Harold Nichols open

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I didn't think attendance was *that* bad last night, especially given it was both HS state volleyball and football playoffs and, as many have pointed out, ISU was wrestling some mediocre teams. Sure there were a lot of empty seats, but more people filtered in for WVa. I did see quite a few other student athletes come out and support the wrestlers, too, which I thought was nice.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Any more updates? I have been following the blog some, but the brackets aren't updating fast at all. Hoping to catch at least highlights on cyclones.tv later (they mentioned it in the blog). Mentioned finals might be shown, but now not sure.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Whenever top-ranked NCAA athletes compete, I consider it a big event. It may not be the national championship for men's basketball, but it is an event that is big enough to merit some promotion. Which again, is the main point.
... and you just showed that you have no idea on how tourneys like this work. This isn't Midlands, Southern Scuffle, or the NCAA tourney. This is a "come here to wrestle and get the rust out" tournament. Not a big honor tourney.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
College open tourneys are not spectator events. The idea is to get it done ASAP or it would take until tge early hours of the morning.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Outside of the usual suspects not much of a tourney for us. Weatherspoon wrestled Storley tough. Good to see that. HWT is a mess and sooner or later you guys will see Terikuna has a long, long way to go and just may not get there.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
When Beard returns to the lineup I wouldn't be surprised to see a wrestle off between Weatherspoon and Weatherman for the spot at 174. Weatherspoon lost 8-6 to Storley and Weatherman got majored 9-1 in the finals against Storley...

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Outside of the usual suspects not much of a tourney for us. Weatherspoon wrestled Storley tough. Good to see that. HWT is a mess and sooner or later you guys will see Terikuna has a long, long way to go and just may not get there.

I'm not sure why you continue to be so negative? I will say props to Quean for getting two pins today. Terukina is wrestling up a class this year and got beat by the #5 kid in the nation at 141 so saying he has "a long, long way to go and just may not get there" is not necessary.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
... and you just showed that you have no idea on how tourneys like this work. This isn't Midlands, Southern Scuffle, or the NCAA tourney. This is a "come here to wrestle and get the rust out" tournament. Not a big honor tourney.

Still, why wouldn't you promote this? If it was held in Iowa City, I suspect it would be promoted better.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was overall happy with the results. True freshman, Briceno and Pestano look great. Nicholson looked great as did Moreno, Weatherspoon, and Meeks. I thought Larson looked good and Gabe got stronger as the day went on. Gadsen wrestled a close match with #2 Schiller. Moreno won and looked dominating over Zilverberg.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not sure why you continue to be so negative? I will say props to Quean for getting two pins today. Terukina is wrestling up a class this year and got beat by the #5 kid in the nation at 141 so saying he has "a long, long way to go and just may not get there" is not necessary.

Wrestling up a weight? First I have heard about it.

This us only about the debates here and nothing against the kid. You have to respect him for what he did two years ago but the fact remains his results look nothing like that of a D1 starter. He lost to #5 today but he also got pinned in 30 seconds by a D2 kid who did not place.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
The Harold Nichols Open is not a big event.

Tell that to our wrestlers. Moreno as a winner, plus all the runners up, and the 3rd place finishes; tell them that this is not a big event. The more the program is publicized, the prouder our kids will feel about being a Cyclone. Plain and simple.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA

This us only about the debates here and nothing against the kid. You have to respect him for what he did two years ago but the fact remains his results look nothing like that of a D1 starter. He lost to #5 today but he also got pinned in 30 seconds by a D2 kid who did not place.

And that happens it's life. Goettl beat Maple last year and didn't place at the Harold Nichols today, but I'm not going to say that he might not "get there" or say that he doesn't look like a D1 starter because of his performance..

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Tell that to our wrestlers. Moreno as a winner, plus all the runners up, and the 3rd place finishes; tell them that this is not a big event. The more the program is publicized, the prouder our kids will feel about being a Cyclone. Plain and simple.

I was excited for this event and for this year in general. It isn't going to be a national title year, but there will be plenty to cheer about.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA

He wrestled 133 last year. Wrestling - Roster - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - [url]www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports[/URL]

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Let me be clear. I have posted negatively about team marketing, but I am very pleased by the progress of our program on the mat. I love to watch Weatherspoon wrestle, for example. He brings it, that is for sure. Moreno is more than solid and I have seen real progress by a number of wrestlers. I get the impression that some guys are only going to get better - I am specifically referring to Gabe Moreno as one. Friday night, he gave up points because his opponent spent the whole time countering - and got points out of this strategy. Gabe will figure this out so I see a great future for him.

I was, and still am, really pleased by the decision to bring in Nickerson; I have to wonder if gettingBoston this year was at least partly his doing. Our lighter weight classes clearly need to improve, but there are signs of that happening.

I am also pleased by the success in recruiting, and the resulting depth we have at a number of weight classes. That speaks to better competition in the room and competition for space on the roster.

Indeed, there is much to be pleased about.

So, I want to be clear that the burr in my saddle has nothing to do with the wrestlers. I am totally frustrated by the management of the program and especially marketing. It is bad, and no one can say it isn't. Whether it is income, or recruiting success - and just the guys feeling proud of their program - marketing is critical - and it simply is not there. I suspect budget has something to do with it, but with the likes of Hall, Moreno, Gadsen and Weatherman, and perhaps also Weatherspoon, there is no reason why we cannot get 4,000 in the stands on a regular basis. Moreno, Gadsen and Weatherman are Iowa boys and that alone makes it easier to get bums in the seats - or at least it should.

As one example, chatting Friday night with folks around us in the stands, not one person knew we had signed Boston - a #1 ranked recruit in his weight class and the team faithful - the folks who showed up Friday night - were unaware of this. All of them! Sorry, this is not acceptable - not for Iowa State wrestling in general, and not for a team ranked in the top 10 that want's (hopefully) to get into the top 5 nationally. No acceptable at all.

Reactions: LindenCy

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
This is so typical of our wrestling program. It sounds like we will have some top notch wrestlers here on Saturday, but who would know?? If Minnesota is bringing their starters, that is worth the effort to attend right there. We are finally getting somewhere on the mat, and a nice improvement in recruiting this year, but the website and marketing remain same old same old. Someone needs a kick in the pants to increase efforts build on the momentum on the mat and move the program to a higher level of attention.

For what it's worth, I coached a Div 1 club team today in a D1 open, and a lot of coaches were talking about how the HN Open is one of the best Open tournaments right now, and how there were a ton of stud wrestlers in the mix. In the wrestling world it has a reputation, but I agree there should be more marketing to make this a marquee event.

Who's going to email JP? :jimlad: