Quarterback Situation

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
For anyone who may care, I have heard from multiple people inside of the football program that the quarterback depth chart going into fall looks like:
1. Rohach
2. Lanning
3. Richardson

Rohach is pretty far ahead at this point, and will most likely wrap up the starting job within the first few weeks of fall camp.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Glad to hear Rohach is locking up the job. Very surprised Lanning passed Sam.

I wonder if his confidence is still shaken from last year. It's really too bad, I always thought he had a lot of potential.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Not sure how many starts Sam has, I'll guess around 10, but if Lanning is able to pass him with the no game experience he must be really improving.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Not sure how many starts Sam has, I'll guess around 10, but if Lanning is able to pass him with the no game experience he must be really improving.

I would expect that Sam will move on if he is passed over by Lanning. I really liked Sam, but he seems to have lost it. Had a lot of tough breaks.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I'm rooting for Sam personally. When healthy I think he's more accurate, he's tough and he's a leader. Not saying Rohach isn't but I'd like to see what Sam can do fully healthy behind a healthy and more experienced line.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
For anyone who may care, I have heard from multiple people inside of the football program that the quarterback depth chart going into fall looks like:
1. Rohach
2. Lanning
3. Richardson

Rohach is pretty far ahead at this point, and will most likely wrap up the starting job within the first few weeks of fall camp.

Want the best quarterback to play and I'm not at practice but I would have a tough time believing this based on game play. Richardson played the much tougher schedule and when not hurt played well. Rohach was too inaccurate like the spring game even though he beat some bad teams at the end.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I find it hard to believe that Sam is not above Lanning. Not saying he is an All American, but when healthy he was fairly productive. Lanning has zero game experience, which is pretty critical as far as I am concerned.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wonder if the coaching staff isn't just trying to light a fire under Sam?

I cannot for the life of me believe that if Rohach had to come out of the first game for some reason, that Lanning would be put in. I just don't believe that. It could be true, I just kinda doubt it.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Strangely enough, I believe with clonedude. IMO, Lanning would have to be quite a bit better than he was in the spring game to be ahead of Sam. Either that or they think Lanning's a good enough runner and our o-line is good enough that they can go pretty run heavy this season.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
What I don't understand is two years ago Jantz & Barnett were injured, ineffective, turning the ball over, or whatever else. Finally Jantz is hurt and Richardson gets his chance and does well to end the season. Last year Richardson starts and is injured (so we are told) and he still starts. We are told this is because GR is not ready. This is, mind you, the 2nd string QB. To me it seems inexcusable for a #2 QB not to be game ready. Even the 3rd team to a lesser extent should be at least capable of going in, for a few series. After all Ia State beat a pretty darn good Nebby team with a 5th string QB for crying outloud.

Now the season is long over and all we are told is that he was more injured than what was let on. If he was that injured how can he give the team the best chance of winning over the 2nd teamer? Was he that confused with the playbook? When finally replaced with GR he did fine. Now GR is #1 and SR is not even number 2, that don't add up.

I know how there is a bunch on here that want to rip on anything, so I will point out in advance that I am not a Debbie Downer on the football team. I have been hopeful for the last couple years that improvement from the offensive squad could make a lot of difference. I knew this was needed to possibly replace, not 1, but 2 NFL LBs. Needless to say it did not happen.

Now again heading into another season, I feel the offense must be improved. But I still do not understand this situation with the QBs at all. I will still have hope that a revival in the offense could have surprising results. Not wanting a coaching change BUT I do not understand the QB situation and would like to hear some straight talk from someone.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
What I don't understand is two years ago Jantz & Barnett were injured, ineffective, turning the ball over, or whatever else. Finally Jantz is hurt and Richardson gets his chance and does well to end the season. Last year Richardson starts and is injured (so we are told) and he still starts. We are told this is because GR is not ready. This is, mind you, the 2nd string QB. To me it seems inexcusable for a #2 QB not to be game ready. Even the 3rd team to a lesser extent should be at least capable of going in, for a few series. After all Ia State beat a pretty darn good Nebby team with a 5th string QB for crying outloud.

Now the season is long over and all we are told is that he was more injured than what was let on. If he was that injured how can he give the team the best chance of winning over the 2nd teamer? Was he that confused with the playbook? When finally replaced with GR he did fine. Now GR is #1 and SR is not even number 2, that don't add up.

I know how there is a bunch on here that want to rip on anything, so I will point out in advance that I am not a Debbie Downer on the football team. I have been hopeful for the last couple years that improvement from the offensive squad could make a lot of difference. I knew this was needed to possibly replace, not 1, but 2 NFL LBs. Needless to say it did not happen.

Now again heading into another season, I feel the offense must be improved. But I still do not understand this situation with the QBs at all. I will still have hope that a revival in the offense could have surprising results. Not wanting a coaching change BUT I do not understand the QB situation and would like to hear some straight talk from someone.

How about Sam lost his confidence last year and was never that great to begin with and Joel has been practising well and got better? It's surprising that Sam is third, but it hardly seems like an unsolvable mystery.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
How about Sam lost his confidence last year and was never that great to begin with and Joel has been practising well and got better? It's surprising that Sam is third, but it hardly seems like an unsolvable mystery.

Just the Player of the Year in central FLORIDA. Nope, he's not that good to begin with.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Are you talking talent, or just the run around?

Talent wise, ISU hasn't had a really solid D1 quarterback since 2002. SJ did have a decent arm though.

The run around--some of them have looked decent when they've had time and a running game, even some heroic moments/games. But even so, I'm usually sort of amazed at just how much quicker of a release most QB's have than what ISU's have, and how much more efficient a QB can look if the offense has just a smidge of an identity, and a few strong points to build off of. It becomes an issue when there's not someone you can rely on to be effective at all times, which I think has led to the change up so often.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Are you talking talent, or just the run around?

Talent wise, ISU hasn't had a really solid D1 quarterback since 2002. SJ did have a decent arm though.

The run around--some of them have looked decent when they've had time and a running game, even some heroic moments/games. But even so, I'm usually sort of amazed at just how much quicker of a release most QB's have than what ISU's have, and how much more efficient a QB can look if the offense has just a smidge of an identity, and a few strong points to build off of. It becomes an issue when there's not someone you can rely on to be effective at all times, which I think has led to the change up so often.

The change up at QB has occurred because our OL gets consistently blown up, or when we actually had a Big 12 talent level OL, they would false start 5 times a game and get our offense into a predictable passing down. Outside of ARob we haven't had an effective running game (again see OL) for years, which doesn't help our QB at all. Throw in a rookie OC, an injured OL last year and there is the result. Some of you think it starts with the QB. When I hear that, I know that person has never played football. It all starts with the OL. That, from an old QB. Easy to make comparisons to Seneca. He was not just good, he was a rare, special talent. Good grief, if he goes to K State level team, he would have won the Heisman.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

GR was injured, too, but the staff didn't want to disclose that for whatever reason. And yes, Sam was injured, too. perhaps worse than what those outside the team knew. GR would have played if healthy at that time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron