Has this week's Poll Attacks been posted? This is getting crazy.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
What the hell is wrong with some of these voters? Mike Barber needs his vote taken away. And now. I can't even fathom any justification for this.

Poll Attacks: Why attack Seth when there's somebody worse? - CBSSports.com
As long as we "take care of business" (I'd like to see us go AT LEAST 3-1 the rest of the way), I don't really care much about the pollsters. I think the NCAA selection committee would give us the appropriate seeding based upon our body of work. If anything, the fact that some are "undervaluing" us can, perhaps, provide even more motivation to our team for its remaining schedule.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
I appreciate the positive ISU pub, but really we could find many examples of this in both major sports for the AP poll. AP poll is a joke, and has been for a long time, and will continue to be a joke. At least now in the age of the internet we can be aware of who is a moron and who isn't.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"...The best part is that Mike had Iowa State ranked 22nd last week.That means Mike had the Cyclones underrated last week, then dropped them three spots on his ballot this week after they beat Texas by nine points and TCU by double-digits. Put another way, this Iowa State team with more top-50 wins than everybody except Kansas, Arizona and Michigan, and just one loss outside of the top 25 of the RPI, dropped three spots on Mike's ballot after a week in which the Cyclones went 2-0 with a win over a Texas team Mike had ranked 10th last week."

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Which scenario is more likely for a pollster like Barber? He doesn't even pay attention to our games, or he only watched the WVirg game?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Which scenario is more likely for a pollster like Barber? He doesn't even pay attention to our games, or he only watched the WVirg game?

Even if he only watched the WV game, having only 5 total losses while playing in the toughest basketball conference is worthy of more than a ranking of 25th.

So, my only guess is he doesn't pay much attention to college basketball and doesn't realize the Big XII is not the WAC.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
I am thinking everyone saw that Morgantown brain fart and assumes the Cyclones peaked already and have been an over achieving team all year long...They saw the Tech game in Ames was close, and saw the TCU scores were not blowouts by 20+, and just figured that ISU has been struggling and the win over TX in Ames was a game they should have won anyways.....Iowa lost 3 games in Iowa City...What would happen if that happened to ISU this year? We would have been out of the top 25 in a heart beat.

I was watching some Eastern Iowa Fox Sunday Night Sports show, and they were comparing ISU and Iowa as we head into March, and the 'expert' had both Iowa and ISU getting to the Sweet 16, but none to the Final Four. But also went on to pick Iowa to go farther based on 'HOW DEEP' Iowa is.....I laughed...Remember this was from, a Fox Station based out of Cedar Rapids, I think, so it had to favor Iowa.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I think it's that guys like him just look, see Iowa State, then look at our record and give us a ranking. He realizes most people still have us in the top 20, so he really can't go off his rocker and put us out of it, at least not yet.

He's a name dropper. Especially if he had Texas 10th last week. He looks at the name and that's all her cares about.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even if he only watched the WV game, having only 5 total losses while playing in the toughest basketball conference is worthy of more than a ranking of 25th.

So, my only guess is he doesn't pay much attention to college basketball and doesn't realize the Big XII is not the WAC.

ISU has just five losses against a top 10 schedule. If anyone uses some idiotic tool like KenPom to discount that, they're a complete moron. Even the acid trip known as KenPom says our schedule is among the hardest in the nation...it just thinks there's very little value to winning against it unless you do it in a particular way.

I really think the irrational growth in the popularity of KenPom is what's hurting us in human rankings more than anything. I see AP voters reference it all the time in their blogs, it is a horrible, worthless ranking if the goal is to rank teams according to merit for seeding a tournament. Sagarin is drastically better, BPI is drastically better, RPI has it's own anomalies but in general it's better too. KenPom's only worth is some strategic statistical analysis, I'd say it's useful for gambling but Sagarin is just as good and a better ranking system so why bother with it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you think the AP poll is a joke...have you seen the Coaches poll? It is 10 times worse.

50% AP poll, 50% computer ranking average with formulas that don't use margin of victory = best ranking possible

Basically the BCS ranking would be perfect if they used the computer component for 50% but replaced Coaches/Harris with AP for the other 50%. Even as it stands the BCS football rating is the best rating system college football or basketball has ever had.

In basketball I'd take the average of RPI, Sagarin ELO and a few other non-margin of victory polls for half, AP for the other half. Ideal ranking system.