Lanning practicing with LB's

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Basketball player Stevie Johnson would disagree.

Hadn't played football since his sophomore year in HS. Played as a LB on the 9 win team of 2000. Made 17 tackles in 10 games that season in a reserve role. He made a major contribution.

Actually that proves my point.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
if the staff likes Zeb where does that put devon moore? i had heard he was the future. assuming redshirt?

Can't put all your eggs in one basket. They were pretty high on Zeb before he tore up his knee. Park has what, two years of eligibility? So for the 2019 season you have a redshirt junior and redshirt sophomore fighting it out for the starting job.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know a whole lot about Lanning but I can assume that he didn't hesitate if asked to make the move, and that kind of mindset from a leader is just one more small link to a culture change.

Would be fun if he becomes a major player at the position, maybe comes in at tight end or something occasionally too.

• Optimistic
Reactions: YeahBuddy

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Lanning is big and strong and a great athlete. He was an elite HS wrestler (3rd at State as a senior). He should have a unique advantage when it comes to reading formations and plays.

Giving him the Spring to see if he can be a LB hurts nobody. He can step right back in to QB in the fall and not miss a beat.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, I wouldn't say you can't. Its unusual and hard, but if Stevie Johnson can step in and be a good linebacker at the college level after playing PF the previous 4 years, then anything is possible.
And if I remember correctly Stevie didn't even finish high school playing football so he had been away from the game entirely for over 5 years. Joel has been playing the game at least and at QB where you have to have an understanding of what each defensive player is trying to do.

EDIT: already posted, I see...

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Even if it doesn't stick, it shows that this staff has great adaptability. I love it.

^^^^This x 1000. Even the elite programs with their huge depth advantages are creative with how they shuffle personnel to get the best 11 guys on the field at any one time. Previous staff was horrible at maximizing what was available to them, probably because of the lack of cohesion among the coaches.

This also shows me we have had a true culture change when an elected captain is willing to change positions (even sides of the ball) for the good of the team. I hope Joel tears it up at LB.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and Brandon

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
I have heard from people close to the program that Zeb was in serious contention for not just the backup QB role last season, but a starting role. That is until he got injured of course.

Nevertheless it gives a glimpse into how much the staff believes in Noland.

After thinking about it if Lanning had come into the program as a LB he could have been an absolute monster by this point. Love the staff giving it a test run and with Joel's mental and physical abilities I wouldn't be surprised at all if it works out really well. He will obviously also be a threat on offense in certain situations

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Anyone heard how Zeb Noland's rehab is coming along? Don't recall reading if he would, or would not, practice this spring.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Joel Lanning is one of the best athletes on the team. To not have him on the field somewhere is a waste of talent. Gotta get your best players on the field. I'm pretty excited about this.

Hope the LB thing works out. Would love to see him level some Hawkeyes from both sides of the line of scrimmage.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW