Plug stuck in receptacle

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
So somehow Ms A got her flat iron plug stuck in our bathroom GFCI receptacle this am. I can't get it unstuck for the life of me and don't have time to deal with it before work. I shut the breaker off to that outlet so hopefully that should make me feel safer about it while I'm out of the house today, right? I'm assuming my only choice is prolly going to be replacing the outlet and smashing the old one to get the plug out? Thoughts?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Here is what I would try. Leave the breaker off and pry the plug out with a screwdriver. Force the screwdriver down between the two prongs and pry.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you can get the plastic covering for the outlet off, it might give you more wagon space to try to pry the thing out. From there on out it depends if the flat iron is bent or if it's something wrong with the outlet.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Swing by the store, get a couple of these, start lifting them until you can remove a plug from a socket.

HHNS-TN10.png

Reactions: isulive2train

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Dealt with before. Not an iron though. Breaker off and unscrew plate, remove receptacle with plug and replace. This way you'll be able to use the outlet again and have more space to remove stuck plug. (Or throw it away)

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I'm just gonna leave the power off to that outlet while I'm at work because I'm a worry wort. I'll just pick up a new GFCI outlet after work and replace it. I took the outlet away from the box and it's not split to anything else. Should be an easy fix.

Then I'll let the Ms deal with getting her flat iron unplugged from the old outlet.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Here is what I would try. Leave the breaker off and pry the plug out with a screwdriver. Force the screwdriver down between the two prongs and pry.

It's odd. It's only the one prong that seems stuck. The prong in the hot side of the outlet is loose. I'm assuming the flare of the larger prong is just lodged in the outlet so I may as well just replace it to make sure I don't break anything inside the outlet tugging on it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm just gonna leave the power off to that outlet while I'm at work because I'm a worry wort. I'll just pick up a new GFCI outlet after work and replace it. I took the outlet away from the box and it's not split to anything else. Should be an easy fix.

Then I'll let the Ms deal with getting her flat iron unplugged from the old outlet.

Sounds like a plan. Might have had something arc in there and fuse the plug to the old outlet, so you definitely don't want to use that one again.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Breaker off
Cut cord to flat iron
Install a nice hanging light from ceiling
Attach the cords with some wire nuts & duct tape
Breaker on

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's odd. It's only the one prong that seems stuck. The prong in the hot side of the outlet is loose. I'm assuming the flare of the larger prong is just lodged in the outlet so I may as well just replace it to make sure I don't break anything inside the outlet tugging on it.

So did she flip the plug and force the large prong into the small hole? (The jokes write themselves on that one)

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Sounds like a plan. Might have had something arc in there and fuse the plug to the old outlet, so you definitely don't want to use that one again.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since it's just one of the two prongs. As long as I leave the breaker off I'll have nothing to worry about while I'm at work, right?

Side note. This is the first time I've had to open my breaker panel in two years since moving into this apt complex. I was pleasantly surprised how well labeled and clean everything was. This GFCI plug for instance is on a breaker all alone. So it'll be nice to have light in the room while working on it.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
That's what I'm thinking. Especially since it's just one of the two prongs. As long as I leave the breaker off I'll have nothing to worry about while I'm at work, right?

Side note. This is the first time I've had to open my breaker panel in two years since moving into this apt complex. I was pleasantly surprised how well labeled and clean everything was. This GFCI plug for instance is on a breaker all alone. So it'll be nice to have light in the room while working on it.

Yes you should be fine. Nothing should burn down.

Or leave the breaker on and just cool down the GFCI with water.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I agree with replacing. The outlet is likely damaged in some way.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Yes you should be fine. Nothing should burn down.

Or leave the breaker on and just cool down the GFCI with water.

As a self-prescribed electrician, I can confirm this works 90% of the time every time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron