Random thoughts thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Don't you just love it when you watch a YouTube video or a tv show or sonething before you go to sleep, but its about something ****ed up as hell? Goodbye sleep, like I was going to get some anyways

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I keep thinking back to last year's ice bowl with Kansas. Freaking cold but one of the most memorable experiences I'll ever have tailgating/games at JTS.

No coolers necessary... we just threw all the booze in the snow pile. Even then sometimes we had to take it over to the heaters/fire to thaw some of it out! While playing flippy cup, part of the beer would freeze in the cup before you could drink it... and the table was covered in beer ice/slush. I think we perfected the art of taking the glove off quickly to flip and get it back on without losing fingers. Everyone still partied it up like we would at 70 and sunshine just with a few more layers. My cousin from Missouri got a good taste of what tailgating is all about up at JTS even though the lots were 1/5 of normal.

As for the game, I had sideline passes for the two of us. Awesome. Field was just as immaculate even tho the area from numbers to sidelines was caked in ice. Watching Kansas fall down on their ***** a lot. Celebrating with ShonJohn (Avatar) not once but twice (one called back for penalty) and getting it on video as it happened. Priceless. Talking with the umpire in one of the commercial breaks, which wasn't even his coldest game he'd called before. Real down to earth guy. Catching a warmup in the box with a little snack time at half. Boom!

Overall just an awesome time that I'll never forget.

Not a bad random thought in my mind.

Last edited:

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Do children ever stop being scary/cool? :wink: Z let go of what she was standing by last night, kept her balance for a moment laughed and put her hands back on it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Do children ever stop being scary/cool? :wink: Z let go of what she was standing by last night, kept her balance for a moment laughed and put her hands back on it.

Ohhhhh, mama...you are this close to having to chase that little chickadee all over creation - fun times! Better start stretching, now!

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
World War 3 is starting!!!!

No, wait. It's just an insanely loud Flash Flood Warning on my iPhone.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Seeing all these tweets about incoming freshmen all excited to start college and stuff. I remember when I was young and naive.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Last summer a jackwagon didn't have his load secured, goes over a bump and dumps an enormous amount of rock on my car. Cracked windshield and pelted hood. I called the Polk County Sheriff and reported unsecured load and followed the truck to the school construction site by Alleman and watched as he quickly unloaded before the cops showed up. We exchanged words. Many words. In the end, the drove away sans ticket. My hate for gravel trucks and dump trucks in general that are rolling accidents is a deep, deep, seething hate.

I actually called the department of vehicle enforcement today, and they put me through to the officer that patrols that stretch of 35. He was quite receptive, and said he would put out a memo, and increase his enforcement of making sure drivers were covering their loads. He would also alert them at the weigh station as well.

Iguess I can get get some sort of sense of satisfaction..... however I'm sure I'll see it again next week.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I actually called the department of vehicle enforcement today, and they put me through to the officer that patrols that stretch of 35. He was quite receptive, and said he would put out a memo, and increase his enforcement of making sure drivers were covering their loads. He would also alert them at the weigh station as well.

Iguess I can get get some sort of sense of satisfaction..... however I'm sure I'll see it again next week.
What's even worse is when they load some sort of heavy equipment onto a flat trailer and there is all sorts of mud and gravel on the treads. Then they drive down the highway with dried mud and gravel bouncing into the traffic behind them. I was behind one on the motorcycle and I pulled over onto the shoulder and waited a few minutes to give them ample time to get away. There was no way I was going to try and get close enough to attempt to pass with all the junk bouncing around behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.