Honeymoon Excursion Idea?

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Well, I bit the bullet and finally booked my honeymoon today. We are going to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun for 6 nights.

However, I have the attention span of a squirrel and won't be one that enjoys just spending endless hours sitting on the beach or pool... so I need ideas from those who have vacationed in this area for things we have to do while there and things to avoid (not cool, cost too much for what you do, etc.)

TIA

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
We went to Secrets Maroma Beach just down the coast for our honeymoon. We took a bus tour into Cancun to see the shops and Senor Frogs.

But that is about all the help I have for you as we stayed around the resort drinking and playing volleyball.

Edit: I lied, we took a kayak tour out into the Caribbean one day also. Our resort had a stand on the beach that had a couple different activities to do.

May 8, 2010
When I went a couple years back we did a day trip to Chichen Itza (just took a bus with some tour group) which was pretty cool. The ruins were amazing and learning some of the background on all that was interesting. They also have this waterhole that you can swim in which was fun.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
We went to Secrets in the DR. If your resort is similar to ours, you will love it. Food was great, and everything on the resort was awesome.

I am sure it can be completely different where you are but we went on a dune buggy excursion that was a waste of time. Rode around on dirt roads on a slow dune buggy, not fun.

We had a good time para-sailing and snorkeling. There was plenty to do on the beach at our resort (kayaking, paddle-boarding, volleyball, etc) that we kept pretty busy while we were there. The excursions always take longer than you think because someone is late, something doesn't start right, you have a long bus ride to get there, etc. so they end up taking most of a day up. I would only do 2 days of excursions because of that.

We enjoyed walking up and down the beach, looking at the different resorts and stuff. We would sometimes walk up to an hour one way just because it was fun seeing everything going on at the beach and looking at the resorts.

Have fun!

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
We did a jungle tour in March when we were in Cancun that was pretty fun. Got to drive ATVs through the jungle, zipline, saw some Mayan ruins and swam/dove in a cenote. We just went to the concierge desk at our resort and they lined everything up, including private transfers to and from the resort.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
It's a ways south of Cancun, but we went to Xel Ha - eco waterpark kinda thing. We stayed at Playa Del Carmen about an hour south of Cancun and this was probably another hour, maybe less. But an easy drive with a one day rental.

Ruins of Telum aren't too far away from there either, maybe 15 mins IIRC. I'd guess there may be buses that run down there as well.

We also did a ferry across to Cozumel. Ehh. But we went really late in the day and didn't have much time to really get around.

lakesbison

Jul 14, 2009
Chichen-itza was pretty cool. 2 1/2 hour bus ride for you. But you get to swim here it's amazing

Chichen-Itza-pool-3.jpg

isla majerus is a 5 minute ferry ride across from cancun. Love that place. Do a sail with your lady there lay on north beach. It's awesome.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I have a short attention span too. That's why I will never go on a Caribbean vacation. I prefer a driven tour of Europe but that's just me.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's a ways south of Cancun, but we went to Xel Ha - eco waterpark kinda thing. We stayed at Playa Del Carmen about an hour south of Cancun and this was probably another hour, maybe less. But an easy drive with a one day rental.

I saved a kid from drowning at Xel-Ha. He said he owed me his first born child (He must have been around 20 years old at the time).

He didn't know how to swim and decided to go off one of the cliff jumps. Nobody else was wearing life jackets so he didn't either. He threw his down in the water before jumping thinking he would just land on it. The kid sank like a rock and I was next in line so had to dive in after him as there are no lifeguards or anything like that.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Granted this was 10 years ago, but we were on that strip between cancun and playa del carmen as well, we took a bus to playa and wasted a day between walking the shops in central playa del carmen and taking a ferry over to Cozumel and walking around.

*edit: Which is worth mentioning, your resort, if it's all inclusive, likely has a concierge that will help you book things, and talk to you about what you like to do.

Which reminds me of the other thing we booked thru our concierge, the pirate ship snorkel trip. You boozed between stops, then snorkelled different places. I wear glasses (can't wear contacts) and couldn't get the mask to not leak, so I ended up staying in the boat with the crew feeding me booze...let's just say between the rocking of the ocean, and the amount of booze I put down while everyone else was snorkelling, I didn't have very good 'land legs' when we got back to shore.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We went to Secrets Maroma Beach just down the coast for our honeymoon. We took a bus tour into Cancun to see the shops and Senor Frogs.

But that is about all the help I have for you as we stayed around the resort drinking and playing volleyball.

Edit: I lied, we took a kayak tour out into the Caribbean one day also. Our resort had a stand on the beach that had a couple different activities to do.

add reading on the beach and that's pretty much 95% of our trip to Negril last year. And I LOVED it.

If you are close to good snorkeling, I would do that and Chichen Itza, but I like old cool stuff. Don't overschedule yourself too much; it's nice to wake up realizing there is nothing you have to do for the day :)

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
go for a lot of long walks alone on the beach so you can check out the topless euro babes.