***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO

Saw his minutes and numbers dip this year but first two seasons at Marquette averaged over 11ppg

Former top 100 recruit and Milwaukee native.

View attachment 47118

"As a redshirt freshmen, he carried a major scoring role, averaging 11.9 points per game on the way to being named to the Big East all-rookie team. The next season, he took on the role of captain for the Golden Eagles, serving as their leader on and off the court. This season, he was asked to come off the bench in limited minutes as a wing and affect the game with his defense, hustle, and intensity."

"Ultimately, one of the strongest drivers behind Wilson's decision is he wants to play more and wants to play point guard."

"I came into college as a point guard. That's what I wanted to do and I just felt like me going away and finding a better place would be better for me. Getting a chance to play point guard, those would be the schools I'm looking into -- to play combo guard on and off the ball. Just really a bigger role." - Wilson

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

"As a redshirt freshmen, he carried a major scoring role, averaging 11.9 points per game on the way to being named to the Big East all-rookie team. The next season, he took on the role of captain for the Golden Eagles, serving as their leader on and off the court. This season, he was asked to come off the bench in limited minutes as a wing and affect the game with his defense, hustle, and intensity."

"Ultimately, one of the strongest drivers behind Wilson's decision is he wants to play more and wants to play point guard."

"I came into college as a point guard. That's what I wanted to do and I just felt like me going away and finding a better place would be better for me. Getting a chance to play point guard, those would be the schools I'm looking into -- to play combo guard on and off the ball. Just really a bigger role." - Wilson

Hmm, I know he would help, but.. hmm.

I'm still smittened with 2000 having so much success with three guys that can handle like pgs. Imagine a team of Wilson, Jackson, Wigginton plus McNeil, Babb, and Long.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Good info. Someone who was a team captain and leader as a RS Soph I would gladly welcome onto next years squad full of youngsters and newcomers.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Hmm, I know he would help, but.. hmm.

I'm still smittened with 2000 having so much success with three guys that can handle like pgs. Imagine a team of Wilson, Jackson, Wigginton plus McNeil, Babb, and Long.
Idk would we want 3 PG"S next season. Prohm didn't bring Jackson in as the #1 JUCO PG prospect and somewhat groom him to be MM replacement for 1 season, and also bring in "his" guy out of HS in Wigginton to be his next star PG. This dude would be a good get but with the need of a big man and the state of the PG spot being head and shoulders over the Posts I personally don't think he go after a PG. What do I know tho I'm just a factory worker lol.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Idk would we want 3 PG"S next season. Prohm didn't bring Jackson in as the #1 JUCO PG prospect and somewhat groom him to be MM replacement for 1 season, and also bring in "his" guy out of HS in Wigginton to be his next start PG. This dude would be a good get but with the need of a big man and the state of the PG spot being head and shoulders over the Posts I personally don't think he go after a PG. What do I know tho I'm just a factory worker lol.

Don't get too hung up on position names. The flexibility would be great in that set up, and allow for each guy to play at the point or off the ball, depending on what the match ups favored.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Idk would we want 3 PG"S next season. Prohm didn't bring Jackson in as the #1 JUCO PG prospect and somewhat groom him to be MM replacement for 1 season, and also bring in "his" guy out of HS in Wigginton to be his next start PG. This dude would be a good get but with the need of a big man and the state of the PG spot being head and shoulders over the Posts I personally don't think he go after a PG. What do I know tho I'm just a factory worker lol.
I get that, but many teams win with having three guards play. Prohm ultimately brought those guys in to win.

Obviously a big guard like Kane would be ideal, but we have both room and need for a guy that can bring what Wilson can. We have no one that has really been a pg at this level. Wigginton and Jackson both have had very limited time at pg in their careers, let alone at the Big 12 level.

Right now we don't have a mismatch, low post scoring, and anyone that's been a primary ball handler at this level. Someone like Wilson could be the latter and also infuse some scoring. Add Juiston as a mismatch/post scorer, raw scoring ability of Wigginton, and improvement from Young, Babb, and Jackson and we have a decent group of starters with good prospects off the bench.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Wilson,Jackson and Wigginton could all play together. With DJ as our best shooter coming back, having an experienced PG alongside him could make him much more versatile.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
FWIW, Jake Sullivan said on the Fanatics Monday night that he thought Jackson played much better this year when he was off the ball and Monte was running the point. Also said that Wigginton isn't a true point either so based on who we currently have on the roster they would have to be a pair of hybrid point guards on the floor at the same time.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Wigginton played off the ball all year this year at oak hill. Donovan was never the primary pg at Iowa Western and never averaged more than 3 apg. There's plenty of room and minutes for Wilson to play whatever position he wants.

This.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Wigginton played off the ball all year this year at oak hill. Donovan was never the primary pg at Iowa Western and never averaged more than 3 apg. There's plenty of room and minutes for Wilson to play whatever position he wants.
And they both came to a High Major school wanting to play Point Guard.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
And they both came to a High Major school wanting to play Point Guard.
So did Naz.

Even with the greatest pg in Big 12 history we used a lot of guys at that spot and signed Kane to handle it his freshman year. This isn't junior high. None of our current pg prospects have really played pg, let alone at this level

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
So did Naz.

Even with the greatest pg in Big 12 history we used a lot of guys at that spot and signed Kane to handle it his freshman year. This isn't junior high. None of our current pg prospects have really played pg, let alone at this level
Different situations. And, If you think Monte wasn't playing PG his freshman year, what was he playing? Certainly not shooting guard. Just because he didn't bring it up when DeAndre and him were in the game, doesn't mean he wasn't still a PG the whole time.

Naz wasn't as highly regarded as Lindell so he had to conform so he could see the floor. Lindell will not have to do that. Donovan almost didn't come to this school all together because the PG he thought was leaving ended up coming back for his senior year. No reason he would have second guessed if he was a SG or our coaches planned on him becoming a SG. My point is, why, if you have these really good guys who are coming here to play PG already, would you add another PG? When your need, in the backcourt, is a 3 point shooter for the SG/Wing spot.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Different situations. And, If you think Monte wasn't playing PG his freshman year, what was he playing? Certainly not shooting guard. Just because he didn't bring it up when DeAndre and him were in the game, doesn't mean he wasn't still a PG the whole time.
Think about that and you'll realize why you're worrying about nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: isu2014 and Doc

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Naz wasn't as highly regarded as Lindell so he had to conform so he could see the floor. Lindell will not have to do that. Donovan almost didn't come to this school all together because the PG he thought was leaving ended up coming back for his senior year. No reason he would have second guessed if he was a SG or our coaches planned on him becoming a SG. My point is, why, if you have these really good guys who are coming here to play PG already, would you add another PG? When your need, in the backcourt, is a 3 point shooter for the SG/Wing spot.

Why can't that be Jackson?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

So why couldn't you make the exact same argument about Jackson this year?

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am not worrying about anything. I just think that a PG is not the type of player we should take, with our other needs currently.

An opinion, in which I was expressing why I feel that way.
Morris-Kane is the hole in your contention/opinion about having guys signed to play pg.

We don't have a single guy next year that's played point guard at this level and many of the candidates haven't really played pg at any level.

We have two major needs. Replace/find our mismatch in the frontcourt and get a grad transfer guard, preferably a pg.

Last edited: