Whats your major in?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I'm a senior in High School and going to Iowa State next year. All anyone asks me is "What are you going to school for?". I have no idea. So I was wondering, if you went to college what's your major in? What did you end up doing? If you didn't go to college, what did you do? I'm just trying to see what people did and what's out there.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well before the enginerds come in, I will say I have fully enjoyed my experience as a business major (MIS to be specific) and wouldn't think of doing anything else.

MIS in particular has the highest job placement in the College of Business and the highest number of offers per graduate in the university (barely squeaking out one of the engineering)

BUSINESS 4 LIFE

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Animal Science

Probably going into farm management. If you want job security, choose an ag related major. #AG4LIFE

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm currently a sophomore in history and secondary education. Study something you'll enjoy, but also make sure there are jobs in it. For example, my history degree wouldn't be very useful for anything besides grad school if I wasn't getting my teaching license with it.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
My opinion of course, but you shouldn't be going to a 4 year university if you have no idea what you want to study. The good thing about going to CC in Iowa is most of the credits transfer to the state schools.
To answer the OP, mechanical engineering for me. On a co-op atm and graduating next May.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
At varying times while at Iowa State, I've tried four majors. I enjoy what I landed on but the job prospects are weak. I'm graduating in a couple weeks and planning to continue my education with another degree. I'm probably not a good person to ask.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Started my college career majoring in Industrial Technology.
After my Freshman year, switched to Kinesiology and Health.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
And I bet you are outstanding in your field...

damn-straight-43659033712.jpeg

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
My opinion of course, but you shouldn't be going to a 4 year university if you have no idea what you want to study. The good thing about going to CC in Iowa is most of the credits transfer to the state schools.
To answer the OP, mechanical engineering for me. Graduating next May.

Yea, I was thinking this as well but if you're in state and you have a good scholarship I would rather go to ISU to try various classes that are offered vs just Gen Eds at Kirkwood or DMACC.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Finance. It's alright. If I were going to college with the knowledge, interests, & passions I have now, I'd most likely do something else. Do something you really care about, within reason. Don't go get a degree in basket weaving but also don't just go for what you think will make you bank.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
To answer the OP, mechanical engineering for me. On a co-op atm and graduating next May.
This is correct. I have two degrees just because I felt like I had to go to college.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I have a completely different opinion on this. If you don't know what you want to do a four year school will give you more opportunities than a two year school to explore a variety of fields and programs. The problem is it costs more money.

Not trying to get into an argument. Just thought the OP should see both sides of the argument.