Better Call Saul

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
We'll definitely be watching. I don't think it could ever be expected to match BB, but it could still be very good. Starts in February?

breaking-bad-gif-saul-goodman-1531511.gif

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If Mike is in it I'll definitely give it a shot. He may have been my favorite BB character.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Picking Bob Odenkirk as Saul might be one of the greatest casting decisions ever made. It's an absolutely perfect fit, and I can't think of anyone else who'd come even close to making that role work.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Picking Bob Odenkirk as Saul might be one of the greatest casting decisions ever made. It's an absolutely perfect fit, and I can't think of anyone else who'd come even close to making that role work.

It's such a departure from Mr. Show for him, but he's just so fantastic as Saul. I love Odenkirk. I'd be curious if some of his comedy buddies come on as guest stars.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think the marketing dept for the show should put Saul advertisements on random city bus benches.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
"Gilligan recently revealed that he envisions Better Call Saul as an hour-long drama versus a half-hour series. Odenkirk has also echoed that sentiment, hinting that the vision for the show is relatively "dark," despite the comic relief Goodman frequently offered in his Breaking Bad role."

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Looking forward to this. Someone please bump this thread before it actually starts or I'll forget to watch.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
If Mike is in it I'll definitely give it a shot. He may have been my favorite BB character.

Agree completely. Probably my favorite character as well and I've heard he plays a fairly major role in the new series. I'm keeping my expectations low though and want to avoid comparing the new show to Breaking Bad. I'm sure there will be similarities but I'm gonna try and approach Better Call Saul as a seperate entity entirely. Comparing anything to Breaking Bad can only end in disappointment for me.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
When his character was introduced on Breaking Bad my initial reaction was...this just cheapened the show. Soon he became my favorite on the show. That being said, I have no expectations for Better Call Saul.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
This show may never be as good as BB, but it doesn't need to be. Every person who watched BB will watch this show...at least to start. If I had a guess it will start just as slow as BB and that is ok. BB's first season numbers were horrendous and if it wasn't for Netflix it may not have ever lasted as long as it did. Because of the success, AMC will have a huge following for this show and it will go on for as long as Vince and AMC want it to.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
This show may never be as good as BB, but it doesn't need to be. Every person who watched BB will watch this show...at least to start. If I had a guess it will start just as slow as BB and that is ok. BB's first season numbers were horrendous and if it wasn't for Netflix it may not have ever lasted as long as it did. Because of the success, AMC will have a huge following for this show and it will go on for as long as Vince and AMC want it to.

I hope you're talking about viewership and not the actual plot, because I can't think of any show that dove into the action as quickly as BB did. I mean, the guy was making meth in an RV and killing people who were trying to kill him at the end of the first episode.

I've had several people tell me that they tried watching the first few episodes of BB but just couldn't keep interested after that. I honestly have no idea how that's possible...those first episodes have the most gripping, addicting television I've ever seen. I couldn't stop watching after that.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
No I meant the show. There were some definite lulls in the first season(clearly not the first episode) and I can see where people got disinterested. I was hooked but most people were not. The ratings were awful until season five. Hell there were whole episode lulls in the first three seasons. The episode of a fly flying around in a meth lab for a whole hour drove me insane...and that was season three!

Clearly that is speculation on my part, but Vince isn't the kind of writer that is just going to give episode after episode of explosive material right away. He had to towards the end but not the first four seasons.