Why does Wally get a pass from most posters

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I agree the offense is beyond bad. If we arent getting stuffed at the line the QB is running for his life or the receivers are dropping passes. My problem is most are laying all are problems strictly on the offense. Time of possession is what everyone hangs their hat on. Saying the D is out there way too much but in most cases TOP is not that uneven and the D is giving up points right and left. These are short drives, long drives and everything in between. We may be able to throw a few good series together but I dont see the love. Yesterday we could have put ourselves in great position having TCU at 1st and ten at their 1 yard line. 74 yards later TCU has great field position. The D get a turnover but in our territory. How many games have we given up a long drive at the end of the game? I think Wally has done OK but I dont think he should get a pass.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I agree the offense is beyond bad. If we arent getting stuffed at the line the QB is running for his life or the receivers are dropping passes. My problem is most are laying all are problems strictly on the offense. Time of possession is what everyone hangs their hat on. Saying the D is out there way too much but in most cases TOP is not that uneven and the D is giving up points right and left. These are short drives, long drives and everything in between. We may be able to throw a few good series together but I dont see the love. Yesterday we could have put ourselves in great position having TCU at 1st and ten at their 1 yard line. 74 yards later TCU has great field position. The D get a turnover but in our territory. How many games have we given up a long drive at the end of the game? I think Wally has done OK but I dont think he should get a pass.

So we are complaining about the defense getting a stop?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Offense scores 3 real points against a horrible TCU team AT HOME....

Defense gets blamed.

OK

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
For the last time, Wally has proven he is capable of having a good defense. This year the defense is down and has shown some promise from time to time. He's had one bad year as DC. He needs to be held accountable, but isn't at the point where replacing him should be part of the conversation.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
If it makes OP feel better, the rumor is pretty strong that Wally is retiring at the end of the year.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
So we are complaining about the defense getting a stop?
My complaint was the D got a stop after giving up 74 yards in two plays. Give me more than a couple of instances where we had a punt downed inside the 10 and forced a punt. Most times it turns out more like the TCU game. I get the bend dont break but how about when we get a team trapped inside the 10 we try to keep them there and give the offense good field position.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For the last time, Wally has proven he is capable of having a good defense. This year the defense is down and has shown some promise from time to time. He's had one bad year as DC. He needs to be held accountable, but isn't at the point where replacing him should be part of the conversation.

There's also plenty of times when the defense, while not good, has at least done its overall job and forced the other team to punt, only to have ISU's O return the favor by going 3 and out.

Heck, they even made Baylor punt early. I believe they had K-State go 3 and out something like 3 times in a row when the game was still somewhat within reach (17-0).

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This/End thread.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
My complaint was the D got a stop after giving up 74 yards in two plays. Give me more than a couple of instances where we had a punt downed inside the 10 and forced a punt. Most times it turns out more like the TCU game. I get the bend dont break but how about when we get a team trapped inside the 10 we try to keep them there and give the offense good field position.

You make it sound like our defenses goal was to give up 70 plus yards, then get the turnover. It's not like the bend but don't break means you can't force a three and out. Wally's defense was still trying to force a three and out if not force a safety. Not to mention our defense really hasn't been as much bend but don't break this year. We've brought more blitzes and left the corners in single coverage more often.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
100% correct. Just two years ago Wally schemed a perfect game plan against the unstoppable force to get our biggest win in school history. He didn't lose his knowledge overnight, he just has a lot of youth. Let's be honest too the defense knows they can't give up any points since the offense is so inept. I think the defense does get down on themselves when they give up a score because they have to be the unit that wins the game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Wally doesn't get a pass either, didn't you read the "fire everyone" thread?

This football season on cyclone fanatic can be summed up by that James van der beek gif

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Wally gets a pass until all dumb threads stop! Based on this thread and other threads this season he should be safe for years to come!

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
The offense has taken ineptitude to ridiculous levels which overshadows the glaring holes on defense, which the common fan would attribute to the lack of rest the defense is getting due to the weekly no-show act of the offense.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I'd just like to say congratulations to Naz Long for a breakout game today in front of an amazing crowd. Also, congratulations to the Cyclone Men for getting a convincing win this afternoon.