Coach Matt A to St. Johns

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: Coach Matt A

Now, I'm waiting for our posters with sources to give us some indication of when we should expect the news. Didn't expect it yesterday because it would have overlapped with news of Niang's announcement as an All-American.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

I actually think it's the other way around. Head coaches should always work up, but as an assistant, it's more about building a resume, and gaining experience through different coaches

Perhaps, but the assistant coaches that get the best head coach jobs are usually "plucked" from the best college basketball staffs. Look at the assistant coaches at Duke, Mike Brey, Quin Snyder, Tommy Amaker, Jeff Capel, Steve Wojciechowski......they all have had the opportunity to make it as hc's because they were coaching at a successful program like Duke. Schools take more chances giving an assistant from successful programs opportunities at hc, than those schools with less success. Had Matt left for a hc position, no brainer.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Perhaps, but the assistant coaches that get the best head coach jobs are usually "plucked" from the best college basketball staffs. Look at the assistant coaches at Duke, Mike Brey, Quin Snyder, Tommy Amaker, Jeff Capel, Steve Wojciechowski......they all have had the opportunity to make it as hc's because they were coaching at a successful program like Duke. Schools take more chances giving an assistant from successful programs opportunities at hc, than those schools with less success. Had Matt left for a hc position, no brainer.

If ISU was Duke this would make sense.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I don't think Matt going to St. John's is a big a chance as some think. He's going to be successful recruiting there. That's pretty much a sure thing. People want to play for Mullin, people want to play in Madison Square Garden, people want to live in NYC -- it will be a lot easier for Matt to recruit there.

Worse case for him is that he maintains a rep as a good recruiter and takes a hit as an in-game coach. And I don't know, but I suspect he's a guy that could always go back to Fred.

clonefan24

Feb 4, 2014

Matt Abdelmassih@mabde33 2m2 minutes ago
Extremely sad but happy to move onto the next stage in my life #loveiowastateforever
CBb3HTwVIAMWWJS.jpg

CBb3HTyVIAAS707.jpg

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

From ISU athletics:

"Abdelmassih was a student manager for the St. John’s men’s basketball team on Norm Roberts’ staff from 2004-07. He aided the director of operations with travel, video and camp responsibilities."

Yea with those credentials I'm sure Chris Mullen has him on speed dial. The Kool aid is running deep today. I don't care how well Chris Williams know's Matt. Until Mullen calls he's not going to St John. I wish him well but would love to have TJ back.

I'm sure Mullen just called Matt this morning for the first time and he accepted it on the spot. I mean he couldn't have been lining all this up from California days ago, could he? I'm also sure CW just blindly made this up and go lucky.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

If ISU was Duke this would make sense.

When ISU won two conference titles in a row with LE, most of his assistants were being lured away to better coaching positions as a result of that success. It happens at every school with consistent success.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Now, I'm waiting for our posters with sources to give us some indication of when we should expect the news. Didn't expect it yesterday because it would have overlapped with news of Niang's announcement as an All-American.

Is Travis Hines just sitting there reading Cyclone Fanatic and tweeting out info as we ask for it? That is two this morning. He confirmed the Courtlin Jackson transfer and now the Coach Matt move right after people asked on CF.

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014

What does this mean for Cheick?

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

Meh. If its costs us Cheick then I'm ******. if not, whatever. Hopefully Fred can hire or raise up a stud recruiter to take his place

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Damn... Sure its quite clear he's expected to try to bring Diallo with him.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

When ISU won two conference titles in a row with LE, most of his assistants were being lured away to better coaching positions as a result of that success. It happens at every school with consistent success.

St Johns assistant is not a better coaching position. St John's is just to MA what ISU is to Fred it appears

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

That's a stinker but with every closed door another opens up . . . Fred has a great chance to bring in a great recruiter.