Student Section

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
WIll probably get bashed for this, but our student section needs some "leaders"! Hilton Magic isnt just about showing up or cheering when only playing ranked teams or rooting for your team only when your team is kicking butt. This thread isn't about who doesn't come, because I'm sure the student ticket fiasco has been hashed over enough already. Sure the team has struggled with holding leads and rebounding, but they need us most when things aren't going well, not just when things are going well. Today's Cyclone power chants...half the students not even participating. Crowd standing...mostly started by the crowds on the side today. Why no signs anymore? Half-full Baylor even had those tonight. Chants coming out of timeouts..why not? Texas is a "huge" game on Tuesday. Our guys deserve a homecourt advantage with a boisterous, supportive crowd...win or lose. Not to mention recruits that are there experiencing it. Seriously, are these the same kids that showed up for KU, Michigan, and Iowa??? Something isn't quite right here, but I don't have the answer. Flame away, but I don't get it.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
The whole game today all I could think about was how ashamed I am of our student section. It is really depressing...

Ps: I am a student and hate how quiet most of the other students are

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Perhaps natural leaders should take over, rather than the political ones who somehow are suppose to be in charge.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
just posted a similar thread. could not believe how crappy our crowd was today. I swear everyone was super hung over or something. worst crowd in 10 years.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
THIS IS AN ENTIRELY NEW CONCEPT WHY HAS NOBODY EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS WE NEED TO DISCUSS THIS OMG KADJFKL;ASDFJKLDSNACKLDNSOIEW

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I always figured that when we got to be a top 20 team for most of a season, the student section would be full. Especially when its been oversold by several hundred tickets.

I was a bit surprised to see several hundred empty seats the last few games.

this isn't exactly boring McDoormat era hoops.

You would hope that 1/20th of the student population would want to addend basketball games.

Last edited:

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I truly believe that some of the reasons many students have stopped going to the games are:
1) first of all many of them were not die hard fans
2) the long lines in the beginning of the season made those not die hard fans think is not worth going to the games
3) Bbaal tickets are sold in a package with football instead of separately

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Well, again, if some people have ideas, that's when your student leaders talk to the athletic administration and see what can be improved. And I somewhat regret starting this thread, because if the same students who cheered feverishly for the Mich/Iowa/KU games aren't coming then they certainly aren't going to look at this thread as relating to them.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Well, again, if some people have ideas, that's when your student leaders talk to the athletic administration and see what can be improved. And I somewhat regret starting this thread, because if the same students who cheered feverishly for the Mich/Iowa/KU games aren't coming then they certainly aren't going to look at this thread as relating to them.

Hey look everybody, this guy finally gets it!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Well my kid there once again. He barely made it into Iowa and KU games cause he had class and went to class instead of camping. Still believe if attending some other games got you better seating for big games, would have better attendance at all games. Still think die hard students should be rewarded. And will still think this after the next game when the topic is brought up again.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I truly believe that some of the reasons many students have stopped going to the games are:
1) first of all many of them were not die hard fans
2) the long lines in the beginning of the season made those not die hard fans think is not worth going to the games
3) Bbaal tickets are sold in a package with football instead of separately

1. This is most of it.
2. If students haven't figured out it's not like that every game than those students are total morons.
3. I really don't think that has anything to do with students not coming to games. Most students who wan't basketball tickets want football tickets. Not to mention that they still oversold the student section by 1,000.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
1. This is most of it.
2. If students haven't figured out it's not like that every game than said students are total morons.
3. I really don't think that has anything to do with students not coming to games. Most students who wan't basketball tickets want football tickets. Not to mention that they still oversold the student section by 1,000.

I agree. I think most just dont really care. Hopefully a good chunk of those get sold to the general public next year, giving students still the opportunity to buy those if the student tix are sold out.

Excuses aside. They SOLD tons of tickets, yet students are choosing to sit in their dorms.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
1. This is most of it.
2. If students haven't figured out it's not like that every game than said students are total morons.
If anything 3 is reversed. I bought basketball tickets primarily and the football tickets were a bonus.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The students who frequent here aren't the problem.

If your problem is with the Cyclone alley committee, you'd be better off emailing JP. We can't do anything about that.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Apparently you skipped the entire McDermott era.

I was there. I am obviously accounting for time and situation. again we are a top 15 team in the best conference in the country. We don't fill the student section. No signs. Super quiet from the start. terrible performance from the student section. I only harp on the students, because I was one. The students lead the rest of the crowd. When the students are crazy, it allows the old folks to get crazy. Hilton just isn't the same without them.