Coach Matt A to St. Johns

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Re: Coach Matt A

I think one thing that frustrates fans is that we are a top 15 team and we are losing as assistant to a team that isn't even in the power five in a lateral move.

I understand if Matt wants to be closer to "home", but IMO if you want to be successful at coaching, where you live is not a factor. Successful people do the things (and live in places perhaps) that unsuccessful people are unwilling to do.

it's his dream job and a chance to work with another NBA guy. If the NBA is his dream, and Fred isn't leaving soon, then this makes all the sense in the world.

This fan base really sucks sometimes.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I think one thing that frustrates fans is that we are a top 15 team and we are losing as assistant to a team that isn't even in the power five in a lateral move.

I understand if Matt wants to be closer to "home", but IMO if you want to be successful at coaching, where you live is not a factor. Successful people do the things (and live in places perhaps) that unsuccessful people are unwilling to do.

that all goes out the window to me because Matt has always said St Johns is his love and his home.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

it's entirely possible that everyone involved knows Matt going to St. Johns is a done deal and they just haven't made it official yet. I don't know why that would make an ISU fan mad, It's not like he's going behind Fred's back.

I don't get the butthurt either. Not everything is announced officially the minute that a decision has been made.

Also, St. John's is to Matt A, what ISU is to Fred, so I would seriously doubt that Fred isn't supportive of this move.

He gets this move better than anyone.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

So if Fred leaves because he wants to become more successful and doesn't feel like it will happen in Ames you wouldn't be upset?

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

that all goes out the window to me because Matt has always said St Johns is his love and his home.

Yea, I understand that. I'm just saying that if he does indeed leave, he's unhitching his wagon from a rising star and hooking up to a HUGE unknown. Things may work out just fine, but it could also be very risky career move.

I'm just looking at it in terms of career advancement. At this time there is much more security and upside at ISU. It may be a risk he's willing to take, which is fine, but it's still a risk.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Those fans are idiots and let them be mad. Matt has a chance to go back to his Alma Mater and coach.... hmmmm.... Sounds familiar.

Good thing Fred didn't listen to that ridiculous "advice."

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

So if Fred leaves because he wants to become more successful and doesn't feel like it will happen in Ames you wouldn't be upset?

I would be upset if Fred left ISU and went to Creighton. In addition, it's not like Fred isn't having success in Ames.

My whole point is if your goal is to a head coach in basketball, locations should not be a deciding factor in your career choices. You want to place yourself in a position that gives you the best opportunity to prove your are worthy of a head coaching position. So the question is: is it better to be working for one of the hottest coaching names in both college and NBA basketball to go to work for a coach that is totally unproven?

I'm not saying Matt is wrong, he has free will, I'm just saying what some may be feeling since it was brought up.

Last edited:

SighClone23

Sep 11, 2013

I completely understand Matt wanting to go home. The way we all feel about Iowa State is how he feels about St. Johns. It's always going to be home.

That said, there is definitely irony in that him leaving probably causes us to lose out on a bigger recruit than he was ever able to bring in here. It kind of sums up a lot of his recruiting efforts while at Iowa State - close but not quite. Don't get me wrong, I'll be sad to see him go, but when you look past the Diallo situation, there's no reason for us not to look at this as a chance to upgrade. I'm sure Fred is.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS

I would be upset if Fred left ISU and went to Creighton. In addition, it's not like Fred isn't having success in Ames.

My whole point is if your goal is to a head coach in basketball, locations should not be a deciding factor in your career choices. You want to place yourself in a position that gives you the best opportunity to prove your are worthy of a head coaching position. So the question is: is it better to be working for one of the hottest coaching names in both college and NBA basketball to go to work for a coach that is totally unproven?

I'm not saying Matt is wrong, he has free will, I'm just saying what some may be feeling since it was brought up.

I disagree. Even Bill Self considered going back to coach his Aluma Mater (Okie State).

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

I disagree. Even Bill Self considered going back to coach his Aluma Mater (Okie State).

Not even the same comparison. Self considered going to his Alma Mater at a head coach, not an assistant. My point is as an ASSISTANT, if you want to climb the ladder, you go and do whatever puts you in the best position to reach that goal.

I'm not mad at Matt, I understand his desire to get closer to home, but I also look at how that decision could potentially change the future path of his coaching career.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

If Coach Matt takes the St. Johns job, I think he is taking a huge risk. However, if it works out, then he has both Chris Mullin and Fred Hoiberg on his resume. Imagine being able to "take credit" for the behind-the-scenes stuff for both of them. And they both have great connections to the NBA. I hate the thought of losing Coach Matt, but it is making more and more sense as I think about it.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Not even the same comparison. Self considered going to his Alma Mater at a head coach, not an assistant. My point is as an ASSISTANT, if you want to climb the ladder, you go and do whatever puts you in the best position to reach that goal.

I'm not mad at Matt, I understand his desire to get closer to home, but I also look at how that decision could potentially change the future path of his coaching career.

I actually think it's the other way around. Head coaches should always work up, but as an assistant, it's more about building a resume, and gaining experience through different coaches

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, uh, but consider what he would have been leaving. That's a bigger step down than going from ISU to St. Johns.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

If Coach Matt takes the St. Johns job, I think he is taking a huge risk. However, if it works out, then he has both Chris Mullin and Fred Hoiberg on his resume. Imagine being able to "take credit" for the behind-the-scenes stuff for both of them. And they both have great connections to the NBA. I hate the thought of losing Coach Matt, but it is making more and more sense as I think about it.

This ^^^
Matt would be taking a chance going to St. John's w/ Mullin as there are alot of unknowns. Though if he can build the program like Fred has and get them to the NCAA tourney in a couple of years he will have that as another rebuild job added to his resume and thus could be ready to be given the keys to his own program. Right now, I could see AD's just pointing to Fred as the reason for success and not having total confidence in the staff.

Coach Otz made a simular decision, first to leave McD then eventully Fred, to help his career long term even though he was well paid and had success in Ames. I think he has improved his resume and getting respect for going to UW and making a bigger name as a recruiter, even though he would have had a lot more "team success" over the past three years w/ CFH.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

I actually think it's the other way around. Head coaches should always work up, but as an assistant, it's more about building a resume, and gaining experience through different coaches
Yeah, but does this really put him in a better chance for a head coaching job. It seems like St. Johns is trying to recreate what Hoiberg did. So he has already proven he can be a part of that situation. I would think that he would want to move to somewhere that has a different style if he moves.

Spam

May 21, 2008

You mean not everyone thinks of Ames, IA as God's country?

SighClone23

Sep 11, 2013

You can't look at every coaching job in a vacuum. What is Matt's bread and butter? Recruiting, especially in the Northeast, and nowhere are his ties stronger than NYC. Putting aside St. Johns being home for him, don't you think that Matt will probably have a little more success recruiting kids in the NY area to stay in NY than recruiting them to Ames, Iowa?

in a side by side comparison, yes, the Iowa State job is better than the SJU job. However, I would assume Matt views the St. Johns job as one where he can have a much bigger impact on the program than he does here. And frankly, I would agree with that.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

I expect Matt to leave for STJ. Would be a loss for isu but he needs to do what he thinks is best for him. Sure it's a hard decision for him either way.

Only thing I'd be upset about is if he brings Diallo to St. John's as that would tell me Diallo would have come here otherwise.

SighClone23

Sep 11, 2013

I expect Matt to leave for STJ. Would be a loss for isu but he needs to do what he thinks is best for him. Sure it's a hard decision for him either way.

Only thing I'd be upset about is if he brings Diallo to St. John's as that would tell me Diallo would have come here otherwise.

Agree that Matt is probably gone. And to me, that takes us from being the front runner for Diallo to having, essentially, no chance. So honestly, I'd rather he ends up at St. Johns with Matt than defecting to Kansas.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron