Why do old people

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
i sit down and watch because i want to have some energy for when the team really needs it.

contrary to popular belief, there is not a fanbase in the universe that stands and gets loud all game.

Nobody expects that.... I just wonder why if you are so devoid of energy you stand through the timeouts and sit as soon as the team "needs you".

Hell, if you want to say you'd rather sit the whole game, that's your prerogative. I just don't get why fans stand through timeouts but not right after when the game is going on. Doesn't make any sense.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
I don't intentionally stand during timeouts but that's usually when folks hit the concession stand or crapper.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
So, what is OP's definition of old? 40, 50, 60...? Just curious.

I never understand these threads that pop up after every game. When I go to a game, I watch the game, not the stands. I don't pay attention to who is in their seats and who isn't, who stands and who doesn't, who has an outdated logo or the wrong color shirt, who is cheering and who is not, and who left early. And I stand when everyone stands and sit once people sit back down.

I go to Hilton to enjoy the game, not to take notes on the crowd.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Why are we debating this? CFH and the team is constantly praising the fans and crowd for being one of the best in the country. Can we improve? Sure. Students can show up and non-students can stand and yell after timeouts. The team knows we support them and that's what matters. And we are one of the smarter fanbases in the country. We've been praised over and over for our basketball IQ, including how quiet we get during our free throws and getting loud during a lull in our action. Hilton is constantly called one of the toughest venues to play at in the country, and it has nothing to do with whether or not "old people" stand up after timeouts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why are we debating this? CFH and the team is constantly praising the fans and crowd for being one of the best in the country. Can we improve? Sure. Students can show up and non-students can stand and yell after timeouts. The team knows we support them and that's what matters. And we are one of the smarter fanbases in the country. We've been praised over and over for our basketball IQ, including how quiet we get during our free throws and getting loud during a lull in our action. Hilton is constantly called one of the toughest venues to play at in the country, and it has nothing to do with whether or not "old people" stand up after timeouts.

Well said.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Nobody expects that.... I just wonder why if you are so devoid of energy you stand through the timeouts and sit as soon as the team "needs you".

Hell, if you want to say you'd rather sit the whole game, that's your prerogative. I just don't get why fans stand through timeouts but not right after when the game is going on. Doesn't make any sense.

A lot of old people couldn't sit the whole game..knees/hips/take your pick would lock up. Perhaps standing during timeouts is just to get the blood flowing again. Do it during timeouts because that's when they stop thinking about the game and think "oh, crap, I better stand for a bit, or I'm never getting up".

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I blame the old people for why they don't blast music as loud during timeouts anymore. Old people complained the music gets too loud during timeouts. So now we hit a huge three, crowd goes bonkers, opponent timeout, music isn't loud enough, crowd is awkwardly trying to clap to a song you can't even hear=crowd momentum lost.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
A lot of old people couldn't sit the whole game..knees/hips/take your pick would lock up. Perhaps standing during timeouts is just to get the blood flowing again. Do it during timeouts because that's when they stop thinking about the game and think "oh, crap, I better stand for a bit, or I'm never getting up".

I don't think I am going to buy that.

I don't really care, I just find it odd. And I don't really care that students aren't showing up in full force all that much either, because the system is pretty messed up and obviously isn't working when it comes to tickets/entry. You can't blame a group of thousands of people for something and fix it by yelling at them and just expecting them to suck it up without improving anything.

I absolutely do love the hypocrisy between this thread and the student section thread.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I blame the old people for why they don't blast music as loud during timeouts anymore. Old people complained the music gets too loud during timeouts. So now we hit a huge three, crowd goes bonkers, opponent timeout, music isn't loud enough, crowd is awkwardly trying to clap to a song you can't even hear=crowd momentum lost.

I have no trouble hearing the music and I have lost some of my hearing. As for the clapping...as a person raised with music, I can offer an educated opinion. It's awkward because most of the people around me have no rhythm. They have no concept of clapping in time with ANY music. Makes me crazy sometimes...

Your source for "Old people complained"???

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
I never said I expected the old people (alumni) to stand the whole game. I just wondered why you would be loud through a timeout and then sit back down when the game starts. Why not try to help continue the run we are on

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I have no trouble hearing the music and I have lost some of my hearing. As for the clapping...as a person raised with music, I can offer an educated opinion. It's awkward because most of the people around me have no rhythm. They have no concept of clapping in time with ANY music. Makes me crazy sometimes...

Your source for "Old people complained"???

This is kind of what he was saying. My sister and I laugh every time the fight song plays because it's so loud you can't hear the band very well. There's always that moment where everyone's clapping is off and then finally gets back on track a few lines before it's over. The music is so quiet that it can't be heard over the clapping either to keep everyone in rhythm.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I never said I expected the old people (alumni) to stand the whole game. I just wondered why you would be loud through a timeout and then sit back down when the game starts. Why not try to help continue the run we are on

I do agree with this, I hate it every time I sit down and have asked this question to my fellow ticket holders multiple times.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Take the balcony away from the students and sell to the public. Problem solved. If I can drive in a blizzard from Des Moines to a Saturday game they should be able to walk or take a bus 10 minutes to Hilton. No excuses.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

So the people behind them can see maybe? So the people around him can get out to go the the bathroom or get food from the concession stands?