Status
Not open for further replies.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Re: BLUM: The Mayor's dilemma

I'm sure the dicussion here now will be very rational and civil.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

I don't think fred will leave for more money. Fred wouldn't have to buy a thing in ames if he wanted

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

giphy.gif

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006

Sorry, but I don't see it. I live out of state and am not nearly as close to the program as you guys, but I just don't see it.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com

When you take the emotional aspects out of this decision, it becomes a completely different scenario. None of us should ever make career choices based upon emotion, rather, what is the logical, best professional move available, and/or the most logical decision for our families.

DMCYFAN

Nov 27, 2006

He's made it pretty clear he'd like to jump to the NBA at some point. Blum makes some good points that it might actually be better if it happened this offseason than next. Don't want it to happen but I don't think anyone should be surprised if it happened within the next few years.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

I guess the media thinks it needs to create news, coming up with reasons for Fred to leave Iowa State. If Fred is so ultra competitive, how about dethroning kansas and winning 11 straight titles like bill self? How about getting to numerous Final Fours like Tom Izzo? How about establishing a lasting legacy like Bo Ryan?

I guess if Cael Sanderson can leave, so could Fred, but it would spiral the basketball program down the drain, just like Sanderson leaving did to the wrestling program. Just look at our history if you want to argue that.

Heaven forbid instead of the media drumming up reasons for Fred to leave, they would try to do a comprehensive interview that ask him address these "media" rumors and if they are hurting recruiting.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX

come on Chris and Blum....have you not read the posts by the CF members here who have guaranteed Fred won't leave??!! How dare you raise these logical points, many which have been stated often, on this board where the members whose only joy in life is ISU basketball are liable to burn Ames to the ground if Fred actually jumps at some point...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Sorry, not buying into anything that stretches far enough to reference Kurt Freerentz.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

The Kirk comparison is not perfect, but it works. He stuck around, coached his kids, made a butt load of money, kept the program relevant.

However he set the bar high and the fans got stale with the style of play and now have kind of turned on him.

How things are different for Fred are, his style of play is not boring. Recruiting for basketball is a lot different than football - Kirk has never been able to get big time recruits, he has to develop 2/3 stars into NFL players (tougher to do).

If you ask Kirk if he regrets not going to the NFL, but instead made piles of cash and got to coach his kids - i would guess he doesn't regret it much.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007

Interesting that Blum mentions that all the speculation is hurting recruiting yet the last two columns I have read on the topic have both come from this site. Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy....or a need for web traffic in lieu of recruiting news (it's been awful quiet lately what with a few visits but no commits).

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

Will he go or won't he go? Why he won't go or why he would go? The premise for every story written from when the NBA talks started to date.

Just enjoy the ride people.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

I love your writing Blum, but honestly there wasn't much there that hasn't been beaten to death already.

By all means, I will be a Hoiberg fan no matter what happens. I want to see him at ISU next year and beyond.

The thing I keep coming back to is his health. I don't know the severity of what he is going through. I do know that the expectations and lifestyle he has in Ames for next season are for lack of a better term, known. He knows he has a top 10 team and people expect a top 10 finish. Of course the pressure is huge, but he knows that already. Going to the NBA this offseason flips the scr ipt 180 with his lifestyle and expectations. I know CFH is competitive and seems to succeed wherever he goes, but I just wonder what jumping to the NBA would do to his health at this important time in recovery for him. The pressure and rigors of the coaching world will be there whatever he decides to do, but I just get the feeling he knows a lot more of what he can expect in Ames then in Chicago or whatever other job opens up.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Obviously I have no idea what Fred would do. But, whenever I think of an ISU coach going to the NBA, I think of Tim Floyd. He had a stacked team and decided to chase the money. Then his replacement gets all the credit for leading one of the best teams in ISU history. And where is Tim Floyd now? He chased a dollar and ended up pretty obscure now. I know he's still coaching, but don't remember where. I feel he could have been a household name pretty much the rest of his career had he stuck around for a few more years.

I'd really hate to see that happen to Fred. Seems to me, next year's team is setting up to be one of the better teams ever at ISU, that's saying a lot with the recent teams we've had. I would almost think there is something mentally going on with a coach to leave this team. The NBA isn't going anywhere, this opportunity at ISU doesn't come along every year.

That being said, is Fred's future at ISU really an elephant in the room? Weather it's articles or posts, seems crazy to me that we keep bringing up this endless speculation to say, "At the end of the day, no one knows what Fred will do but Fred himself." I'm sorry, but I didn't really feel this article opened up any new doors that someone on here hadn't mentioned before. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent article, but in the end, just seemed like a way to inevitably dig up the same old conversations about Fred that we've had on here 100 times already.

I pondered the situation and believe Fred will be here next year.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Shouldn't the previous Fred-to-the-NBA speculation thread close before a new one starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron