Seem fishy to anyone else?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ncaa-lifts-oklahoma-state-cowboys-apr-penalty

"The university announced Tuesday that the NCAA has lifted the Cowboys' Academic Progress Rate penalty after school officials discovered the recent graduation of a football player from the 1990s. The addition of the delayed graduation pushed Oklahoma State above the NCAA's minimum standard rate of 930.

Oklahoma State did not release the identity of the graduated former player."

something stinks... at least they had only lost practice time so it is small in the big picture but still... fishy

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
I'm guessing the player in question doesn't even know he graduated (or didn't until he got his diploma and a zero balance tuition bill in the mail). Even odds says OkSU went back through old academic status reports, found some guy who was within a summer of graduating, administratively re-enrolled him, CLEP'ed him through the necessary credits, and viola, extra graduate.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Okie State would have to be stupid to risk getting in trouble for something else. It's probably legit.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
All this shows is that the NCAA IS A JOKE and everyone knows it. Except those collecting six figure pay checks from them. I thought that this supposed rule looked at the last 5 years of graduation so someone from the 1990's would make no difference.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm guessing the player in question doesn't even know he graduated (or didn't until he got his diploma and a zero balance tuition bill in the mail). Even odds says OkSU went back through old academic status reports, found some guy who was within a summer of graduating, administratively re-enrolled him, CLEP'ed him through the necessary credits, and viola, extra graduate.

You seem eerily familiar with the process...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Are we sure it was a graduating player who actually played in the 90's and wasn't just a player who was eligible to play in the 90's? Because Brandon Weeden fits that bill.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
That is a terrible loophole that you can count athletes from a decade ago. One of the blue blood MBB programs (Carolina or Kentucky, can
t remember) was hiding behind that a couple of years ago. They were having players "graduate" many years after playing time was over. I can see giving an athlete a year or two to finish but that is about it.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
That is a terrible loophole that you can count athletes from a decade ago. One of the blue blood MBB programs (Carolina or Kentucky, can
t remember) was hiding behind that a couple of years ago. They were having players "graduate" many years after playing time was over. I can see giving an athlete a year or two to finish but that is about it.

Former players should always have an open door to come back and graduate, within the same rules as other non-traditional students, but it shouldn't count toward current program eligibility.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
From the NCAA Bylaws;

Beginning fall 2007, the APR was based on four years of data for most institutions (i.e., 2003-04,

2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07). Every year thereafter, the most current year's data will be added and the oldest year of data will be removed, creating a four-year rolling rate.

Rate Conversion for Final APR–Semester Schools

Translating the scores from decimals to whole numbers aids in the understanding and

interpretability of scores. This translation does not alter the meaning of the scores; rather, it puts
the scores in terms that are more understandable.
In order to achieve final APR for semester schools, raw APR are multiplied by 1,000.

Example:
Raw APR of .97 x 1,000 = 970 final APR

Multiyear APR

The APR is comprised of four years of APR data, resulting in a multiyear rate. Each year, the

most current year's data will be added and the oldest year of data will be removed, creating a four-year rolling rate. The APR is used to demonstrate academic performance of all Division I teams. In addition, it is used to determine what teams are subject to penalties and rewards within the APP structure. The APR also serves as a point of academic access to postseason competition.

(Revised:10/11; Effective: 10/11)

Not sure how Okie lite can get this kind of ruling based on the above bylaw excerpt.

cydoge

Nov 14, 2013
Ankeny
Is such a thing even possible?

yesitis2.gif

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hell's bells, they sent him a graduation diploma in Mar. What is the problem? They just had to keep checking their books for twenty years.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I think we need to compile a list of former players who didn't graduate but played their Junior or Senior year dating back to the 70s... that way we can help ISU get out of APR trouble in the future if needed.

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
From the NCAA Bylaws;

Beginning fall 2007, the APR was based on four years of data for most institutions (i.e., 2003-04,

2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07). Every year thereafter, the most current year's data will be added and the oldest year of data will be removed, creating a four-year rolling rate.

Rate Conversion for Final APR–Semester Schools

Translating the scores from decimals to whole numbers aids in the understanding and

interpretability of scores. This translation does not alter the meaning of the scores; rather, it puts
the scores in terms that are more understandable.
In order to achieve final APR for semester schools, raw APR are multiplied by 1,000.

Example:
Raw APR of .97 x 1,000 = 970 final APR

Multiyear APR

The APR is comprised of four years of APR data, resulting in a multiyear rate. Each year, the

most current year's data will be added and the oldest year of data will be removed, creating a four-year rolling rate. The APR is used to demonstrate academic performance of all Division I teams. In addition, it is used to determine what teams are subject to penalties and rewards within the APP structure. The APR also serves as a point of academic access to postseason competition.

(Revised:10/11; Effective: 10/11)

Not sure how Okie lite can get this kind of ruling based on the above bylaw excerpt.
apr-jpg.31434