Just how good is NDSU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Instead of jumping on the "Fire everybody" bandwagon, I ask: just how good is NDSU? Could they be an upper division Power 5 team? Would they be ranked? For 40 minutes today, they looked like it.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Instead of jumping on the "Fire everybody" bandwagon, I ask: just how good is NDSU? Could they be an upper division Power 5 team? Would they be ranked? For 40 minutes today, they looked like it.
No, they aren't that good. We dominated the first 17 minutes then just gave up. Guarantee you the only teams they would beat in the Big 12 are us and Kansas this year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No, they aren't that good. We dominated the first 17 minutes then just gave up. Guarantee you the only teams they would beat in the Big 12 are us and Kansas this year.

Yeah, I don't think they would finish better than 8th or 9th in the Big 12.

Thing is, they don't do anything difficult to defend at all. Most decent teams would stuff their run, and then when forced to throw, they would be in trouble.

We just could never force them to throw. Even though we knew exactly what was coming. That is just imposing your will on someone folks and it isn't pretty.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Agreed. NDSU is a good FCS team. However they would only beat us and Kansas in the Big 12.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Here's my opinion of NDSU:

Offense - Wentz is nothing special. He looked pretty meh to be honest today. While their running looked good, our defense opened up too many holes and let them run it down our throats. Overall, that offense of theirs is nothing to get excited about.

Defense - it's hard to tell since Richardson is our quarterback and doesn't know what he's doing. Does Rohach get some snaps next week? I hope so since SBR I don't think is the better of the two.

overall, I would say they would go 4-8 against our schedule beating us, Toledo, WVU, and Kansas. Sad part is I think we are in for a 2-10 year.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Here's my opinion of NDSU:

Offense - Wentz is nothing special. He looked pretty meh to be honest today. While their running looked good, our defense opened up too many holes and let them run it down our throats. Overall, that offense of theirs is nothing to get excited about.

Defense - it's hard to tell since Richardson is our quarterback and doesn't know what he's doing. Does Rohach get some snaps next week? I hope so since SBR I don't think is the better of the two.

overall, I would say they would go 4-8 against our schedule beating us, Toledo, WVU, and Kansas. Sad part is I think we are in for a 2-10 year.

This is wrong, he did well today.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I ask: just how good is NDSU? Could they be an upper division Power 5 team? Would they be ranked?

Depends...are we taking them as is, or giving them an additional 22 scholarships to be at the FBS level?

SheldonCooper

May 30, 2014
It is highly unlikely, just based on returning personnel, that they're as good as they've been for the last three years, when they were likely around 35-45 in terms of where they would rank among all D1 teams. I highly doubt that they're any better than a top-tier MAC team like Ball St or Toledo.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They are average. We are now below average. Half their players are from the oil fields. They just have a better system than we do.

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ams-should-stop-scheduling-north-dakota-state

Honestly a top 50 FBS program. (Sagarin ranking was 17 at end of last year and 45 right now)

NDSU has a system and the players buy into it 100% & some kids have the (I didn't go fbs chip) on thier shoulders.

Others are getting 50% or 75% scholarships and that's huge motivation to get better and earn a full.

Those are a couple reasons

Last edited: