our needs next year, a sit-out guys aren't as appealing imo.

I doubt Prohm is going to fill all three scholarships with impact JC or grad transfers, and that is if there isn't any unforeseen roster turnover with the non-seniors.

I actually think it is a good thing to have a sit out transfer or two to give the team a P5 players to practice against and learn the system filling the 11 and 12 roster spots most years.

One post likely Juiston and or Lake to come in for major minutes is a major need. The other two should be filled by the highest ceiling players available be it prep, JuCo, sit out or grad transfer. I'll trust the staff to figure that out.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I doubt Prohm is going to fill all three scholarships with impact JC or grad transfers, and that is if there isn't any unforeseen roster turnover with the non-seniors.
We need a good amount of help. It's a challenge but filing those holes is what Prohm gets paid to do. If he can't, like last spring, he won't continue to be successful. Not all can contribute, but we already have a few guys that fill those "roles".

If Coach is as good as I think he is, we'll fill the three open ones with players good enough to help next year.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We need a good amount of help. It's a challenge but filing those holes is what Prohm gets paid to do. If he can't, like last spring, he won't continue to be successful. Not all can contribute, but we already have a few guys that fill those "roles".

If Coach is as good as I think he is, we'll fill the three open ones with players good enough to help next year.

This is assuming that the staff is looking to fill 3 spots. With the legacy graduations Seniors ISU is loosing fans from the outside can assume there are minutes readily available but Prohm has watched and developed the roster through out the year. He may feel Lard, Kosongo, Carter, along with Young are ready to contribute major minutes next year. Also the late surge of Weller-Babb, Jackson possible development of Long and add in Wigginton, McNeil, and Lewis may have lessened the need for a guard addition.

Fact is Prohm is the only one who know how he'd like to distribute minutes next year and we shouldn't assume that there are 3 "holes" that need to be filled. JuCo's and Grad transfers will expect/demand playing time and could create issues if they aren't better than what is on the roster. I want the open scholarships to be used for the best players not just to fill minutes.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm really waiting for things to actually heat up on the transfer market as pickings really seem slim so far, and it almost seems like Cyclone fans sometimes think we almost get first pick of everything, which is increasingly becoming less and less true. For whatever there ends up being, we'll have a lot of competition. Therefore, I'm hoping there is a LOT more transfers to come online soon.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is assuming that the staff is looking to fill 3 spots. With the legacy graduations Seniors ISU is loosing fans from the outside can assume there are minutes readily available but Prohm has watched and developed the roster through out the year. He may feel Lard, Kosongo, Carter, along with Young are ready to contribute major minutes next year. Also the late surge of Weller-Babb, Jackson possible development of Long and add in Wigginton, McNeil, and Lewis may have lessened the need for a guard addition.

Fact is Prohm is the only one who know how he'd like to distribute minutes next year and we shouldn't assume that there are 3 "holes" that need to be filled. JuCo's and Grad transfers will expect/demand playing time and could create issues if they aren't better than what is on the roster. I want the open scholarships to be used for the best players not just to fill minutes.
Maybe he's getting a medical rs for Stu, too.

You don't avoid filling needs based on potential hurt feelings

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Well since it has been confirmed they would like to add an experienced guard and a couple JUCO or Grad transfer bigs I am assuming the coaching staff sees holes they need to fill.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm really waiting for things to actually heat up on the transfer market as pickings really seem slim so far, and it almost seems like Cyclone fans sometimes think we almost get first pick of everything, which is increasingly becoming less and less true. For whatever there ends up being, we'll have a lot of competition. Therefore, I'm hoping there is a LOT more transfers to come online soon.

April is the biggest month for transfers from what I can recall. Too many teams are still playing at this point to recruit transfers, so there's no point in announcing until there are some teams able to bring you in for a visit.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Will be really interesting to see who the staff goes after in the transfer market. By the time our season is over (assuming we make it to the second weekend), the transfer market will be in full throttle and there will be lots of competition for top dogs in the market. I'm anxious to see if we go after some of the most sought after transfers, because if we are going after the Holden and Bowie types again that will not be encouraging as we need guys that can make a major impact.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Well since it has been confirmed they would like to add an experienced guard and a couple JUCO or Grad transfer bigs I am assuming the coaching staff sees holes they need to fill.

Link?
I believe Prohm said he'd like a JuCo/Grad transfer front court player and shooter if available. The third scholarship would be used for best available prep/transfer (Yenta? who likely would RS or not contribute much as a freshman).
If the staff can find 3 players to add to next years rotation and get them to commit it would be great. I'm just cautioning that we shouldn't expect that or see it as a failure by Prohm because he may feel the current players are ready to step up or are better than the available options. Actually I would feel better about the future of the team if that was the case.

• Agree
Reactions: goclones69