Just how good is NDSU?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The good news is, I think losing to NDSU probably holds more water than losing to ISU.

It's not a matter of how good are they, but how bad are we.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not very good. Not even as good as UNI a year ago. Low to mid-level MAC team IMO.

They did help get Turner Gill fired, but before you get your hopes up, we do not have the boosters KU has.

They're better than a low to mid-level MAC team. They've proven that the last few years, I think they would win 3 or 4 games in the B12. They've beat us, K-State and Kansas the last few years, all on the road. Texas Tech, TCU and West Virginia would all be winnable games for them as well.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
They're better than a low to mid-level MAC team. They've proven that the last few years, I think they would win 3 or 4 games in the B12. They've beat us, K-State and Kansas the last few years, all on the road. Texas Tech, TCU and West Virginia would all be winnable games for them as well.
Lakes?

You mean that 6-3 win against a KU squad that only beat CU (no longer in conference) and in their first season going from Mangino to Gill? You mean beating an ISU squad looking to go winless on the year?
Did you even watch their game against KSU? It was a good job capitalizing on KSU packing up shop after getting up by two TDs. It is something a bad Eastern Kentucky team could not do when KSU used a last minute TD to beat EKU 10-7 in 2011. Then again, KSU was better in 2011.
Hell, UNI has looked better to the eye in the past 20 years.

This reminds me of the talk about TCU and WVU coming in and contending for the Big 12. TCU was and is a vastly better program than NDSU could even dream of being and how did that work out? In their best year, whatever year you want to pick, they win two games tops. Within a few years of getting hammered, they likely go winless.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lakes?

You mean that 6-3 win against a KU squad that only beat CU (no longer in conference) and in their first season going from Mangino to Gill? You mean beating an ISU squad looking to go winless on the year?
Did you even watch their game against KSU? It was a good job capitalizing on KSU packing up shop after getting up by two TDs. It is something a bad Eastern Kentucky team could not do when KSU used a last minute TD to beat EKU 10-7 in 2011. Then again, KSU was better in 2011.

This reminds me of the talk about TCU and WVU coming in and contending for the Big 12. TCU was and is a vastly better program than NDSU could even dream of being and how did that work out? In their best year, whatever year you want to pick, they win two games tops. Within a few years of getting hammered, they likely go winless.

So basically what we do year in and year out.

tjamz

Aug 8, 2014
They are average. We are now below average. Half their players are from the oil fields. They just have a better system than we do.

What? Yes, we have ND kids from western ND (other side of the state from Fargo) but the vast majority of the ND kids on the team (if not all) grew up in ND.

tjamz

Aug 8, 2014
Not very good. Not even as good as UNI a year ago. Low to mid-level MAC team IMO.

They did help get Turner Gill fired, but before you get your hopes up, we do not have the boosters KU has.

First, I know that you aren't impressed with NDSU or maybe it's that you're more upset with ISU losing to another FCS. I get that. I really do. But let's say NDSU continues to improve and makes another run at the FCS National Championship. If that happens does your opinion of NDSU change? Are they just a "meh" team? What if they light up UNI (whom I believe you hold very highly) are they still a not very good team?

I get that we aren't a Big12 team. I get that our schedule is easier than yours. But in spite of all of that, isn't it possible that NDSU has a damn good program despite being in a lower level? UNI, SDST, USD and several other FCS schools recruit the same footprint essentially, yet only one of them has more national championships than losses in the past 3 years. Only one of them has a 5 game winning streak against FBS opponents. Only one of them holds the FCS consecutive wins record.

NDSU's program is more like an FBS program than most others. We truly do re-load from year to year. Since 1964 we've had a losing record only 3 times. We've won national championships at every level we've played and with a number of different coaches (11 championships with 6 coaches).

Now, am I saying NDSU is the best thing since sliced bread? No. But the level of disrespect we hear from fans after we beat them annoys the **** out of me. What annoys me even worse than the disrespect of NDSU is how their fans disrespect their own program after losing to them. I like ISU. I'm glad they gave NDSU a chance to plan up a level twice now. I wish your program nothing but the best going forward.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Lakes?

So last year, they already beat K-State on the road, you're telling me they're not stealing two more games out of ISU, Kansas, West Virginia and TCU or Tech? I'm not buying it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
First, I know that you aren't impressed with NDSU or maybe it's that you're more upset with ISU losing to another FCS. I get that. I really do. But let's say NDSU continues to improve and makes another run at the FCS National Championship. If that happens does your opinion of NDSU change? Are they just a "meh" team? What if they light up UNI (whom I believe you hold very highly) are they still a not very good team?

I get that we aren't a Big12 team. I get that our schedule is easier than yours. But in spite of all of that, isn't it possible that NDSU has a damn good program despite being in a lower level? UNI, SDST, USD and several other FCS schools recruit the same footprint essentially, yet only one of them has more national championships than losses in the past 3 years. Only one of them has a 5 game winning streak against FBS opponents. Only one of them holds the FCS consecutive wins record.

NDSU's program is more like an FBS program than most others. We truly do re-load from year to year. Since 1964 we've had a losing record only 3 times. We've won national championships at every level we've played and with a number of different coaches (11 championships with 6 coaches).

Now, am I saying NDSU is the best thing since sliced bread? No. But the level of disrespect we hear from fans after we beat them annoys the **** out of me. What annoys me even worse than the disrespect of NDSU is how their fans disrespect their own program after losing to them. I like ISU. I'm glad they gave NDSU a chance to plan up a level twice now. I wish your program nothing but the best going forward.

I can respect your program and what you guys have accomplished. Bravo, if I was a fan of NDSU you damn well better believe I would toot my horn, but comparing the two programs is apples to oranges. We play top teams in the country week in and week out, you don't. You play god knows who directional SD/ND/Montana schools. And thats what it is I am not taking away from you anything you have accomplished but its different up here.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
They are pretty darn good. There running backs are big and strong, and their QB played a very good game, had several very nice throws, including a very long pass downfield that was perfect. The NDSU defense was pretty impressive, tough and disciplined. Not really happy with the way the defense all fell down a couple times, or that the ISU offense took 3/4 off, but NDSU is still a pretty solid team, and very well coached.

ISU1294

Apr 29, 2011
Give NDSU a Big12 schedule and they win 12 games in the next 5 years tops. Its nice for FCS teams to play just one BCS school a year but things would not go well if they had to go through 12 games vs that kind of talent. Just look at TCU and WVU moving to the Big12, and they were actual Division I teams.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
We are definitely a more athletic and talented team, IMO, yesterday and probably most days they are a better team. They don't have anywhere near Big 12 talent but they are disciplined, confident, hard-working, and ridiculously fundamentally sound. Any team that has all those things makes up for talent deficiencies, especially when the opponent they are facing isn't ridiculously talented and has players playing out of position and with poor fundamentals.

I personally think NDSU would be a bowl eligible team in the Big 12 this season and each of the last three seasons. Maybe not win anymore than 6 or 7 games, but that's a lot better than some are giving them credit for.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Give NDSU a Big12 schedule and they win 12 games in the next 5 years tops. Its nice for FCS teams to play just one BCS school a year but things would not go well if they had to go through 12 games vs that kind of talent. Just look at TCU and WVU moving to the Big12, and they were actual Division I teams.

We are definitely a more athletic and talented team, IMO, yesterday and probably most days they are a better team. They don't have anywhere near Big 12 talent but they are disciplined, confident, hard-working, and ridiculously fundamentally sound. Any team that has all those things makes up for talent deficiencies, especially when the opponent they are facing isn't ridiculously talented and has players playing out of position and with poor fundamentals.

I personally think NDSU would be a bowl eligible team in the Big 12 this season and each of the last three seasons. Maybe not win anymore than 6 or 7 games, but that's a lot better than some are giving them credit for.

So they would be better than us but we are the better team?

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Just like Texas A+M is just as good without Manzeil the more I think of it the more I think NDSU doesn't really miss their depareted players. The replacement players went up against them every day in practice, are playing next to guys who know nothing but national championships, and again like A+M the losses probably meant literally nothing the new guys are just as good. They likely could have gone into Manhattan and won with that team again. It was their superbowl. Meanwhile ISU thought the game was over up 14-0.

tjamz

Aug 8, 2014
Just like Texas A+M is just as good without Manzeil the more I think of it the more I think NDSU doesn't really miss their depareted players. The replacement players went up against them every day in practice, are playing next to guys who know nothing but national championships, and again like A+M the losses probably meant literally nothing the new guys are just as good.

This team isn't as good (yet) as last years team was at this point of the season, they are pretty close to our 2012 team though.

They likely could have gone into Manhattan and won with that team again. It was their superbowl. Meanwhile ISU thought the game was over up 14-0.

I hear the "superbowl" reference a lot, really it wasn't though. If it were the team would have had a fall off after the KSU game. Don't get me wrong, it's a HUGE accomplishment beating any FBS team and they are certainly not going into these expecting to lose/get blown out so yes, they do pump themselves up for a big stage... but every player that I've talked with from the previous years teams (our QB, RB, CB, LT, etc...) have all said that beating KSU was just part of the piece of the puzzle on their ultimate goal of having a perfect season. The goal was winning a national title. This team feels they can play with anyone and beat most. That is the tradition of NDSU athletics, especially football. The coaches, players, fans, donors, state expect to win every game.

scottsdaleping

Aug 21, 2014
you just figured it out, we run the ball down EVERYONES throat including the 8/11 FBS teams we have beaten. we had a deadful team in 09 (3-8) and lost by 14 or so. if you recall, our QB scored on a keeper, lost ball in end zone and b/12 refs ruled fumble-14 pt swing right there.

the 2 losses in nearly 50 game were intercepts and 1 fumble. crap happens !!! as you said, you see it coming and don't/cant stop it. clock control? we had ball 20 of 30 min in second half. the slow start was nerves not ISU domination.

you have great fans, they were as gracious in defeat as they were in 2009 win. your players all suck, most walked off pouting and wouldn't even handshake. hats off to the few that did. thx again