Need a trombone.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
My 5th grader is starting band this year and I need to get her a trombone. any reconmendations? Not necessarily looking for a new one, or to be stuck with an expensive instrument contract if it doesn't work out.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
My 5th grader is starting band this year and I need to get her a trombone. any reconmendations? Not necessarily looking for a new one, or to be stuck with an expensive instrument contract if it doesn't work out.
This was a long time ago, and my parents handled the cost, so I'm not sure how useful this will be, but I got a King trombone and thought it worked great. I played through high school and eventually got a nicer one, but always used the king one for marching band

and where are you from in Des Moines? I'm from the Beaverdale area and I know there is a music store on Beaver right across from Ace (called uptempo music and apparently has really good reviews), and there's a Rieman music store over by target and merle hay

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think it's like $30/month to rent one from Rieman Music, we were just looking at that stuff but for orchestra.

Reactions: RedBlooded

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
They drop out or change instruments. Mine went from trombone (after buying a very good used one) to tuba. The music stands that you are required to buy becomes a clothes rack

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Idk percussion was where it was at when I was in 5th grade. You had to suffer through playing the bells but after some time you gotta play the snare drum.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Among my several lives, I am a professional trombone player. The Yamaha YSL-354 is the perfect entry level horn. I think the important thing is to not go too cheap because a poor performing instrument will frustrate beginners.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi.../trombones/tenortrombones/ysl-354/?mode=model

This is good advice. I'd also recommend buying used versus renting or buying new. If you need to sell in a year (or five) you won't be out as much. Pawn shops can be a surprisingly good resource if you've done your homework.

But really, trumpet is the correct answer.

Reactions: RedBlooded

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For our children, we were able to lease used instruments. After 30 months of lease payments, you would own the instrument. We now own a flute that we don't use (Does anybody want to buy a flute?) and returned the trumpet after nine months. The lease also included maintenance which did come in handy as there was a minor repair for each instrument.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Dumb Donald could probably help you with a DIY trombone.
The-Fat-Albert-Band.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: CYCLNST8

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Anyone have suggestions for finding an economical saxophone? Prefer alto but tenor could also work. Thanks!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron