Harold Nichols open

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
This is so typical of our wrestling program. It sounds like we will have some top notch wrestlers here on Saturday, but who would know?? If Minnesota is bringing their starters, that is worth the effort to attend right there. We are finally getting somewhere on the mat, and a nice improvement in recruiting this year, but the website and marketing remain same old same old. Someone needs a kick in the pants to increase efforts build on the momentum on the mat and move the program to a higher level of attention.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Teams don't have to announce who and if they are coming until the very end. West Virginia is staying for the Open and I assume UNI will bring some guys.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hell, there will be guys changing weight classes after weigh-in. Such is the life of an early-season open tournament.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
My point is that we are hosting a decent tournament, which will include some good college wrestlers, and I have seen no promotion or publicity about it. Darn shame for a school with this history in wrestling and for a program trying to get back to national status.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
looking at Track this morning (new layout caught me by surprise) I took a screenshot of the teams that are coming.

2013-11-15_0813.png

All of those teams can be clicked on and you can see the wrestlers.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
My point is that we are hosting a decent tournament, which will include some good college wrestlers, and I have seen no promotion or publicity about it. Darn shame for a school with this history in wrestling and for a program trying to get back to national status.

It has nothing to do with ISU's history, promotion, or marketing.

This is an event -- like so many other early-season open tournaments -- where you literally don't know who's all going to be competing until they actually show up on Saturday morning to weigh in.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
David Thorn of Minnesota is out, but sounds like rest of Minnesota starters will be here.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Still, the main point is that it is a big event for which we have heard nothing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Whenever top-ranked NCAA athletes compete, I consider it a big event. It may not be the national championship for men's basketball, but it is an event that is big enough to merit some promotion. Which again, is the main point.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Whenever top-ranked NCAA athletes compete, I consider it a big event.

You know, because there may be almost 10 All-Americans in the entire field. Go to hell, Southern Scuffle. The Harold Nichols Open is where the big boys play.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Hope we can at least get brackets this year as there was none available last year. IMO it isn't a ran very well

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hope we can at least get brackets this year as there was none available last year. IMO it isn't a ran very well

There weren't brackets last year because guys who didn't make weight simply bumped up a class. They had to completely redraw every bracket, which is why the event started late and only coaches got copies of brackets.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
There weren't brackets last year because guys who didn't make weight simply bumped up a class. They had to completely redraw every bracket, which is why the event started late and only coaches got copies of brackets.
So is it that hard to print 100 copies instead of 25??? It's not like there were many fans in attendance.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Anyone who attended the duals last evening knows all that we need to know. Attendance was horrible. Midlands, as an NAIA school, is no big draw, and WV is hardly big time, but the pathetic attendance has to be a concern to the program. For sure, a few successes will help to bring some people back, and it was great to see our guys generally being more aggressive than in past seasons. But I was shocked by the low turn-out when I arrived. Poor marketing will only make this situatio worse.

But the good news last night is we saw a much better team than we saw at this time last year. Progress is being made.